Mesa cabs... wheels on, or wheels off.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer to use your cab with the wheels on, or off?

• Wheels on.

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Wheels off.

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I use a Recto 4x12 and 2x12.

With a Recto, I prefer the wheels on. It uncouples the cab from the floor, cutting the bottom end boom and makes the midrange stand out a bit more.

With a Mark, I prefer the wheels off. It couples it with the floor, adding bottom end response and a bit more fullness to the Mark's already plentiful midrange.

I prefer wheels off with my Rectos. Looks better and I like being able to feel the bass through the floor, like with bass cabs. Makes it really thump. I put the wheels back on for transport, and take them off before the show, once the cabs are in the venue.

-AJH

I had wondered a little if anyone had a preference for wheels on or off. This thread should be quite interesting.

None of my Mesa gear has wheels, but I always like get the speakers off the floor a bit to reduce the thunderous bass and get more cut and clarity.

I Thought i was a wheeks off guy for ever. My first cab had no wheels. It was a carvin box. I liked the sound alot. One day a buddy gave me some casters he had laying around. I put them on and couldnt believe the results. Wheels on guy from now on.

The poll results will be inconclusive since the particular amp and cab being used make a huge difference. Just my two cents, but my vote is wheels on. :) I prefer keeping the cab in its road case and using those casters, so it's basically the same as using the Mesa casters.

Wheels off any cab I've ever owned. I don't allow air under the cab. :wink:

As someone mentioned above, I like feeling the thumpin' of the bottom end while it sits on the floor. Wheels only for transport. 8)

~Nep~

I like to leave them on because when I was younger, every good amp I saw had wheels (fender twin, marshall halfstack, mesa boogie combos) on them and now that I have a good amp, I want it to look like its built with quality in mind as opposed to some amps I owned when I first started playing! :lol:

For me it depends on the room size and the acoustic. For recording I leave them on, for rehearsal I leave them off.

Wheels on. On my 4x12 recto with side armor. To heavy to bother with plus with my rig in the basement, it is on carpet that is on a concrete slab so the sound does not change enough to bother with. But I can see where you are going with this. Very interesting.

Wheels on w/ my 2x12 Recto + Ace 1x2 on top. I get very good bass response this way without being too boomy. Plus, it allows me to move it around just a little easier. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back