mesa bought by guitar center?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverwulf, your points are valid and I agree 100%. Of course no one should accept misinformation. If you do indeed know something to be contrary, then by all means, you should point out the error, and share your knowledge. In my store at least, I train my people to be honest with their customers and tell them when they are not 100% sure of something, to tell their customers if they don't know the answer to a question. That's a huge step in helping to build a strong relationship with your customers. The next step is of course to commit to them that you will find out the correct information and then to actually do it!!! I've let people go on the spot for knowingly lying to their customers in order to close deals and will continue to do so.

Perhaps my point wasn't clear. I should have said not to take it as misinformation, but as a lack of education. Most of these salespeople aren't dispensing misinformation willfully or maliciously. They just don't know any better (yet). Through training and experience, and sharing knowledge with their customers, they will learn, if they can stick around long enough. Sadly, there is not yet an effective product training program in place anywhere at any store (chain, mom and pop, etc) that can teach everyone everything before they hit the floor. The industry and its products is just far too broad. We at GC are working on it with both broad based certification programs and specific product training modules, but like I said, it is not an instant process.

Keep in mind also that the way GC's are departmentalized, the people working the accessories counter might not be the best qualified to help you with your Mesa tube needs. The people working the guitar floor might be better suited to help you. In my store, I require all guitar and accessories salespeople to attend the Mesa trainings any time the rep comes through. This helps IMMENSELY, but again, these official trainings only occur twice a year or so.

I like to think that the people working guitars and amps in my store have a pretty decent knowledge base when it comes to amplifiers. They aren't expert techs by any means, but can handle most questions that arise. 3 of the 5 own Boogies or Soldanos or both, as do I, and are passionate about the products. This is not necessarily the case with the guys at the counter selling accessories and pedals, although some of them may surprise you.

Of course there are always going to be salespeople working that just suck. It is my job as a manager to identify them and replace them in order to work towards providing a superior customer experience. We appreciate feedback from our customers, positive or negative, as it helps us to evaluate our staff and make changes where necessary.

When it comes to pricing, it is what it is. The MI biz sadly has always had an adversarial haggling component to it. Remember that if it wasn't for GC, who made huge discounts off of list price not just a normal possibility, but the actual TAGGED PRICE, we would all still be haggling down from the MSRP and be more than happy to get that small discount off of list price. Thanks to GC, the discount is already applied and is the tagged price. Mesa doesn't bother with a BS inflated MSRP. They just say, hey, here's what it's worth, no more, no less, and call it Pro Net pricing. Everyone gets the fair Pro Net price regardless of their haggling skills, how much money they have spent in the past, and their "special relationships" with the people that work their. You have to be fair and equitable in your dealings with EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER.

Our recent private market research shows us that most customers don't like the haggling aspect nor the atmosphere that it creates. HOWEVER, the same research shows that these same customers still continue to take advantage of the process because it is the culture of the MI biz. They don't LIKE it, but they do it because, well, that's the way it's done!

What would the clerk at Safeway say if you walked up with a gallon of milk and said, "Hey bro, I buy a gallon of milk every week. I've spent thousands of dollars here on milk. So, what's MY price?"

Something to think about.

And trust me, I know everything is not always great at GC's and even at my store, there is always work to be done and room to improve.

ToneAddictJon, I'd be curious to hear what your bandmates had to say about working at GC and why they left. I know from my personal experiences that GC has come a long way over the last 10 years. Earlier in my career, the way the company worked and did business drove me nuts and I almost quit several times. However, we have changed quite a bit, for the better in my opinion.

Thanks for the words of welcome!

GCMgr said:
I am a GC store manager, so you can address all of your flames and hate to me and I will try to address your problems/issues and help you out as best I can.

Boy, you are asking for it. :mrgreen:

GCMgr said:
Just as in any industry, you have good employees and bad employees.

You have long-term people with tons of knowledge and you have newer people who think they know what's up but really have only gained their knowledge from internet boards

Agreed, but I would be willing to bet that the majority people on this board would agree with me when I say “Most GC employees are morons.” Sorry, but that is the truth. If you go to all of the major audio/music/etc. related boards on the net, you will find story after story of people receiving poor customer service at GC stores.

For the record, there is a GC assistant store manager that I do think of as a friend. He does provide excellent service. Sure, he is not as knowledgeable about gear as I am but he more than makes up for that with excellent service.

GCMgr said:
I know there are some terrible GC's out there. I used to be a product trainer and have seen them first hand. Most, however, are great.

