Mesa: Perfect the way it is?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

After doing numerous tube swaps, trying to acheive a seemingly better tone, I decided to go back to the stock tubes, and see how the amp was to begin with.

:shock:

The stock tubes are really not that bad.....I have my REAL recto back again.

I went through JJ GZ-34 (too stiff), JJ 6L6s (too dark), JJ E-34Ls (amp lost some balls....very nice otherwise), and constantly found myself searching.....

I'm happy I went back. I'm very happy with the sound again, and it left me thinking.....we go through all these tubes, thinking we can improve our tone, but Mesas start off with very good tone! Why mess with something that is already so good....it sent me on a "tone search" in vague for the last few months.

So, in the end, instead of playing, which is the most important part, I tried to pick apart something that is very good to start.

After my stock tubes go, I plan to give Doug's recommendation as a retube a shot....Tung Sol in V1, with SED or Ruby 6L6s.....but this will be once I HAVE to swap. Until then, I'm not messing with it anymore. Another thing I hope to try in the future are the Mesa 5U4G coke bottle rectifiers....but again, with time.

Just ranting, but for those constantly not happy......you're starting off with amazing tone. Don't mess with it, as it makes the simple enjoyment of playing much more difficult.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

After doing numerous tube swaps, trying to acheive a seemingly better tone, I decided to go back to the stock tubes, and see how the amp was to begin with.

I went through JJ GZ-34 (too stiff), JJ 6L6s (too dark), JJ E-34Ls (amp lost some balls....very nice otherwise), and constantly found myself searching.....

Im not saying replacing the stock tubes with another brand is wrong but all the R&D that go into the amp is done with stock Mesa tubes . Something to consider .

I'm happy I went back. I'm very happy with the sound again, and it left me thinking.....we go through all these tubes, thinking we can improve our tone, but Mesas start off with very good tone! Why mess with something that is already so good....it sent me on a "tone search" in vague for the last few months.

So, in the end, instead of playing, which is the most important part, I tried to pick apart something that is very good to start.

After my stock tubes go, I plan to give Doug's recommendation as a retube a shot....Tung Sol in V1, with SED or Ruby 6L6s.....but this will be once I HAVE to swap. Until then, I'm not messing with it anymore. Another thing I hope to try in the future are the Mesa 5U4G coke bottle rectifiers....but again, with time.

Just ranting, but for those constantly not happy......you're starting off with amazing tone. Don't mess with it, as it makes the simple enjoyment of playing much more difficult.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

Im not saying replacing the stock tubes with another brand is wrong but all the R&D that goes into the amp is done with stock Mesa tubes . Something to consider .

I've been a tube and speaker swapper with every amp I've owned. They were never quite right and needed some improvement. I can honestly say that with my Stiletto Ace 1x12 I haven't even thought about replacing the speaker or tubes. This thing sounds so good right out of the box and leaves me wanting for nothing. Man, I luv this amp!

Well dude:

I am with you one hundred %

After trying lots of tubes and listening to a lot of guys, i prefer the Mesa Tubes in my Tremoverb.
They know what they are doing.....

And , and i don't know if it is in my head, they last longer too.

That's how I eventually came to it too.....the amp is made around those parts.....I think they made it that way for a reason.

Its all prt of their master plan for world amp domination...

Actually in my DR Roadster I have settled on what I think is the best combination for my tone, a very different complement of tubes than any of you I am sure:
v1 12ax7 (JJs)
v2 12at7 (JJ)
v3 12at7 (JJ)
the rest: 12ax7 (JJ)
For power I am running a combination of EL34s (2 - stock mesas) and 6V6s (JJ) on EL34 Setting.
The at7s take out some of the gain without reducing tone in the preamp section, and on the power side the EL34s give good articulation and the 6V6s add the nice bottom end thump...great combination.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

My LSC is stock. I am still finding great tones with the stock tubes. I agree that Mesa probably uses those tubes for a reason. I get tone I am happy with in all the different cofigurations, (50 watt, 100, tube rectifier, silicon diode). Occasionally, I'll get it dialed in where the notes just jump off it and I get great controllable feedback. (then I change it!). I guess when I figure out every sound I can get out of the stock tubes, I'll think of switching.

