Mesa mark iv. What cab for home playing ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psihiatros

Reaction score
Hi !

I live in an appartment and i have this head (plus a hughes and kettner triamp wich i consider to sell).

Anyway, i am in search for a cab that can play good with the mesa at low volumes.
I thought about mesa thiele, recto 2x12, royal atlantic 27", bogner 2x12, and evh 5153 4x12.
I will buy used.
I read that the thiele doesn't sound good at low volumes, the recto has v30 in it and these speakers dont sound so good when you playing alone.
I have read good things about the royal atlantic 27" but i missed one a week ago and also good things about the evh 4x12 cab that because of the greenback been smaller speaker with low sensitivity, make it a better overall cab for lower volumes that compliment also the boogie.

What do you guys think?

psihiatros said:
Hi !

I live in an appartment and i have this head (plus a hughes and kettner triamp wich i consider to sell).

Anyway, i am in search for a cab that can play good with the mesa at low volumes.
I thought about mesa thiele, recto 2x12, royal atlantic 27", bogner 2x12, and evh 5153 4x12.
I will buy used.
I read that the thiele doesn't sound good at low volumes, the recto has v30 in it and these speakers dont sound so good when you playing alone.
I have read good things about the royal atlantic 27" but i missed one a week ago and also good things about the evh 4x12 cab that because of the greenback been smaller speaker with low sensitivity, make it a better overall cab for lower volumes that compliment also the boogie.

What do you guys think?

After experiences for more than 40 years I can tell you not to expect too much while searching for the "right cab" with "right speaker" with the intention playing at low volumes with your setup.
Marks are NOT concepted for playing at low volumes, so looking for a "better" cab/speaker will let you have only a slight improvement at the end.
Playing with "low volumes/mostly with the preamp section" is a complete different world.
As you said this is also valid for the Thiele(EVM) cabs. They really launch as rocked only when playing loudly.

Despite I prefer using my Thieles/EVM also for low volumes ever since and without complaining while knowing this fact.......

Back