Mesa Express and pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin_jazz

Reaction score
I'm just curious what others are using for pedals with the Mesa Express. I'm currently using a G-system with a Xotic BBpreamp in the loop. I'm thinking about getting an RC booster as well. Anyone have experience with the RC and the Mesa Express?

Thanks!

Kevin

In the effects loop i use (in order) - T-rex Replica Delay, T-rex Tremster, EH Electric Mistress.

In the front input from guitar to amp i use - Korg Tuner, Zakk Wah, Zakk Overdrive, Phase 90.

It all sounds great with no bad noise at all. Love it :D

Sometimes i get the Digitech Whammy out and that sounds pretty cool too but i dont like to leave that one in the chain.

This is on the 5:50 1x12

I'm using a Boss Gt-8 sometimes as the digital rig with a Bad Horsie2 first in chain to the FX Return jack on the 5:50.

My main analog rig is
Bad Horsie2>Crunchbox>Fulldrive 2 Mosfet OD>Boss DD-6 Delay>Dunlop Volume pedal. The DD-6 goes in the loop.

Have a few other pedals in a box I rarely use. Along with the 5:50's 4 channels that covers pretty much every tone under the sun :lol:

I am using an RC with mine and I love it.

I am also using a Timmy and modded TS9 for different flavors.

The Express seems to like ODs....

I am from the guitar->cable->amp school. I have never found a need to use a pedal with any of the Mesa amps that I have owned. I have always added time-based effects at the board.

Tonestack said:
I am from the guitar->cable->amp school. I have never found a need to use a pedal with any of the Mesa amps that I have owned. I have always added time-based effects at the board.

I've been there many times Tonestack - past and present. I don't call it a school though. It's just horses for courses. I prefer to go direct thru the amp & I've done that in punk bands, blues bands, some rock bands and recently in a jazz band. That's all fine when the style of music you play is suited to your particular amp. If you only ever play the same style/music year in, year out, then you won't ever need a pedal or MFX.

I get very bored doin that though and don't feel I'm progessing as a player.
As for time based effects thru the board - what do you do at home and at rehearsal ?? Plus you can't adjust things on the run

:D

I have an EHX Deluxe Memory Man in the effects loop of my Express 5:25. It sounds great and doesn't hum or hiss.

With the DMM, the Express 5:25 does a pretty good Vox AC30 imitation with early U2 sounds.

Here's what I use with my Express 5:50:

Humbucker Guitar > Wilson Effects Rippah-Q Wah > Xotic BB > Xotic AC > Xotic RC > 5:50 Amp

In the effects loop I use

Boss CE-5 Chorus > Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay (Delay-only mode 2) > Morley Little Alligator Volume Pedal

It's a really versatile setup. The Xotic effects work great with the 5:50, although I only use them with the clean channel (I don't use them to boost the gain on the gain channel).

Here we go:
Mesa 5:25

MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CS 3 Compressor
Fulltone OCD
Xotic AC Booster +
Boss EQ
Fulltone Choralflange
Line 6 DL4

All in front, no noise whatsoever. The OCD stacked with the Xotic into the clean channel is way groovy.

Latest posts

Back