Mesa Boogie Triple Rec, Metal and Heavy Metal tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had no problems getting "powerful" sounds outta my triple recto im running the td9dx in front with the gain boosted in ts9 mode and a 31 band eq in the loop, together they tighten up the sound a good deal. I'd say save the money on the ns-2 and go pick up an ISP decimator gstring or pro rack g (if your running rack gear).

You can also mess with different voicings I play deathcore style stuff with drop tunings I like to use ch2 with the modern voicing for big open riffs and chugs to utilize the massive lowend the modern voicing has. I run ch3 raw with the presence cranked and gain at about 3.30 with the mids boosted and that gets a tighter more articulate sound without all the muddy bass to get in the way of single note playing... good luck with your new amp dude :D

You can also look at your tubes and speakers to tighten things up. Start with speakers. If you are looking for tight bottom end, do not use GREENBACKs or Vintage 30s. These speakers are ment to breakup early. The bottom end and midrange with sound like ripped paper. ZakK Wild uses EV speakers for a reason. GS75s have a tight bottom end and mid range.

Next look at different tubes. Get power tubes that break up later. Also look at the actual type of tube. A 6L6 from china sounds different then one from Russia, or the 6L6GE from the US. Lots of ways to improve the amp if you know what to tweek.....

Bmarchant

BMarchant said:
You can also look at your tubes and speakers to tighten things up. Start with speakers. If you are looking for tight bottom end, do not use GREENBACKs or Vintage 30s. These speakers are ment to breakup early. The bottom end and midrange with sound like ripped paper. ZakK Wild uses EV speakers for a reason. GS75s have a tight bottom end and mid range.

Next look at different tubes. Get power tubes that break up later. Also look at the actual type of tube. A 6L6 from china sounds different then one from Russia, or the 6L6GE from the US. Lots of ways to improve the amp if you know what to tweek.....

Bmarchant

i'll agree with you on the greenbacks but v30s dont break up nearly as easy. I think the v30 is a good speaker for metal because of its mids and aggressive nature. I mean almost every metal band that uses mesa cabs are using v30s and they sound fine to me. I mean it all depends on the tone your going for but saying v30s dont have a tight bottom is just not true.

Tightness all depends on how the entire cab is built. Take the stilleto and recto cabs. Same speakers but one cab is way tighter than the other. So while speakers CAN make a difference in tightness its more about how the overall system of the cab is designed.

Also you can make bigger changes in "tightness" by changing your strings, how your guitar is setup and your pickups than changing your amp or cabs. It comes down to the integration of all the components in your rig working together and if you start off with loose sounding pickups and very light strings your sound isnt going to be as tight as say a tight sounding pickups and very heavy gauge strings, hence why the zakk wylde strings are so **** thick.

kingster911 said:
EQ's in the loop, OD's in front yes. The HFS pu's just cliqued in my head as maybe what I should put in my McCarty because I couldn't ever sell that thing. I like have to keep it for the rest of my life because I have it and it's so comfortable but I need it less muddy. Does anyone think this is unethical?!

maybe a bit unethical i guess!! i play metal with a mccarty into a triple rec and love the sound. it maybe seen as a vintage guitar but that bridge mccarty pu really cuts though and is pretty hot. i find the neck pu a touch bassy but with clarity. but each to his own i guess. if the hfs get what you need go for it.

kingster911 said:
EQ's in the loop, OD's in front yes. The HFS pu's just cliqued in my head as maybe what I should put in my McCarty because I couldn't ever sell that thing. I like have to keep it for the rest of my life because I have it and it's so comfortable but I need it less muddy. Does anyone think this is unethical?!

I wouldnt say unethical because its YOUR guitar and whatever will get you what you want is fine in my book. i mean i wouldnt throw in EMGs (even thought i like them) because they kill a lot of the great tones a well made guitar can add, but throwing in an HFS or a Tremonti Treble would be fine in my book.

EQ in loop: cut 250Hz range + boost 125Hz range = mud gone, tighter base. I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago, did that, and it's pretty crazy how much better my recto sounded for tighter more modern metal riffs, TRY IT! Also try El34s and brighter preamp tubes in V1,V2 and phase inverter slots.

Back