Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ W/EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cristinelo

Reaction score
Hello there,
I recently became the owner of a Studio 22+ which is a great condition and was previously recapped.
All look good and sounds great. However I`ve changed all the tubes in it which improved a lot the sound.
Put a Jan 5751 in V1 and the rest are 12AX7.
All good quality tubes.

I`d like to try changing the speaker as well and I was thinking of Weber 12F150.
Would this be a good choice?
Anyone here experienced with this upgrade?

Wanted to try a MC90 but I can`t find one here locally.

Best.

What type of speaker is in the amp currently? Personally I do not like the celestion sound, too "smooth" for my style. Modern celestion speakers, IMO, mask everything with "sizzle", they have very sloppy attack, "fart" at high volume and leave me wondering about how the low end just plain old disappears when playing with a band, your milage may vary depending on style. To some players that is exactly the sound they're looking for and can not stand the "harshness" and the lack of coloring of the EVM12L which I love. If weight is a factor, the EVM12L is not your speaker either. JBL and Altek offer speakers with a pronounced "honk," very different than celestion or EVM12L's. It's not like there's EVM12L's and everything else, unless you listen to me, then there is EVM12L and everything else!

Markedman said:
What type of speaker is in the amp currently? Personally I do not like the celestion sound, too "smooth" for my style. Modern celestion speakers, IMO, mask everything with "sizzle", they have very sloppy attack, "fart" at high volume and leave me wondering about how the low end just plain old disappears when playing with a band, your milage may vary depending on style. To some players that is exactly the sound they're looking for and can not stand the "harshness" and the lack of coloring of the EVM12L which I love. If weight is a factor, the EVM12L is not your speaker either. JBL and Altek offer speakers with a pronounced "honk," very different than celestion or EVM12L's. It's not like there's EVM12L's and everything else, unless you listen to me, then there is EVM12L and everything else!

Very broad reply!
Currently the 22+ is loaded with the original V12. It`s the harshness that I have a problem with ,even though the highs are reduced quite a bit. I however like very much the tone in this thing.
My stiles are anywhere between Blues and Metal so I use the Lead channel quite a bit + an OD(Green Rhino).
I`d however like to keep the Clean channel as clean as possible.

( this is my opinion - taste and opinions - taste will vary from each individuals) I think a Weber 12F150 may work but I find this speaker best with 6V6s and 6L6s equip amps.

I like a Tubby Tone 40/40 (ceramic) in my Studio .22+.

I have a similar preamp tube set up 5751 in one preamp but the other instead of 12AX7 its a 12AYA[?] Yes, this is really low gain but since I don't play metal and Classic Rock is only the most gain I'd like, this is a good set-up for me, better balance between channels.

RR said:
( this is my opinion - taste and opinions - taste will vary from each individuals) I think a Weber 12F150 may work but I find this speaker best with 6V6s and 6L6s equip amps.

I have a similar preamp tube set up 5751 in one preamp but the other instead of 12AX7 its a 12AYA[?] Yes, this is really low gain but since I don't play metal and Classic Rock is only the most gain I'd like, this is a good set-up for me, better balance between channels.

I agree that is all down to taste.

I got RFT ECC81 / 12AT7 and JJ ECC802-S / 12AU7 Gold ordered and can`t wait to experiment with those too before I`d actually touch into speaker "issue".

Thanks for your input RR!

RR said:

40W in that Tubby Tone are enough to keep a head room?

cristinelo said:
RR said:

40W in that Tubby Tone are enough to keep a head room?
I'm not sure but I thought the Tubby Tone 40/40 handles 60 watts and the H1E (alnico) handles 50 watts. I would have to look that up but since the Studio .22 is something like 22 watts then you shouldn't lose any clean head room. Now the 12F150 (depending on the power handling) should give you much more headroom.

The Tubby Tone started out with a Celestion Blue type components. Weber used to supply Brown Soun with speaker parts before they found another supplier.

I read somewhere in another forum, amp builders, saying that 12AX7, 5751, and 12AY[?] other than different gains they have same characteristics so your amp preamp tone won't change much. The other preamp tubes will change the preamp tone a little.

Sorry I emphasis "opinion - taste" its that some member will post I don't what I'm talking about because that member disagree with me. Playing over 40 years I try to be impartial not close minded - :lol:

I like the original speaker in my 22+. I'd love to try an EVM12L, though. I performed one mod on my amp- I added a lead drive control. I'm a blues guitarist and it gives me much better control of the gain.

Don said:
I like the original speaker in my 22+. I'd love to try an EVM12L, though. I performed one mod on my amp- I added a lead drive control. I'm a blues guitarist and it gives me much better control of the gain.
I had another project for my Tubby Tone so I went back with the original speaker and turned down the treble, played with the other tone controls and find this speaker to my liking. So I'm staying with the original speaker (OEM Eminence copy of Jensen-like).

Just put a JAN 5751 in V1 and a RFT ECC81 / 12AT7 in V2 and the amp is not noisy anymore(had them inverted). Actually very quiet.
I`ll try soon also a JJ ECC802-S / 12AU7 Gold in V2.

Also I did replaced the Mesa EL84`s(which I think they were the originals) with Mullard EL84 and sounds very nice and warm.
Popped in some Prefered Series EL84`s last night and I think the amp sounds actually better with the Mullards.

I gave up the speaker replacement idea until I settle with a favorite set of tubes.

I don't use heaps of overdrive, only up to "heavy rock" level.
I put a Weber Blue Dog in my Studio 22+, and really like it.

Back