Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical or Horizontal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really just think it's personal preference. I prefer the vertical. The reason I prefer it is because the top speaker is angled up and I believe I can hear it better. Plus I think it looks cooler :)

MKIVstack.jpg

I used to have a pair of horizontal recto 2x12's. They sounded great, but the Celestion Vintage 30's were EXTREMELY directional. The vertical 2x12 will probably spread the sound out a bit more with the angled top, but it's bigger, more expensive, and heavier. The horizontal 2x12's were almost too heavy already.

If you like the V30 tone, I'd highly recommend getting some beam blockers or doing the tape on the grill trick to disperse the highs. With my old 2x12's flat on the ground, it was sometimes hard to hear myself in a band situation since all the highs were beaming right at the back of my knees.

I'd give the thiele cabs a try too. They sound huge and are quite a bit smaller and lighter than the recto 2x12's.

I have a horizontal, and I end up standing it on it's end w/my combo on top. It's way too bassy and boomy flat on the floor.

Thanks for all the answers ... is there a difference in sound between the two by how they re built ? thanks once again for all your help guys !!!

please I need an good answer now ... because I need to decide if to get a vertical or not ? what are the differences are ?

Dror520 said:
please I need an good answer now ... because I need to decide if to get a vertical or not ? what are the differences are ?

It's hard to give you an answer because IMO, it's personal preference. I will give you MY opinion.

First of all, I have owned both cabs. There are plus's and minus's for both. I prefer the vertical. The plus's for that is that the top speaker is angled up and I can hear it better. It has casters so it can be rolled around. The negatives for the vertical is that it's a bigger cab and much heavier.

The plus's for the horizontal is that it's more compact and lighter. You can always stand the horizontals up if you like.

I think the horizontal cab sounds a bit bassier and tighter. Perhaps thats because the cab is lying on the ground.

I no longer own the horizontal cab, I only have the vertical cab.

I realize that this may not answer your question, but I tried. Either cab will be more than adequate!

I would get (and I have) a vertical, slanted cab. I have an older one, not a recto cab, but the slant makes all the diference. I also have a marshall 4x12 that I originally like the sound of better (before swapping speakers), but it wasn't slanted and I never heard the true sound coming from it. With the speaker swap and the slanted 2x12 everything is great now. Been practicing and gigging a lot lately and I'll say it makes a huge difference for hearing yourself...

Latest posts

Back