Mesa Boogie High Gain Amp Switcher

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drcraigmjones

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am interested in buying a MB Amp Switcher and finding an online owners manual/operations manual. I would also appreciate help in setting up the system. I currently have a Marshall JMP-1 preamp and a Marshall 2/20 power amp; and a Triaxis and a MB 20/20 power amp; 2 Rocktron Xpression rack effects; a digital rack tuner; and 2 Rocktron Intellifex units. I am happy to financially reimburse the person that can help me with this! Thanks!

Why not go with a better setup than the Mesa switcher and ditch one of your power amps and effect processors? My suggestion would be to get a nice unit with a bunch of loops (like a CAE, Switchblade, GCX, etc) and switch between preamps and effects with that.

It would look like this:

Guitar-----switcher---
(inside switching unit)
Loop1 ---- Triaxis
Loop2 ---- Jmp-1
Loop3-----Tuner (you can also put this on a slave output of your preamp or power amp)
Output -----
(leaving switching unit)
Intellifex or xpression ---- Mesa or Marshall 20/20 (whatever you like best)
20/20 ----- cabs

This way you can choose which amp you use and it would only take up 5 rack spaces. I don't know why you would need so many effects processors but there are better all in one units if you need more power for effect processing.

The mesa doesn't do Midi and it seems like you have a lot of unecessary equipment. The mesa is a bit dated by today's standards but it still can do some of the things I mentioned if you are dead set on the mesa.

You can paypal me $3k when you read this.

Greg

i found a NOS one at Guitar Center in Towson, MD yesterday. i'm sure they'll cut you a deal on it since it's been there FOREVER.

Check out this recent thread on running 2 amps together:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=17839

I ended up going with the Switchbone for the 2 reasons that it got great reviews and it was intentionally going for a pedal-type option and wanted to get away from rack stuff. BUT, some of the forum uses gave me some great feedback on different types of rack units that are out there. I would agree with the statement that the Mesa HG Amp Switcher lacks features. It would work ok with a Triaxis b/c it has the tip-to-ground switches, but I would really check out some of the other rack stuff out there. The Mesa switcher doesn't have polarity switches or any other controls. I used to have a Mesa switcher and I had mixed sessions with it. With some amp combinations it sounded huge, with others it sounded horrible - and now, in hindsight, I am attributing that to the idea that when it sounded strange the amps were probably out of phase.

Are you looking to switch between the JMP1 and the Triaxis, or are you looking to use them both at the same time? I think that could affect how you set up your effects and power amp(s).

what do you want to accomplish? sounds like you have 2 separeate rigs, one marshall, and one mesa each wit duplicate FX processors. IMO Disassembled has the best idea. get a switcher a simplify. the marshall poweramp isn't neccessary.

Latest posts

Back