LOL, too funny.

I live in Dallas - there are three (3) stores in the area and they all provide horrible service. There is one store in particular that is beyond horrible. If I had a chance to talk to your CEO, I would tell him to either fire and replace everyone in the store or simply shut it down.

GCMgr said:
New people who are used to dealing with vintage tube amps and most newer amps will not realize that Mesa's are fixed bias until they go through their first Mesa training (you're lucky if you see your rep twice a year).

Each Mesa rep has many stores and twice a year is roughly their average (don’t ask me how I know). But what difference will visiting the stores more frequently make? Your employees can go through training and all that training goes in one ear and out the next because they simply do not give a **** about their job.

GCMgr said:
Keep in mind that if you treat the salesperson like sh!t and try to beat them up for free stuff and discounts, they will instantly hate you as much as you hate them and will cease to impress you with their "service."

a few sentences later…

Here's another thing. Stop beating the crap out of the guy working the floor for a discount. All you're doing is taking money out of his commission check and he's going to quit pretty soon because he keeps discounting away his rent money and can't afford to work at GC anymore.

I will admit, I do try to get deals and I am real easy to deal with. I should also mention that I will only deal on the product I am looking to buy and I will never ask for free stuff. For example, if I was looking at buying a guitar, I will ask what it the best price that he/she can give me. If he/she gives me a price that I am satisfied with, I will take it. I will not do something like “OK, I will take it for that price but I want a free box of strings, a free Monster cable, etc.”. Like I said, I am real easy to deal with. Why? Because I used to work at a music store I do realize that your need to make a living to pay rent, etc.

But, at the same time, will not over pay. I see a lot of used items at GC that are WAY over priced. Sorry, but I am not going to buy a used beat to **** Mesa Recto cab for $800 when a new one is $900.

When it comes to over priced used stuff…

One of the problems that GC has is that the employees (somehow) give their friends way too much money on trades. I am a pedal ***** so when ever I stop into a GC, I always look for a good deal on pedals - mostly Boss pedals but I will look at other brands occasionally. Some of the asking price for used (Boss) pedals is just insane. I am not taking the “vintage” stuff (i.e. OD-1, DC-2, etc.) either. On more than one occasion (and this has happened at different stores), when I was trying to get a better deal on a used Boss pedal, I had the employee say something like “Well, we gave too much in on a trade an employees friend so I can’t go lower on the price.” Well, whose fault is that? Its not the customers fault, it’s the stores fault. So why should I over pay for a used Boss pedal? Then I have the sales person give me an attitude because I did not buy the overpriced used pedal - go figure.

Lastly, when it comes to your comment All you're doing is taking money out of his commission check…. I know that the sales people get commission, and you clearly state that they do. However, I have had numerous sales people tell me they do not get commission. Right off the bat I do not want to deal with these people because they are LIARS!!! These sales people will not get any of my money, the only thing they are going to get from me is attitude and I will put them down like the little shits that they are.

GCMgr said:
Give the noobs a chance to figure it out and if you have such a great wealth of knowledge, share it with them. I've learned a ton from my customers over the years.

I tried that a few times. All I got for my troubles was attitude from a salesperson that was a complete moron and was not willing to listen. Now, I don’t waste my time, I just roll my eyes at them and walk away shaking my head…

I have a few more things that I could post right now but it is around 2AM and I am really tired… time to go to sleep.

Z

Hey Z,

Yeah, I probably am asking for it, but that's OK. It's good to discuss this stuff. That's how we get better at what we do.

Yes, there are some really bad salespeople out there. One thing to keep in mind is that more people are going to share their horror stories and awful experiences, so yes, negative experiences will seem prevalent. Not necessarily because they occur more often, but because more people are inclined to publicly share the bad rather than the good. This is true in all industries. Also, the internet is obviously a GREAT forum for slamming and in comparison is rarely used to praise good experiences (in general).

Stores that continually provide terrible service need to be reevaluated. Everything that occurs at a GC is a direct reflection on the store manager and their standards. While we can't ever be perfect, we as managers need to strive for perfection and take action to improve wherever possible.

As far as Mesa training goes, yeah they have a ton of stores to cover and there are only 4 reps for the whole US market. Still, they DEMAND (and rightfully so) that their product is represented a certain way and effective training is one way to accomplish that representation. Trainings at my store are always great and well attended. We have a great Mesa rep and my staff isn't too bad either. From my time as a product trainer, however, I have sat in on some terrible Mesa trainings (not Mesa's fault, but that GC had some TERRIBLE people on staff). Trainings are what the Mesa rep and the store manager make of them.

