Mesa Formula Preamp clips?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbid

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I was just wondering if anyone out here had some clips of the Mesa Formula Pre?
I'm mainly interested in it's clean tones, as I've been considering buying one to run with my Mark IV as a clean channel, much like Petrucci's G3 and SCORE rig.
I've also always been curious about it's 'high gain' abilities, if any at all. I know that the Formula Pre doesn't have a LOT of gain, but I've got a BB Preamp pedal, and thought the Formula and BB Might work well together and could help to achieve a more high gain tone.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated :)

Take care!

The clean sound on the Formula preamp is very cool. If you run it with the right power amp such as a 20/20, it's pretty decent. The clean sound was the only thing that impressed me on this unit. A buddy let me borrow his for a few weeks to play with and I was not overly impressed with it for the gain channels. Definitely not in the higher gain realms of the other Mesa amps, but I think you can mod it to have a bit more gain. If you run an overdrive with it, it helps a bit, but there is only so much you can do with that. The graphic EQ is pretty useful for shaping sound, but otherwise not a very impressive unit in my opinion.

I was afraid of that. But I suppose for a great clean tone, it might be worth it if I were to find a deal.
Thanks a lot :)

Latest posts

Back