Mesa Mark V vs Diezel Herbert

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redchannel

Reaction score
hi there! i'm a very happy owner of a Diezel Herbert. unfortunatelly i have to sell it.
asap i hope to get another amp and i'm thinking about getting a Mark V head.

i mainly play metallica, black sabbath (old and new stuff).

is the Mark V capable to get Metallica heavy tones? (yes, i know the mark v has 3 type of distortion, but..).

i mean i have a Herbert, i'm afraid not to find the big distortion with the mark v.
from you tube videos it's not that clear if the mark v could reach that amount of anger.

thanx!

Why are you selling the Diezel??

I use an AC+overdrive pedal with my MKV for the real heavy drive.

redchannel said:
hi there! i'm a very happy owner of a Diezel Herbert. unfortunatelly i have to sell it.
asap i hope to get another amp and i'm thinking about getting a Mark V head.

i mainly play metallica, black sabbath (old and new stuff).

is the Mark V capable to get Metallica heavy tones? (yes, i know the mark v has 3 type of distortion, but..).

i mean i have a Herbert, i'm afraid not to find the big distortion with the mark v.
from you tube videos it's not that clear if the mark v could reach that amount of anger.

thanx!

Hi Redchannel,

Metallica used Mark series amps to record Master of Puppets, And Justice for All, and their eponymous album (the "Black Album"). So, yes, getting a heavy Metallica tone is easy and straightforward with the V.

hi eudaimonia02912 thanx!

i know Metallica used mark II c+, modded marshalls and so on for Mop, but (probably) they were modded or pumped with pedals and other stuff

i'm afraid the mark v could maybe yes, get around there, with the gain on full but not that much.

i mean the herbert has distortion and saturation to cover black metal and very dark heavy tones.

i fear not to have the same result with the new mark v.
and i hate to use a booster to pump the head.

(i don't wanto to get dual or triple rectifier heads or roadster)

With the correct guitar, pickups, and eq settings you shouldn't have to turn the gain up past 2:00. Metallica doesn't use as much gain as people think. In my opinion the Mark V has enough gain and saturation available on it's own that someone who plays well shouldn't ever have to turn it up all the way. Pedals and too much gain just cover up technique.

i'm ok with you of course but listen albums like mop or ride the lightning or ajfa, there distortion is very toght and present, it's not a overdrive for sure.

some amps couldn't reach that level.

as i have a herbert, where distortion and saturation are moooooore than you could imgine ;)

i was afraid not to find a decent distortion on the mark V, that apart distortion i like a lot too

Don't worry. You will get MOP AJFA and Black album tones perfectly with the Mark IV. No pedals needed except a tuner.

I don't think the Mark V has as much gain as some other modern hi gain amps. I used to play my Marshall JVM almost exclusively and it was a major shock to me when I turned the gain up on my Mark V and Road King and didn't find that same level of insane distortion. I eventually grew to love the Mesa sound but we shouldn't kid ourselves and say that Mesa amps are as high gain as the Herbert, JVM, Invader, etc. The Mesa philosophy stays away from that kind of crazy gain for something that always stays musical. I think if you buy a Mark V, you will probably be a little disappointed at first but once you play it live or record with it, you will start to understand why you don't need so much gain. You can get really nice high gain sounds out of the Mark V but be prepared to be challenged on the thought that you need crazy amouns of gain.

I was told recently, here, that a Mark V could easily do Black or Death Metal... can't it? When I tested it, I played at quite low levels, the amp was just removed from the box... and it sounded great.
The other guitar in my band has as his main amp a Mesa F-100.
Can't the MarkV do that kind of high gain?? I'm pretty shure it can, but you are right, it is so defined...

When you get a Mark V (this seemed to me, as I still don't have mine, only by the end of the year) you will learn to play better, as all the faulty playing will be more present...

Maybe I was so staggered by playing a mark V that my ears didn't heard it properly. hehehehe

If you need more gain or saturation than the V offers, you can always just get a boost pedal. Some people hate doing this, but I've generally had results. I've even had some amps with more gain than one could ever need, but which sounded better with the gain down and a boost in front.