You're right about the used gear. I train my people to price used gear fairly and pay fair market wholesale. The idea with used gear is to sell it quickly and turn a profit. We're not a museum after all. Occasionally, you have to take a loss on something you've paid too much money for. That's why I always have at least two people examine and evaluate a piece before we buy it. Mistakes still occur from time to time though and can be frustrating. Used gear can be hairy because a lot of people assume that they should be paid the full going rate and don't understand that the store needs to buy it for less than that in order to make some profit. The fact that it's your friend's gear doesn't change its inherent value and shouldn't be a factor in how much you pay for it. It's worth what it's worth, no more no less.

Can't blame you for not wanting to deal with a salesperson that rolls their eyes at you and lies to you. I wouldn't either. I actually just had to let a guy go for treating a customer this way.

About the bass gear and GC losing Mesa:

GC is not losing Mesa.

GC has decided to take the money that we were spending on the bass gear and use it instead to expand the assortment of guitar amps in stock. You should see more amps in stock and more models represented (not the Mark IV though. We've never done well with that one).

The bass gear is AWESOME. Sadly, it doesn't sell with huge velocity and so is not cost effective to carry on a large scale. We agreed with Mesa to shift the funds from bass gear to more guitar goodies and it has worked very well so far. I do miss having the Big Block 750 in stock though...

The trade-off is that we are no longer able to order the bass gear for customers who wish to purchase it.

Welcome and thanks for putting up with us. You're right about the haggling for the best price, I hate it, and that's the one thing about Mesa's that I like. I know when I buy a Mesa, everyone buys it at the same price.
The big problem I have with GC, is that more and more items are becoming special order, and that means I can't try it out and I can't return the item if I don't like it. My GC Mgr. told me that you only stk what we buy? He said looking at your info and trends, is what you stk. My point is we can only buy what you have at the store and are less likely to special order big ticket items that we can't return. last thing (sorry new subject) what's up with Line 6? do their amps sell? I'm talking about the big ticket amps, like the Vetta? I never see those amps at GC, just a lot of spiders, and forget about the Variax, I never see them. Vetta III coming soon? Thanks for the time on all this GC stuff, I'm locked into you guys with the credit card. 12 months free interest is the only way I can afford this stuff.

GCMgr said:
Here's another thing. Stop beating the crap out of the guy working the floor for a discount. All you're doing is taking money out of his commission check and he's going to quit pretty soon because he keeps discounting away his rent money and can't afford to work at GC anymore. Then you'll get to deal with yet another new guy who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Let these guys earn their living, learn what they're talking about, and give them a chance to really take care of you. There will always be guys that suck, at GC and elsewhere. Let's do what we can to not deal with them and deal with the great people. Give the noobs a chance to figure it out and if you have such a great wealth of knowledge, share it with them. I've learned a ton from my customers over the years. I'll tell you what... I didn't know everything my first day on the job and I bet you didn't either.

Let the hatin' begin', because I'm sure I'm the least popular guy on here about now.

I've been taught to haggle over prices by GC Salesmen. Before I started dealing with GC (about six years ago), I never haggled over gear prices. I'd go into a music store and ask what the price was for any given item. They would give me a price and I'd buy or not buy. The first time I went into a GC to look for a new acoustic guitar, the salesman that was helping me asked if I wanted to take the guitar I was interested in, home for a 30 day try. Then he explained GC's return policy, which was very attractive. I told him I wanted to look around a little more and would be back if I decided to take him up on his offer for the trial. I started to walk away and he offered me a much lower price on the Taylor 710ce. He knocked off $300 from the price on the tag. This was not the MSRP, but GC's selling price. I asked him how he could do this and he said he could give discounts on 90% of the gear they carried. He also told me that they would beat anyones price and I didn't need to bring in written proof. Since then, I have bought at least $12,000 in gear from GC. My point to this story is, GC Employees have taught me to haggle and beat them up on price. I've gotten some incredible deals from GC. This same salesman is now a GC Store Manager in a different City. I still call him for gear and he always gives me the lowest prices.

I appreciate your post about what goes on at GC. There's to many people who rag on GC. It's not perfect, but what is? I agree with your statement of finding a person you like to deal with and building a relationship with them. It paid off for me big time in money saved.

