Mesa Boogie Strategy 500

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take...

Awesome tone and massive amounts of headroom... best cleans you will ever have. Very deep, dimensional and warm.

It has 2 switchable channels per side and the two sides are totally independant of each other in case one fails (it won't fail!!). Use the switching for a bit more grind and a volume boost if you want.

Speaking of volume... I use two quad boxes with mine (yes... this rig is heavy...) and it has such a great volume taper that I can play in my apartment at an acceptable level or crank it up half way and drown out the snare of my bands drummer if I wish to do so :twisted: Let's put it this way... I only use two quad boxes when this beast can run up to eight of them!

Reliable? 200% reliable! Never failed on me since I purchased it in the early 90's... The tubes last forever... mine was last re-tubed in 1999 and they have plenty of life left in them. Of course a re-tube is quite an investment though!

Bottom line... I love mine and will never part with it... the perfect compliment to my Quad pre or my Rocktron Pirahana or even my Behringer v-amp pro. In fact, I have even played a gig using my strategy with just a little TC integrated preamp and the original korg pandoras box... crunchy but it worked ok!

Stephen, buy one if you get the chance as they are a bit hard to come by... and all else will seem small and futile afterwards... haha :mrgreen: It will put life and juice into anything really but make sure to get a case for it with some wheels on it!

Great to hear about the volume taper ..... I never played with one at low volumes. This is very good news to me.

I was going to trade a head I do not use much for this. The owner is the original owner. It was re tubed and looked over not long ago. Never had any problems. He baby's his gear.

It was over kill for him as it is for me. But I always wanted one. He was going back in forth on the deal. Having owned it for so long.

A band I was in years ago shared a practice space with Tad and Grunt Truck. The guy from Tad had one and I spent time with it. I have spent time with a 395, 400 and several others from MESA over the years.

I have not had a stereo power amp since 97 when my rack was stolen. I have been using the power amp of my MESA Mark IV as the wet side of my rig for years.

Yesterday his brother (one of my better friends) called and told me he died a few weeks ago from a heart attack.

I well be getting the 500 before long it looks like.

Thanx everyone

Arguably one of the best power amps made, I've had mine since about '93 or so, still has the original tubes and works flawless. Mine has been through armageddon and back and has never had a single issue with it. If you have the opportunity to pick one up, I would recommend it. You could always sell it and get your money back on

Latest posts

Back