Mesa Amp Choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Mesa?

• Express 5:50

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Lone Star

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Mark IV

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Road King II

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Stiletto

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other (Please post other option)

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
ok i posted another amp clip on net musicians...just the trident this time.

the clip is actually old, from the day I got the amp. I was playing very shitty in particular that day, I was too happy and excited haha. The clip is low volume, but it gets the point across that the stiletto can do metal very well without a boost. The gain is at 11:00 on fluid drive, and that is all the gain you need.

the other clip on the page is a mixture of the stiletto and roadster...i mislabeled the clip though, the roadster is on the left side (the fizzy amp) and the stiletto is on the right. my mistake haha

here is the link

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Mesa%20Boogie%20Stiletto%20Trident%20Stage%20II&section=amp

if that don't work try this

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Mesa%20Boogie%20Stiletto%20Trident%20Stage%20II&section=amp

if the links don't work, just go to netmusicians.org and go to the mesa stiletto trident stage II section and my clips are there
enjoysss

rich said:
ok i posted another amp clip on net musicians...just the trident this time.

the clip is actually old, from the day I got the amp. I was playing very sh!t in particular that day, I was too happy and excited haha. The clip is low volume, but it gets the point across that the stiletto can do metal very well without a boost. The gain is at 11:00 on fluid drive, and that is all the gain you need.

the other clip on the page is a mixture of the stiletto and roadster...i mislabeled the clip though, the roadster is on the left side (the fizzy amp) and the stiletto is on the right. my mistake haha

here is the link

if that don't work try this

if the links don't work, just go to netmusicians.org and go to the mesa stiletto trident stage II section and my clips are there
enjoysss

Thanks a million for posting the clips Rich. The Stiletto tones you get on the first clip were brilliant even at low volumes. Were your running the amp in 50w mode and had the master control low too? The second clip sounded a bit fizzy on the left side with the Stiletto. I would more expect that from the Roadster. The Roadster slayed on the right side though.

EDIT: I wonder if I my headphones are mixed up since they aren't labeled.

Thanks bro

In all the clips I was in 150w with the master quite low.

In the second clip, all the fizz is coming from the roadster. I originally mislabeled that clip and said the roadster was on the right, but the stiletto is actually. I probably had my headphones backwards haha. Stiletto=fizz free haha.

rich said:
Thanks bro

In all the clips I was in 150w with the master quite low.

In the second clip, all the fizz is coming from the roadster. I originally mislabeled that clip and said the roadster was on the right, but the stiletto is actually. I probably had my headphones backwards haha. Stiletto=fizz free haha.

It's good to find an amp with a master control that can still yield great gain tones with the master set really low. It's even better to find a player who dialed in the amp good and did it justice like you did Rich. I just read the comments on the page and I saw that you said the amps were the opposite sides. I was worried that the Stiletto was the little fizz box I was hearing. This amp just delivers. I love the fluid drive of the amp and the cleans are great for what they do also. After hearing your Stiletto I'm in love.

Also my younger cousin is about to enter the market for a new amp once he gets a clear from the rents. I'll have some question about lower wattage Mesa amps to help him out later on.

EDIT:
Assuming that the Roadster and Road King are completely the same tonally as far as running 6l6 tubes would swapping the tubes to el34's in a Roadster get me closer to a Stiletto tone somewhere in the mix of channel's 2 and 3? Granted the cabinet switcher and progressive linkage are two factors that drew me to the RK I don't necessarily need them as I won't be running multiple cab setups and I can deal with my tube settings now. I figure channel 1 and 2's cleans won't be as pristine, probably more Stiletto-ish which I can live with. My mind tells me the bass response may be looser (which I don't want). Maybe a swap of some preamp tubes may help tighten up the bottom end although I don't know which. How would the el34's affect channels 3 & 4? Can anyone chime in on any of these points?