The one statement you made about the milk doesn't hold water. The MI business is a different animal indeed. You can't compare a $2.00 gallon of milk to the purchase of a $3000 LP. If you know someone buys a lot of gear, especially expensive gear, why wouldn't you want to give the guy discounts that you may not give the guy that buys a $500 piece of gear every five or six years. I'm not asking you to discount the gear to the point where your not making a profit. It just makes good business sense. Make the guy feel good about his purchase and he's come back again and again.

Thanks, Res

Resonator said:
I've been taught to haggle over prices by GC Salesmen. Before I started dealing with GC (about six years ago), I never haggled over gear prices. I'd go into a music store and ask what the price was for any given item. They would give me a price and I'd buy or not buy. The first time I went into a GC to look for a new acoustic guitar, the salesman that was helping me asked if I wanted to take the guitar I was interested in, home for a 30 day try. Then he explained GC's return policy, which was very attractive. I told him I wanted to look around a little more and would be back if I decided to take him up on his offer for the trial. I started to walk away and he offered me a much lower price on the Taylor 710ce. He knocked off $300 from the price on the tag. This was not the MSRP, but GC's selling price. I asked him how he could do this and he said he could give discounts on 90% of the gear they carried. He also told me that they would beat anyones price and I didn't need to bring in written proof. Since then, I have bought at least $12,000 in gear from GC. My point to this story is, GC Employees have taught me to haggle and beat them up on price. I've gotten some incredible deals from GC. This same salesman is now a GC Store Manager in a different City. I still call him for gear and he always gives me the lowest prices.

The guy you speak of was making a business deal, pure and simple. Perfect. I dealt with a mgr at my local store and helped him out by holding onto an item for a while so the sale was credited in the current sales period. He appreciated it, and now gives me great service each time I'm in the shop. Like any other business relationship it's a win-win. Which of course is GCMgr's point. :D

GCMgr, thanks for posting. A lot of what you're saying is understandable, and I for one appreciate that GC is out there. I demo a ton of gear there and give GC the first shot at my business. If for some reason we can't strike a deal, that's ok, I'll find it somewhere else.

gts said:
GC is interesting. Another chain in the northeast is Daddy's.
I suppose any of them can be losers in the help dept.

At a Daddy's I was looking at recording equip and the only guy that knew much about the stuff was a younger grunt worker. He had spent a lot of time recording on his own and was probably working there just because he thought it made sense to work in a music related business. This guy knew everything I needed and was great in helping me decipher what I was going to buy. Unfortunately his managers thought he was spending too much time helping me and not out back moving boxes around so they pulled him away. Then this manager takes over "helping" me. He didn't know squat about the equipment I was looking at and started giving me the "so what are you interested in doing?" line.

Having the most knowledgeable guy in the store pulled away from me tainted any desire I had to buy from Daddy's. I walked away and eventually ended up buying elsewhere. Customer service along with a good product is what makes companies great and keeps people coming back. Look at Mesa, great CS and great products.

It's too bad retail is such a dog eat dog world where the bottom line and making as much money as possible is the only goal. Surviving in the retail business is hard. Especially so when a company becomes a chain and has to support a thousand stores but what most of these chain store companies don't realize is more is not always better. Eventually the high end stuff sits due to bad CS and then they end up stocking and pushing more low end general consumer/ beginner market products. They basically shoot themselves in the foot. And in the end it hurts us all.

That's the entire reason why I do business like I do.

I've been working as a guitar tech for nearly 10 years now. Nothing professional, nothing full time, just whenever someone needs my help, I help them. I'm also trying to get into building effects pedals with the intent to sell. The only thing I strive for is longevity. I'd rather build something that is going to last a life time than something that's going to break in a few months. When I built and dialed in rigs for people, I did that with the same dedication. I've known for years that I do this for far less money than I should (guitar setups for $40 that includes a full cleaning, fretboard conditioning, fret polish, pickups, neck relief, intonation, pickup foaming and grounding and much more...for an extra $15 I'll even shield the whole thing...I think all of that for $55 is a bargain). Right now I'm working on producing a dual overdrive pedal. My goal is to have it available for around the $120 range...less if I can stand it. The same goes for the pedalboards I build. I want to provide top notch professional quality for very little money.

