Mesa preamps into fender amp for the power

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluezyBruce

Reaction score
Are there many people using Mesa preamps and mono out into other amps for power like for instance Fender or other guitar amps?

i dunno, but metallica used to slave the mesa amps into marshalls, and lots of people mix and match pre's and power amps. dave mustaine has used rocktron, line 6 and custom audio pre's into marshall and vht power amps...

its a matter of taste.. and on record (or cd or whatever we are supposed to call new recordings) who knows what people actually use to get the sounds they do. i'd say go for it if thats what your wondering... if you already have one piece and want the other. just find a dealer that lets you return within 30 days.

I used my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (6L6 power) as a power amp for years. I ran an ADA MP-1 into the Power Amp In jack and ran out to a 4x12. (Carrying the combo around just as a power amp was a pain, but I was 18 and poor.)

I can vouch for the Fender power section. I was using it for metal and it sounded great. It was a 40 watt amp with two 6L6's.

A good friend of mine used to run his studio pre into a fender super twin... sounded fantastic!

I am glad to hear that have done this. I figured someone was doing that somewhere. Now I just need to figure out if I want 40 or 28 watts for power, and what preamp to use. Rectro pre, studio, Formula, Triaxis...

Bruce

If you're going into the input jack of any guitar amp, you've got to remember that the Treble-Bass-Mid controls will affect the sound of the pre-amp. That maybe be a good thing to you or it may be a bad thing.

On the good side, you've got an extra set of tone controls. You can give it some extra scoop. If you were use the classic Treble=6, Bass=6, Mid=6 , the traditional Fender tone stack will give you a wicked deep mid scoop around 500 Hz. Some people like that sound. For others, that is too much of a change. It may color the sound of your pre-amp too much.

If you want to avoid this, you should use the amp's "power amp in" jack. That'll bypass all of the controls on the guitar amp. If it doesn't have a "power amp in" jack, you should plug your pre-amp into the "effects return". If it doesn't have one of those, then you're forced to plug into the input jack.

Going into the front of the amp like this, you're forced to go through the tone controls. To minimize their effect on the pre-amp's sound, turn the Treble and Bass down to zero and turn the Mid up to 6-7 (mid doesn't matter too much when the T and B are at zero). Contrary to what the numbers on the knobs say, on a traditional-style Fender amp this T=0 / B=0 / M=6 configuration will make the EQ flat. It'll have no high, mid, nor low emphasis. It'll just be even. That's probably the sound you want for your pre-amp.

Chip

I ran my studio pre into the front of my old Bandmaster head for a few years. That was an amazing rig man.

Scott

Back