Mesa Deserves More!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racerboy44 said:
ytse_jam said:
Racerboy44 said:
Mesa is the first to create "high gain". Marshall was not making "high gain" before Mesa. Marshall amps did have gain early on but nothing like what Mesa implemented.
it depends on how you define "high gain"... talking about overdriven guitar in general I must say Marshall played a bigger role.

Overdrive, or an "overdriven guitar" is not high gain. There is some room for debate here, but the general consensus is that a Marshall by itself does not produce "high gain". At least not until the JCM 900's came out. Before that you would need a pedal in front of the amp to get into metal territory. If you agree with that, then Mesa was the first company to make an amp that could get metal tones or "high gain" all by itself. I have owned JCM 800's, 900's, and several Mark's and Recto's. JCM 800's are not high gain in my opinion. They have gain, but nothing like what any Mesa can produce. Doesn't mean I don't like Marshalls, but it's just reality.

Agreed. Let's not make this a Marshall v Mesa thread ...that misses the point. The statement "high gain" could never, IMHO, be attributed to those 70s-80s dimed Marshall stacks. Those were "overdriven" without doubt, and brought a signature sound for that time, no question. But it was Randall Smith that ushered in a new *era* of amps: THIS was high gain as we know it, and started a revolution in amps. Like Boogies or not (and there are plenty out there that don't), Mesa changed the face of amp making. And it is this point that defines "respect" in the big picture of music gear.

Edward

edward said:
Racerboy44 said:
ytse_jam said:
it depends on how you define "high gain"... talking about overdriven guitar in general I must say Marshall played a bigger role.

Overdrive, or an "overdriven guitar" is not high gain. There is some room for debate here, but the general consensus is that a Marshall by itself does not produce "high gain". At least not until the JCM 900's came out. Before that you would need a pedal in front of the amp to get into metal territory. If you agree with that, then Mesa was the first company to make an amp that could get metal tones or "high gain" all by itself. I have owned JCM 800's, 900's, and several Mark's and Recto's. JCM 800's are not high gain in my opinion. They have gain, but nothing like what any Mesa can produce. Doesn't mean I don't like Marshalls, but it's just reality.

Agreed. Let's not make this a Marshall v Mesa thread ...that misses the point. The statement "high gain" could never, IMHO, be attributed to those 70s-80s dimed Marshall stacks. Those were "overdriven" without doubt, and brought a signature sound for that time, no question. But it was Randall Smith that ushered in a new *era* of amps: THIS was high gain as we know it, and started a revolution in amps. Like Boogies or not (and there are plenty out there that don't), Mesa changed the face of amp making. And it is this point that defines "respect" in the big picture of music gear.

Edward

Well said!

Sometimes you just need to plug into a Marshall instead of a Boogie.

One thing to notice that the older the Marshall the better. The 60 and 70 Marshalls are better for whatever reason that is.

Last time I tried a new Marshall and my old '78 combo I knew why as the tone was something else all ready covered by a million of any classic rock bands.

As for Boogie if it was around more maybe? I can count on 1 hand all the Boogies I have seen in person since 1993 and its rare here in Denmark. So its Marshalls and Fender since that's what is in the shops 100% of the time. That was why I bought Marshall in the beginning as it sounded ok, it was aviable and Fender was not to my liking at the time.

This goes for alot of other countries too. Boogie amps costs $ and the only way is to order because there is no amps to try out expet maybe Copenhagen that has 2-3(if you are lucky) to try but is in the other part of the country which makes a 10 minute try out a whole day affair with the 6 hours travel and cost to ad.

Jackson guitars and Mesa/Boogie amps share that problem and has done so for decades.

When the rare moment of a Boogie would come then it was a matter of trying but if it was not right then it would not be bought.

I eventually got a US Jackson and a Quad pre amp which took years and some risk in order without trying first however I still got both.

Jackson is now by Fender distribtution but still US Jacksons in Danish shops? As for Boogie we got internet so there is hope.

Latest posts

Back