I've always liked Boogie tubes best, maybe because my ears are used to them?? I tried some different brand tubes in my Road King, all highly recommended, and I didn't like what I heard and put my old Boogie tubes back in.

The only other tubes that I've found I liked in a Boogie, I found by "accident" when my drummers cymbol stand fell and broke the tubes in my Rectoverb and the only music store open in the town we were in only carried Groove Tubes, so I had to get them and I really liked them and kept them in until I sold it.

I agree. I heard so much hype around the JJ tubes that I retubed my DR with JJ pre and power amp tubes about a year ago. It sounded alright, but after I dialed out some of the darkness from those tubes, I ended up right about where I started. I also got a bad preamp tube from Bob at Eurotubes that he didn't replace. It wasn't a big deal but it left a sour taste in my mouth regarding JJ's and Bob at Eurotubes. I replaced that bad JJ preamp tube with another one from Tube Depot and my amp has sounded fine ever since....but when it comes time to retube it I will probably just go back to Mesa tubes.

Another reason why I am staying with Mesa tubes is because they have always been very reliable for me. I even use old Mesa tubes as back up tubes at gigs because I swapped them out for preventative maintenance reasons but they still sounded great. I don't care what brand of tubes you like for their tone, a blown tube at a gig is the worst sounding tube out there! I know Mesa tubes aren't perfect, but until they give me a reason to jump ship I'm going to stick with them.

Yes, it gets rather mundane constantly reading about which tubes do this or that, and who's using what? This would also apply to guitars and pickup swaps! Get back to playing! Have'nt you heard where most of your tone comes from? Your fingers!:wink:

I have to agree - all this tube mojo is fine, but really consider this:

You trust MESA to design your amp thus defining your tone, would logic not dictate that you trust them to pick the best tubes??

BWK

I was fortunate enough to have a bad experience with Bob right away and didn't end up spending a fortune on tube experimentation. I went back to the somewhat stock Mesa's(branded SED STR-454) and really feel like the amp is doing what it's supposed to.

Boogiewan Kenobi said:
I have to agree - all this tube mojo is fine, but really consider this:

You trust MESA to design your amp thus defining your tone, would logic not dictate that you trust them to pick the best tubes??

BWK

TheRazMeister said:
I was fortunate enough to have a bad experience with Bob right away and didn't end up spending a fortune on tube experimentation.

That seems to be pretty consitant to what I've heard from other people. Bob seems to give good customer service until the sale is complete but if you have a problem....

Anyone who has worked in sales or customer service understands that it is how you treat the customer AFTER the sale that sets you apart.

I'll end up sticking with Mesa's tubes (or maybe Groove Tubes) from here on out.

I only had one experience with bob and it was alright, but i didn't have trouble with my tubes. Other than the fact that i prefered the Mesa Tubes over them..So a +1 to that statement.

I have heard enough negative feedback to look elsewhere with my business also.

I am totally happy with the stock Mesa tubes. Granted I haven't tried anything else in it yet but I don't feel the need to change. I did think about changing the rectifier tubes to the GZ34's but now I like the differences between the 5U4G and the diodes. Just more tones to play with!

Speaking of tubes, I just put 6L6's back into my Roadster. I really missed the beatiful clean sounds with those. So for now, I'm running my MKIV with 2 El's and 2 6L's and my Roadster with all 6L's. I have enough tonal variation for what I do....until, I hear another Stilletto Ace combo.....

Yea, I agree..........after many years of switching stuff I am now sticking with the way stuff comes. The manufacturers are the experts. All stock for me from now on...........If it doesn't sound good to me from the get go, I get something else.

Latest posts

Back