Mesa cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Will a Siletto Traditional 4x12 cab with v30 speakers sound very close to a Recto 4x12 cab with C90 speakers? Im talking about the tightness here.

I tested every Mesa cab at my local store yesterday at high volumes...

I was very dissapointed by the C90s....maybe it was the 3/4ths back cab, but the tone was was too airy and undefined...I expected more articulation, but it was very muffled with no note seperation.

The traditional 4x12 with V30s was amazing! I'm buying one within the next week or two hopefully! Crazy tone...tight and crunchy. Very VERY articulate...kills an oversized.

IBANEZ4LIFE! You made my day with your cab review!!! Im also getting a Straight Siletto Cab!

I have never played one, but I think its the right one for me.

Do you think its possible to get Tremonti like tones/crunch with the traditional?!

by the way, how do you like the Holier Grail? Is it a quite reverb? Sounds better and more analog than the Verbzilla?

just so i have this straight...when you refer to the traditional cabs you mean the Stiletto ones right? i'm definetly thinking about getting one of these as soon as i sell my oversized 4x12.

Yup

Stiletto Traditional.

Turmoil. you have a Siletto Traditional Straight or Recto Standard Straight?

Which one are you going to buy? The Siletto Straight?

The stiletto cabs are by far superior....you can definitely pull tremonti tones.

I love the holier grail....it's an amazing reverb...completely silent in the loop, with amazing reverb...also very reliable...none of the problems that the holy grail tends to have.

I think I may be parting with it though, as I really have turned away from reverb....will probably be looking into an overdrive...

PM me if you're interested!

I was going to PM you but I ended up buying one from a friend. I still haven't played it though.

What did you like best about the Traditional Siletto cab? Can you still get a good big sounding punch?

The open back will defintly give you that airy sound, the c90's are tight, but not my style at all.

I love my traditionals, right now i have a straight front which is kind of a mix between the oversized and slant tradtional. I am going to put a little filling in it to tighten it up a little more.

As to tremonti, remember he uses DI straight into the PA which is why his tone is so tight.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I tested every Mesa cab at my local store yesterday at high volumes...

I was very dissapointed by the C90s....maybe it was the 3/4ths back cab, but the tone was was too airy and undefined...I expected more articulation, but it was very muffled with no note seperation.

The traditional 4x12 with V30s was amazing! I'm buying one within the next week or two hopefully! Crazy tone...tight and crunchy. Very VERY articulate...kills an oversized.

I know! I don't like Tremonti's tone live that much (from all the videos ive seen). It sounds just too tight and the solos sound like a nail on a chalkboard.

- This is coming from a huge Tremonti fan.

The tone on the album sounds great though. Its my fav. Hard Rock album tone.

barneyc4 said:
Yup

Stiletto Traditional.

i have a recto oversized cab. it's not bad but a little boomy for my tastes.

i'm thinking about getting a Stiletto slant. is there any real sound difference between the stiletto straight and the slant?

Thats a good question.

I saw the Tremonti rig video and Tremonti said that straight cabs have more low and than slant cabs.

Not to much difference, because there is a little more volume it is not as tight in the bottem end as a slant, but you can remedy that by putting poly fill in the cab which is what i will be doing. If you ask me a straight front just looks so much better!

Mine is in blue suede, originally got it with a rectoverb series II head in blue suede, but sold that.

turmoil said:
barneyc4 said:
Yup

Stiletto Traditional.

i have a recto oversized cab. it's not bad but a little boomy for my tastes.

i'm thinking about getting a Stiletto slant. is there any real sound difference between the stiletto straight and the slant?

Is that black BOGNER 4x12? I thought only the Bogner Uberkabs were black.

Did you get that one custom made or what?

That would be a uber cab you are looking at. however I have taken out the two V30's and it is now loaded with all 75's. but i still have the V30's just in case i ever want to put it back to normal.

barneyc4 said:
Is that black BOGNER 4x12? I thought only the Bogner Uberkabs were black.

Did you get that one custom made or what?

siggy,
Is the Mesa Traditional Stiletto the same size as the Bogner Uberkab? They sure look the same size!

Which done do you think sounds better with your Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier?

Should I consider a Bogner Uberkab with Celestion V30 and G12T75 for Tremonti and Tool tones or should I stick with Mesa Siletto Trad with 4 v30s?

I own a Dual Rectifier Roadster.

They are the same size, however the mesa is a complete straight front, where the uber cab is actually slanted but built like a straight front.

Both cabs sound the same, both cabs are built rock solid, however I would chooose the mesa over the ubercab for these reasons.

The castors on the mesa cab are so much better then the uber.

The mesa has stereo input, uber only has mono.

I also like keeping all my equiptment the same, if i am using a mesa amp i like a mesa cabint. Hell even the tan grill on the XTC clashes with the uber cab grill cloath and it drives me crazy, so i am probaly getting a new grill for the XTC.

Honestly, get a mesa traditional, and if you want the x pattern then just purchase 2 eight ohm C75's of ebay and do the swap yourself. By the way the X pattern does sound awesome for metal.

Back