More importantly, it's worth noting that when you hear a typical metal album, the guitar sounds are layered and multi-tracked. Often the individual tracks don't have that much gain, but when layered, they sound highly saturated.

redchannel:

If you are so happy with the Herbert.....why MUST you sell it now! While I have never owned or even played through Diezel Herbert.....I am sure many great tones reside in that amp!

FWIW....I do own a Diezel Einstein and Love the great sounds I can achieve out of it!

However, my go to amp for rehearsals and gigs is my Mark V. Honestly, it has everything that I have ever wanted in an amp......great footswitchable sounds available for me in all 3 channels.....post graphic EQ or preset knob selectable and footswitchable for each channel....independent reverb knobs for each channel...footswitchable.....selectable power amp settings in each channel.......and not to forget the solo boost feature that I wear out during practices and gigs to get the right amount of volume balance for rhythm and lead playing with the band. YMMV.

Why MUST you sell your Herbert if you are very happy with the sounds you are able to achieve with it? Just curious.

As an owner of Diezel Herbert and ENGL Invader currently,
I'm planning to get a Mark V head and worrying about the gain capability of it.

I did own Recto long time before and really don't like the tone.
I'm not able to test before buying it, so I really wish Mark V won't let me down.

MBJunkie said:
redchannel:

If you are so happy with the Herbert.....why MUST you sell it now! While I have never owned or even played through Diezel Herbert.....I am sure many great tones reside in that amp!

FWIW....I do own a Diezel Einstein and Love the great sounds I can achieve out of it!

However, my go to amp for rehearsals and gigs is my Mark V. Honestly, it has everything that I have ever wanted in an amp......great footswitchable sounds available for me in all 3 channels.....post graphic EQ or preset knob selectable and footswitchable for each channel....independent reverb knobs for each channel...footswitchable.....selectable power amp settings in each channel.......and not to forget the solo boost feature that I wear out during practices and gigs to get the right amount of volume balance for rhythm and lead playing with the band. YMMV.

Why MUST you sell your Herbert if you are very happy with the sounds you are able to achieve with it? Just curious.

i have to sell it to get back money at the moment, then i like to try other brands, i've always wanted to get a Mesa ;)

the Herbert is fantastic and more of course but i want something thighter, different. the Herbert is yet tight but it's a looser feel.

evilsaint said:
As an owner of Diezel Herbert and ENGL Invader currently,
I'm planning to get a Mark V head and worrying about the gain capability of it.

I did own Recto long time before and really don't like the tone.
I'm not able to test before buying it, so I really wish Mark V won't let me down.

we're in the same boat ;)

Gunnski said:
I don't think the Mark V has as much gain as some other modern hi gain amps. I used to play my Marshall JVM almost exclusively and it was a major shock to me when I turned the gain up on my Mark V and Road King and didn't find that same level of insane distortion. I eventually grew to love the Mesa sound but we shouldn't kid ourselves and say that Mesa amps are as high gain as the Herbert, JVM, Invader, etc. The Mesa philosophy stays away from that kind of crazy gain for something that always stays musical. I think if you buy a Mark V, you will probably be a little disappointed at first but once you play it live or record with it, you will start to understand why you don't need so much gain. You can get really nice high gain sounds out of the Mark V but be prepared to be challenged on the thought that you need crazy amouns of gain.

diezel amps stay still musical too. let's say they're distortion is different from any other amp.

eudaimonia02912 said:
If you need more gain or saturation than the V offers, you can always just get a boost pedal. Some people hate doing this, but I've generally had results. I've even had some amps with more gain than one could ever need, but which sounded better with the gain down and a boost in front.

More importantly, it's worth noting that when you hear a typical metal album, the guitar sounds are layered and multi-tracked. Often the individual tracks don't have that much gain, but when layered, they sound highly saturated.

i hate the idea of using a boost :twisted: :lol: :D

eudaimonia02912 said:

:idea: yes ;) even when you record youself you can hear the difference form the real amp and recorded result

Latest posts

Back