Mesa Clinic w/Andy Timmons (European Dates announced)...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockhound76s

Reaction score
EDITED 8/30: European Dates Announced

Andy Timmons European Tour

First off, my apologies to ursinus for starting this thread here (he was kind enough to share a similar experience in the Off Topic forum a few days earlier). However, I thought that the Modern Amp guys might appreciate the Lonestar/Stiletto info...

So last night I had the pleasure of attending a MesaBoogie clinic with the great Andy Timmons at Hertlein Music in Dublin, CA. It was a great intimate atmosphere and an amazing performance (as expected). Andy played about 7 songs off of his albums, half through a Lonestar Classic rig and half through his Stiletto II rig.

fullrig.jpg

Andyrockin.jpg

Gear wise, he was using his first signature AT-100 Ibanez guitar for all songs. His Lonestar rig was played through two 2x12 Rectifier cabs (which he says he prefers to the 4x12 Recto cab because of its tighter response). The Stiletto head was mated to a 4x12 Recto cab.

Lonestarstack.jpg

StilettoHead.jpg

Cabs.jpg

He also had some pedals (Xotic RC Booster, BB preamp, Memory Man, Octavia, Strobostomp, Budda Wah). I didn't get a picture of it, but he also had an analog compressor and tube driver (Butler?) that sat on top of the Lonestar head, that he would tweak in between songs. Floor effects were controlled via pedalboard and GCX Ground Control Pro switching system.

Pedalboard.jpg

GCXfoot.jpg

All in all, it was a great night. Andy was really generous and took the time to field questions inbetween songs and also sign autographs and chat after the show. He was also open to my request for a cheesy fanboy pic.:lol:

Andyandme.jpg

Those of you who may be unfamiliar with his music, I encourage you to check it out. He is one of those rare players whose appeal transcends musical genres. He's got a great bluesy/classic rock/soulful sound, but has the speed and chops of an all out metal shredder...probably my favorite when it comes to solo instrumental artists. Kudos to Mesa for sponsoring this great FREE event!!![/b]

Yes, thank you indeed. I have been obsessed with finding out about his pedalboard, and there you go giving me full blown pics of the thing. Thank you...you are my new best friend!!

There's also some great video of his clinic (all songs, no Q&A sadly) on youtube.

EDIT - very interesting to see him without the G-Force or POD Pro in his rack. I believe both of those pieces were in as of his last tour with LeAnn Rimes.

I attended the one in Thousand Oaks on Tuesday night. Very cool night and what a player he is. He makes that LoneStar sing. I noticed that the one pedal he used the most was the BB preamp. It seemed like the other pedals didnt get used more than like twice. Also, he had the Stiletto Clean set pretty gainy, and said he used that for his dirty sound...

Hi,

Thanks for posting the amazing pics!! Does anybody know if he uses the RC Booster with the BB preamp? Or does he only use it for clean boost? :?:

mdt72 said:
Hi,

Thanks for posting the amazing pics!! Does anybody know if he uses the RC Booster with the BB preamp? Or does he only use it for clean boost? :?:

Someone asked him that at the clinic. For that night's performance, he was using the RC for clean boost on clean channel only, and the BB for the dirty channels.

The switching system was setup so that the RC affected the clean channels of his amps only, and the BB only the drive channels, so he wasn't using them at the same time.

Makes sense. Other players like Allen Hinds uses the RC- and AC-booster together, but the BB has a little more gain so I guess its just too much. :D

Latest posts

Back