Mesa + BB Preamp = Awesomeness

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Around about christmas time i got myself a Xotic BB Preamp and a Fulltone OCD. Ive used lots of overdrives with Mesa amps but these two seem to be the best for the job. The OCD to be honest is not the best for boosting leads and works better as mid gain channel if the amp only has clean and distortion channels. The BB however is the best lead boost i have ever used. It stays on all the time now and my amps feel empty without it turned on.

I have read lots of posts on the forum from members who want to make subtle changes to their tone and i think the BB is the answer with mesa amps. I have tried it with a Recto and managed to make the distortion more brutal and smooth out the lead. I have tried it with the Express 5:50 and set it too add more sustain and take out some of the farty low end and i am currently using it on my F-50 to try and get a mark IV style lead.

I would not normally make such a dramatic thread over an overdrive pedal but i really think this pedal needs the attention. It gives you total control over the distortion channel on mesa's.

I will post a couple of links for the F-50 tones i am getting with it.

First is the petrucci style tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGWgHkxQ9T8

Second is with a T-Rex replica delay for a Vai tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGl5IKsIK7A

Third is a Gilbert style tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImG4txg464U

Next week im gonna do some metal with the recto

Sound as a Pound! That great technique would probably sound good thru a Sears Silvertone and Univox SuperFuzz. Can you post an A/B with and without the BB Preamp?

Yeah thats cool. I have to borrow the camera from my dad so might not be for a couple of days, untill i see him but will defo do it.

I have tried a few od pedals and always come back to the ibanez TS9 Reissue, just love that pedal, give me a nice midrange boost.

Dude, get a Roadster and a Music Man JP and you will be in heaven. Your Petrucci covers are spot on!

Great job!

I'm actually looking at getting a roadster but i wanna hear the upgraded dual recs first. just too see if they have any new magic

Nice! I tried the Zakk Wylde OD on my F-30 and it sounds awesome too.

Watching your vid, all I can say is that having good technique helps a lot. You deserve a Mark V man! Haha.

Post more JP/DT covers using the F-50. I think that would really be great so more people can see how wonderful this series is.

The BB and the AC by Xotic are the only two boost pedals that have stayed on my pedalboard and the only two I fully recommend. Running them with a LSS.

Wow- I really love your playing and tone on the Vai piece! And all that with the F-50, the BB Preamp and a delay? Just wow.....!

I have yet to try it with the lonstar but after watching andy timmons i would say it works very well with that too. I am thinking of getting a AC too just for nit more variety

Very good playing and tone. I will order the Stiletto Deuce II in the upcoming week. I wil be more than happy if i manage to tweek so good tones out of the Stiletto as you did with the F30! :roll:

I have never played a BB preamp (but hope to eventually). But for those who are fans of this pedal, you might also consider a Timmy OD pedal. I have/had a Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, OCD, Fulltone Robin Trower OD, 1979 DS-1, and others and this is by far the best out of all of them. Just my $.02 from a fellow gear ***** :)

bryantkh said:
Agreed. Channel 2 of my Lonestar and a BB are an amazing pair.

How does the LSC sound with the Xotic BB on Channel 2?
Thanks in advance.

Pyro,
What is your setup running the BB into the F50? ie; what channel, gain settings on the amp and pedal, etc. I have an F50, but also just picked up a TA-15 that I would'nt mind giving a little more sizzle at times.

I have the 1st version Xotic BB Preamp and use it with my Mesa F30 and Triple Rec, sounds good also in front of the Orange Tiny Terror. Overall it's a must for any rig. Would never go without it.

Latest posts

Back