The point I'm getting at here is that this attitude doesn't exist in the retail world. Everyone is trying to make more sales, but quality just doesn't exist. Guitar Center has been a primary example of this. Yes, it is a bit different from my experience since they are not producing the product, but my attitude has always been this; if you're going to do something, be the best at it. No questions asked. I don't care if it's something you don't want to do, be the best at it. I can't tell you how many times I've been to GC and there wasn't an employee to be found...they're all out back on "break". Last time I checked, breaks don't last for two hours. There are very few that I've encountered at the two Houston GCs that have actually known anything. And it's not even the knowledge that's a big deal, I'd rather have someone with a professional attitude who is willing to learn quickly than someone that knows a lot but completely lacks willingness to do anything. When I'm willing to be your customer, you'd **** well better be willing to be professional and approach me with respect. The way I see it (directed at the GC manager...no ill will, but just venting), I put food on your table. I am your lifeline. Does this mean I'm always right? No. Does this mean I get to walk all over you? No. But it does mean that I deserve to be treated with some respect and honesty.

Those few that I've worked with that really have that attitude, I make it clear that those are the only people I want to deal with. I still haggle for the lowest price with them, but for the man/woman willing to make the sale even though it means they may not get a decent commission on the sale, I'll tip them. As for someone giving misinformation to make a sale to try and get a better commission, there's no excuse for that. If you need more money, find another job. Taking advantage of people like that is totally unprofessional. I guess it's another one of those "attitude" things. In my business dealings, I'd rather barely break even and keep a customer for life than take everything I can from them but only have their business for one or two deals. It’s a simple concept…get fed for life, or get rich quick and have no one else to support you next week.

GC is interesting. On the one hand, it is a wonderful place to try out equipment since they carry a large inventory. On the other hand, it isn't a very good place to purchase high end equipment because the customers abuse the products. I prefer to pay "new" price for new equipment....not for heavily used and abused equipment. It is sad how beaten up some of the new guitars and cabinets are. I guess it isn't such a big deal for the less expensive items, but as I've progressed through the years, my tastes have gotten expensive.

I typically despise most salespeople regardless of where they work. :twisted:

Boy this post sure did get off topic. It started with somebody asking a simple question about whether or not GC bought Mesa and ended up being a GC bashing thread. Then again, any mention of GC in a post typically brings about the same reaction.

Perhaps some change is needed at GC. It sounds like a better training program is needed. It also appears as though employee turnover is a problem that needs to be analyzed. Inventory control should probably be scrutinized as well. I recommend the creation of a cross functional team........ :lol:

FourthNorseman said:
I prefer to pay "new" price for new equipment....not for heavily used and abused equipment...

i totally agree....this is what pisses me off about GC. I went in to buy a gtr from my local GC. I knew exactly what I wanted (did my research beforehand) and did not make the sale rep work for the sale. So all i did was grab the gtr I wanted off the floor and told the sales rep "I'll take it!! do you have it in stock" I was a dream customer.
Than he replies, "what do you mean have it in stock? you have one right in your hand" :shock: :shock: :shock:
The gtr i was holding was completely beat up and the bridge was rusted and it was a real piece of junk. Mind you, I was paying tag price and did not haggle at all with the rep and this is how he repays me.
I kindly asked him for a new one in a box since i was paying full price. If i wanted a used one i would get it off ebay for half of what i was paying.
He actually had two in stock!!! Yet, his first instinct was to stiff me with the beat up one.

now, would you think i would go back to him??? I think not!

I was doing good to stay out of this, but I just can't help myself. I am in sales and have been for quite some time. I have been in the big corporate scene and the mom and pop scene (not mi though). Anyway, being in sales and being a consumer myself, I can see both sides of the fence to a degree. Someone mentioned a "customer for life." But if I lose money or break even almost every time that customer comes in what good has it done me. I too want a "deal" when I buy something, but it needs to be beneficial to both parties. Am I the only one willing to buy at a little higher price for better more personal service.

I buy my gear from an old college friend of mine (if he carries it), he treats me well and gives me great pricing. He will go online to the "Friend" and give me comparable pricing and sometimes better. My stepson on the other hand does buy some stuff from him and some from GC. There is a salesman in the drum dept. that is real knowlegable and gives great service. That is the bottom line. Fair price (far for both parties) and good, personal service.

GC needs a demo program for their products. Leave them on floor for "x" months and then sell it at a demo discount (if they don't already).

I'm not a huge GC customer but I do appreciate them helping to get prices down and allowing demos on a wide range of products.

