Mesa Boogie Mark I

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeddy

Reaction score
Just got this, thought you might enjoy a peek.

77MkI001.jpg

77MkI002.jpg

The amp came with the original foot switches, cables and Fetron, it had never been installed. Sounds great.

Wow that looks terrific, super clean. I can't believe the prices on these haven't gone up they really should be a collectible piece one day. Yours is going to be one of the best around. Take care of it.

Thanks. I agree, these amps aren't "point to point" but they are very much a part of rock-n-roll history. Mine also came with the original sales reciept, in 1977 it sold for $1170.00. I can remember the first one I saw/heard and the price tag back then is all that kept me from buying one. I will take very good care of it and plan to have it a long time.

Getting one dialed in is an experience but I'm enjoying every minuet.

I wonder what that would figgure out to today? In their own way, the Boogie was a kind of Dumble back in it's day huh?

The Boogie was the stolen Dumble circuit back in the day !!! Randall Smith would reverse engineer a circuit, make one change and the patent it so not even the original designer could use it. His PCB design is way more consistent then any PTP. I can't get over the fact that you have one with the EQ. Considering the limited production and buying power of Mesa in the early years, and they were still boutique, I would say that with inflation and the current market value of a boutique amp it would probably cost you $3-4K for the same amp today, not including the mass produced giant company MK I reissue. Even today a Dumble is 5K new if you can get him to build you one. then you can turn it the day after you get is for 12K. Run the bass high, vol 1 low, vol 2 high, crank the master and tell me how Dumble it really is. Tweak the treble and mids and EQ to taste. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and wait to cool.

Boogiebabies said:
The Boogie was the stolen Dumble circuit back in the day !!! Randall Smith would reverse engineer a circuit, make one change and the patent it so not even the original designer could use it.... Run the bass high, vol 1 low, vol 2 high, crank the master and tell me how Dumble it really is. Tweak the treble and mids and EQ to taste. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and wait to cool.

Holy Jumpin, I tried these settings on my 1x15 combo and there was some stuff there...room for investigation. It sure is a different than the preamp cranked settings. I found that these settings worked both with and without preamp boost engaged. I just needed to tweak the volumes to get back to a sweet spot.

Thanks for the tip.

$1170,for a MKl in 1977 ?
When I placed my order with Mesa Engineering (direct, out of they're catalog,which is how they were bought then). A MKllC+/Hardwood/EV/Reverb/Simu-Class, which I believe was everything but the EQ...
Was priced at $910. That was around 1983-4(?). Just when they were transitioning to new model. I know this as when I got the box months later ,instead of the MKllC+ I ordered,they took it upon themselves to send me,the new "improved model"(MKlll). When I called to complain that I wanted the"other model" cause reverb was weak,they would not do it.
So pretty much, price of last MKllC+ was this.
Is the receipt from Mesa, or a "middle man",which would have saved buyer the long wait,for which he charged a premium.

It would be interesting to see images of the wiring inside the Amps of those days, compared to now.They were built very heavy duty then, as impressive as point to point.
By the time of the MKlV, Mesa began to give it to "retailers",and the price of the loaded hardwood was $1899. A hefty amount.
The insides of the later lV,and this V, I'm sure will not be as impressive. These compromises would explain the lack of increases in price???
Any collector that can do such a comparison, posting images, would be exceptional.
Thanks

Mark 1's good, but VERY different from the other amps in the Mark series.

Mine, #355.

prsboog-033.jpg

Boogiebabies said:
The Boogie was the stolen Dumble circuit back in the day !!! Randall Smith would reverse engineer a circuit, make one change and the patent it so not even the original designer could use it. His PCB design is way more consistent then any PTP. I can't get over the fact that you have one with the EQ. Considering the limited production and buying power of Mesa in the early years, and they were still boutique, I would say that with inflation and the current market value of a boutique amp it would probably cost you $3-4K for the same amp today, not including the mass produced giant company MK I reissue. Even today a Dumble is 5K new if you can get him to build you one. then you can turn it the day after you get is for 12K. Run the bass high, vol 1 low, vol 2 high, crank the master and tell me how Dumble it really is. Tweak the treble and mids and EQ to taste. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and wait to cool.
totally off topic, but its good to see a BB posting...been missing it around here...good stuff!

Was the Mark I a "stolen" Dumble or was it the Mark II-A? Or maybe both? :lol:
Sorry for my ignorance but I guess I read an article where Randall Smith was defending himself from that accusation and saying that he came up with the II-A at the same time that A. Dumble came up with his amp.

Also, Mike Bendinelli told me the Mark II-A has a very unique sound that hasn't been duplicated in any other Mark series amp. Anybody has any idea why it is so?
regards

Just in case, Boogiebabies can help us here:

- Mark I 1977 (Blackface circuit): RP 5A and PWR 4

- Mark II-A 1979: RP 6A and PWR 4A

Thanks and regards
Daniel

Latest posts

Back