Thanks for the awesome comment, I'm glad I was of some help. By the way, in the clip with just the stiletto i was in fluid drive, but in the clip with the roadster my stiletto was in tite gain. You don't have to worry about fizz with this amp :) haha. Also, the cleans are surely the best I have ever heard besides the Lone Star. The stiletto cleans on fat are like a lone star with el34s, kind of hah. They are still really really good. Even with emgs lol

I had a dual rec 3 channel, but more importantly my guitarist has a roadster head. We put my spare el34s in his head and it sounded pretty good, but there was no mistaking that it was still a rectifier. It changed the clean channel the most I felt, and not for the better. The distortion channels got a little tighter/crunchier, but it was surely still a rectifier and not a stiletto. The roadsters brit mode with the 34s did sound a little bit like the stiletto on it's channel 1 crunch actually. Low gain marshally sound.

It's great though because my amp and his blend amazing. His amp takes over where mine is weaker and mine takes over where his is weaker. I've described it like this before...the roadster hits you in the balls and the stiletto hits you in the chest. If you want tight, get the stiletto.

In my opinion, changing tubes in amps in general only alters the tone marginally. I would suggest trying all the amps out as they are and not trying to already coax tones from the amp that may or may not be there. If you love an amp from the get go, without wanting to change tubes, it can only get better from there imo.
good luck dude

rich said:
Thanks for the awesome comment, I'm glad I was of some help. By the way, in the clip with just the stiletto i was in fluid drive, but in the clip with the roadster my stiletto was in tite gain. You don't have to worry about fizz with this amp :) haha. Also, the cleans are surely the best I have ever heard besides the Lone Star. The stiletto cleans on fat are like a lone star with el34s, kind of hah. They are still really really good. Even with emgs lol

I had a dual rec 3 channel, but more importantly my guitarist has a roadster head. We put my spare el34s in his head and it sounded pretty good, but there was no mistaking that it was still a rectifier. It changed the clean channel the most I felt, and not for the better. The distortion channels got a little tighter/crunchier, but it was surely still a rectifier and not a stiletto. The roadsters brit mode with the 34s did sound a little bit like the stiletto on it's channel 1 crunch actually. Low gain marshally sound.

It's great though because my amp and his blend amazing. His amp takes over where mine is weaker and mine takes over where his is weaker. I've described it like this before...the roadster hits you in the balls and the stiletto hits you in the chest. If you want tight, get the stiletto.

In my opinion, changing tubes in amps in general only alters the tone marginally. I would suggest trying all the amps out as they are and not trying to already coax tones from the amp that may or may not be there. If you love an amp from the get go, without wanting to change tubes, it can only get better from there imo.
good luck dude

Thanks for all the help. Just wondering if the Roadster have in EL34's when this was recorded? Even after considering tube swapping I am on the fence with these amp choices. I'm heading out to another shop this weekend for another round of trials. Right now after considering alot of the information that I received from everyone here I am going to go the multi-amp route over time. I'll just choose an amp that will suit me well enough for the time being instead of hunting down the swiss army knife of amps for all of my tastes.

Thanks for all the help everyone and I'll report back once I give the amps another go around.

Hey OsirisProtocol,

I was in the same exact dilemma exactly a year ago. Looking for a lasting amp. Hoping to make the best out of the money i spent. And finally i ended up with a Road King II. Till now, i have no complains for this amp, just that i think i am doing the amp a little injustice for only playing it at home. :wink: I have heard that Mesa's need to be real loud to get the balls rolling, but from my experience, i can still get it running pretty satisfying at bedroom levels. Like you, i run through all sorts of music blues, jazz metal rock and this amp really switches styles that easily. I have to admit that this amp is pretty dark sounding but i am still experimenting with the amp to see what i could discover. The cleans are also real chimey. i too owns a PRS singlecut and i have Washburn with Dimarzio's Paf pro. But the Road King can clean it up real well.