What strikes me with GC is the variable quality of service you get. I travel a lot, so if there is a GC in the proximity where I am, then I will visit it. Often you leave the store with a feeling that they are really "not there for you". This changed last Sunday at a GC in St. Charles (St. Louis). I went there with some tube questions, and the guy who dealt with me was awesome. He even took the time to pull out one of the amps and go though with me how I would change the tubes. I left feeling that he really valued me as a customer, gave me good tips and avice, and I made sure I got his name at the store. I know who to phone and where to go for good service. And I would certainly leave beheind more $ there in the future (it is "only" a 3 hr drive away).

As for prices, I am like many on the forum, I don't haggle (never been good at that). I ask for the price, and if it fits the idea in my head, I'll by it. I wish though that the effect pedal selection at GC was a bit more inspiring, but just Boss, Digitech and Dunlop (nothing agains those though). If I find an interesting pedal, I usually buy it. Haven't yet walked out of GC with a pedal.

southernman said:
I was doing good to stay out of this, but I just can't help myself. I am in sales and have been for quite some time. I have been in the big corporate scene and the mom and pop scene (not mi though). Anyway, being in sales and being a consumer myself, I can see both sides of the fence to a degree. Someone mentioned a "customer for life." But if I lose money or break even almost every time that customer comes in what good has it done me. I too want a "deal" when I buy something, but it needs to be beneficial to both parties. Am I the only one willing to buy at a little higher price for better more personal service.

I get what you're saying, but let me correct myself. I look to do more than just break even. The price I shoot for on anything I build is typically double my investment + 10% of my original investment. The way I see it, the 10% is the profit, while the rest I roll back into the next project I produce. If I'm building a series, I build along a pyramid, usually starting with five and building about 25-50 using the profits from the series to perpetuate itself. In the end, I usually end up with enough money to roll into the next project and start it off with enough money to research and R&D something before I start building in larger numbers. I'm still new to the whole thing, so any money I do get I see as more money to spend on paying my dues and learning about the technology.

And I agree...I will pay more money for better more personal service. If only HOG by my house was a Mesa dealer :(

How often does this type of opportunity come up!

A couple of people have touched on this. For me the whole problem with Guitar Center is consistency. I have had extremely mixed results.

On the one hand, I definitely enjoy the fact that you are encouraged to sit and play for as long as you want, and to try out as much different gear as you need to. That's very cool, and something you definitely do not get to do in a lot of the mom and pop outfits. I also like the fact that GC does honor it's lowest price guarantee. So for stuff like cables, strings, picks, generally most accessories, it's where I always go. Keep in mind, the only time I ever go is during my lunch hour during the week, so usually there's no one in the place, which definitely helps a lot.

I picked up a custom ordered F-50 there last year, and this year got a Martin acoustic. As GCMgr points out, there's definitely a relationship building thing you have to keep in mind. I dealt with one guy in particular when I was ordering my Boogie, and he could not have possibly been any more helpful. He was happy to just talk amps with me, and I spent a lot of time trying out different amps before pulling the trigger. After the purchase he called me a couple of times to find out how I was enjoying the amp - and I thought that was pretty cool. I know the score on Pro Net pricing, so I wasn't about to try to haggle with him. But he actually did throw in several sets of strings for me - I didn't even ask. BECAUSE of this, he was the guy I went to when I wanted to buy the Martin. Again, very patient, no attitude, and extremely helpful. Gave me a great deal to boot, at least as far as I was concerned.

The other thing I have to say that I like about GC is their credit card which enables you to buy stuff and not pay anything - including interest - for up to a year sometimes. This has helped me several times when I didn't have ready access to cash, but needed gear.

HOWEVER - as I said, consistency is not a strength at GC. Same store, I needed some PA gear. The guys I dealt with (4 of them in one day) all had really bad attitudes, and made me feel like I was being a pain in the *** just being in the store and taking up their time. They reluctantly let me power up the board and speakers I was looking to buy. For the $1200 I was about to spend you'd think they would do it with a smile. It was an unpleasant experience, but I guess the whole "buy now, pay later" scheme is just too good to pass up. It was only because of that and the other positive experiences I had that I did buy the PA gear from them. Rest assured, however, I will NOT be dealing with them for any PA needs in the future. What was odd about that experience was that the guy I usually go to was actually there, but for some reason would not help me out with the PA aquisition. Is it store policy that someone in guitars may not help a customer out who's looking for something from the Pro Audio dept?

Anyway, GCMgr - you've got quite a set on you stepping up like this. I applaud that. And I do understand the notion that there are crap employees everywhere. Mediocrity is the status quo these days almost everywhere. But just imagine how well you'd do if every single customer was treated with respect, dignity, and with the intent to keep them coming back.

Back