Mesa half back cabs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temps

Reaction score
I just found an old school Mesa half back cabinet locally. The top is open and the bottom is closed, and its got a cool old school grill and logo on it. What kind of cab is this? How good are they?

They are from the mid to late eighties and very early nineties. There are many different speaker combinations so the price should reflect that. I think all of these cabs came with an MC90 on top but I am not positive on that. If the speakers look purple on the bottom then they are most likely stock eminence 50 watters, if the cones are smooth then they are likely EV 12l's, if they are ribbed and look like the top pair then they could be MC90's or Eminence 150 watters. I have a 212 cab with the MC90 open back up top and EV 12L ported on the bottom and it just sounds great with tons of lows. I like the EV better than the MC90 but I think the MC90 is smoother than a V30 would be.

My 212 cab originally had the eminence on the bottom but I found a cheap 12L on ebay right away. Another cool feature of my cab is the Mono/stereo plate that is not common on a lot of these cabs. If you have a mono/stereo plate it will tell you what speakers it came with from the factory (in my case Cel/vint).

Personally, I would prefer 2 212 cabs because the bottom speaker is ported and would seemingly have more cubic ft of space inside. They also fit a short head on top if you didn't need 4 12's running.

I think they are worth a look if you can try it out first. I paid a little much for mine but everything in Japan is expensive to begin with. I am just glad I found one locally that's in really good condition.

Greg

I also have a 2x12 halfback cab and wouldn't swap it for anything! With the tuned and ported bottom (much more internal space than the 1x12 theile cab) and the open back top you get the best of both worlds combined. I found I prefer the EV-12L (with their 100db @1watt @1meter efficiency)in both top and bottom. I'll never need to lug around another 4x12. Starting to see a few of these come out on the bay lately. You won't be dissapointed with this incredibly versatile cab. The idea was so good that Mesa now calls the new version of it a Roadking cabinet.

Restless Rocks said:
I also have a 2x12 halfback cab and wouldn't swap it for anything! With the tuned and ported bottom (much more internal space than the 1x12 theile cab) and the open back top you get the best of both worlds combined. I found I prefer the EV-12L (with their 100db @1watt @1meter efficiency)in both top and bottom. I'll never need to lug around another 4x12. Starting to see a few of these come out on the bay lately. You won't be dissapointed with this incredibly versatile cab. The idea was so good that Mesa now calls the new version of it a Roadking cabinet.

Does the EV fit up top without modding the cab?

Greg

I said it before and I'll say it again, I was a fool for selling my 4 EVM 4x12. I soooo wish I had it again to play my Roadster through. The one I have now with G12-65s and MS 12s is pretty sweet, but ****...

I was dumb.

I thought was odd when I was watching you sell them. I thought that maybe you were a dealer or something. Or maybe you just got tired of the weight of the cabs. I also saw you sell some Thieles right?

What are you playing through now?

Yeah, I was tired of schleping them around. That all EVM cab was super heavy. I mean REALLY heavy. I bought the Thieles thinking I could get close without the weight. Soon after getting them I quit playing out as much, so moving something heavy around wasn't as much of an issue anymore. If we're jamming in my basement, why not have something that sounds like what I want?

Plus, I guess I just like 4x12s better for the kind of music I play.

I told the kids who were trying out my blonde 4x12 that I was making a mistake selling it. I'm sure they thought it was some sort of sales ploy, but I really meant it. I just didn't feel it was right to back out of a deal once it was made.

Too smart too late.

My Boogie 4-12 Half Back (bottom half had EVs in it) with a Mark III Head was the best sound I ever had. Miss that rig, but I can't even lift it anymore! KILLER Cab!!!

I know I'll probably be waiting in line, but if any of you see one of these old vertical 2x12 cabs with EV and Celestion combo, let me know....... :shock:

I absolutely love the halfback cabs and won't use any others. :D
It has such a killer blend of tones, you can't go wrong. Mesa hit one out of the park with these babies imho & I'm really surprised they don't reissue these per spec. The RK cab is awesome and more modern but you can't beat the tone of these old school tanks, smaller, tighter with big warm waves of tone !
I've posted my affection and respect for these before and I'll continue to explain how good these cabs are to the uninitiated.

I've owned 4 different ones in the past 10 years:
1) Rare - square grill, slant 4x12 with Cel MC90's/ EVM-12L 200 watters - smaller logoplate - mono cab
2) slant 4x12 cab with ALL Black Shadow Celestion MC-90's - hollow logoplate, mono input
3) straight Road-Ready (closed back) stereo cab with ALL 4 EVM-12L's, 800 watt cab :shock:
also had a cool solid carved lettering logo bar instead of flat plate, this was an incredible sounding cab paired with #2 cab and I kick myself weekly for letting this one go. :(
4) my Present workhorse - a slant 4x12 with Black Shadow Celestion MC-90's in open top and Black Shadow VINTAGE Eminence 50 watters in closed bottom - solid lettering logoplate - mono

I'm obsessed with these cab designs and different driver configs and my mind is telling me to buy as many as I can afford to make a cool collection. Might take some time but I think I will. Call me silly but I have a vision of playing a big show with as many Mesa/Boogie 4x12 halfback cabs as will fit in the backline, maybe 3 high. Just a dream !!!!

I would snag that cab if you get a chance and don't sell it :!:

\t/\m/

GintownSound said:
I said it before and I'll say it again, I was a fool for selling my 4 EVM 4x12. I soooo wish I had it again to play my Roadster through. The one I have now with G12-65s and MS 12s is pretty sweet, but ****...

I was dumb.

GINTOWNSOUND
Dont feel bad your not the only one. I had the
slant 4x12 with Black Shadow Celestion MC-90's in the top and EV's in the bottom, I also had the piece to close up the top also I really liked it this way allot. But like sox I was always changing.

joepopp said:
My Boogie 4-12 Half Back (bottom half had EVs in it) with a Mark III Head was the best sound I ever had. Miss that rig, but I can't even lift it anymore! KILLER Cab!!!

Hey Joe,
Would the "vintage black shadows" sound decent? There's a halfback for sale near me right now & I'm thinking about it hard.

according to old mesa websites(www.webarchive.org) the halfbacks were produced up to 1998, together with the mark III.

They have to reissue them.

Would the "vintage black shadows" sound decent? There's a halfback for sale near me right now & I'm thinking about it hard.

Hey TommyHawk13 -

I've owned all the different speaker configs and now own one with the VINTAGE Eminence drivers in the closed bottom. They sound really awesome with my 97 Dual Rec.
I didn't think I would like them as much as the EVM-12L's but they track nice and tight, real punchy.
I would get (and keep!) the cab regardless and if you want to experiment later, you can try different drivers with it.

\t/\m/

I've decided to go for it. The next major purchase will be an old Boogie pwer amp to compliment the Quad. I've heard good things about the old 50/50's and the 2/95's.

Sweet ! You won't be disappointed bro. I love the tone and look of these cabs. I use to own a Studio pre that I ran through a 50/50, very nice setup.
Post after you've had a chance to really crank it up.

Should look like this :D

Latest posts

Back