All the best in making your choice!

rich said:
No, the roadster had 6l6s when it was recorded.
Thanks alot mate.

kissing said:
Hey OsirisProtocol,

I was in the same exact dilemma exactly a year ago. Looking for a lasting amp. Hoping to make the best out of the money i spent. And finally i ended up with a Road King II. Till now, i have no complains for this amp, just that i think i am doing the amp a little injustice for only playing it at home. :wink: I have heard that Mesa's need to be real loud to get the balls rolling, but from my experience, i can still get it running pretty satisfying at bedroom levels. Like you, i run through all sorts of music blues, jazz metal rock and this amp really switches styles that easily. I have to admit that this amp is pretty dark sounding but i am still experimenting with the amp to see what i could discover. The cleans are also real chimey. i too owns a PRS singlecut and i have Washburn with Dimarzio's Paf pro. But the Road King can clean it up real well.

All the best in making your choice!

Thanks for responding. As it looks right now I think the Road King II or Roadster would be most satisfying in terms of sheer versatility (unless the Mark V proves otherwise). I've decided to get the Lone Star, Stiletto and Mark V down the line along with a Rectifier series amp simply because they each do what they do so well. I'm just gonna decide on which will give me the most flexibility right now so I won't be as picky with things like the RK's darkness. Chances are I will probably end up with a Road King now.

I disappeared from the board for awhile to do some testing on my own.

I had the opportunity to borrow a Roadster for two weeks. I really love the tones I can get out of this amp and its sheer versatility. Cleans were great and very flexible with all the guitars I ran through it that I had on loan. The chug tones were great, yes dark but still great. This amps just hits you in the balls in the high gain channels. With all of that said there was a certain level of fuzziness along with the dark tone that I couldn't really get past. During the time I had the amp I didn't have any access to eq pedals to help remove that darkness. I also couldn't seem to get a lead tone that I want from it. I love this amp and what it can do but it doesn't seem like it's right for me right now. Down the line once I take care of more pressing tonal needs I'll grab one.

I got to play a few different Lone Stars. I basically hunted down down friends and friends of friends who owned the amp and did some traveling. As expected I really do love the Lone Star but there just isn't enough gain on tap. Well I shouldn't say that. It's not the type of gain that I am looking for. The LS's gain tones are great and I find them very usable for what I want but there is another characteristic I want out of the od that I can't get with any of the pedals I tried it with. I played the amps through each persons personal rig with their own od pedals so I had alot to choose from. The Lone Star has to go on the back burner atm because of gain needs but if I do get the budget soon for a dual amp rig then the Lone Star is mine.

I'm in the process of hunting down Stiletto's to try out extensively and some Mark IV's. I'm liking the Stiletto more and more lately for their cleans and gain. From what I hear they aren't as ballsy as the recs (fine with me) but still sound great from clips I've heard (thanks again rich). The Mark IV is another great option because I just know in my head that it has the lead tones I'm looking for. I'm thinking I can get some good chug tones out of it too with the eq in the V position. Before I pull the trigger on a M IV I'll wait till I can test a M V.

no problem. i never got around to posting another clip, ive been very very busy lately.

i will get around to it very soon though, i promise.

i had the mark iv too, its a great amp but just less modern sounding than the stiletto in my opinion. the cleans are also better for sure on the stiletto (imo) which is surprising for el34s. i actually just got another rectifier to run in stereo with my stiletto, but i don't because carrying both heads is a pain in the balls.

money is actually a little tight right now, i'm selling some of my guitars and i actually might have to sell my stiletto :( for now

i would pick that over my rec because my rec is a two channel in mint/original condition inside and out...once money is better i can always walk into a store and pickup a stage II stiletto again on the spot. i hope i don't have to sell it, although the deuce would be a little more practical for my needs anyway.
so far, i sold my gibson explorer 84 reissue, ltd ex351, ltd alexi 600, and i have a ltd dv8 and ltd black and pink alexi for sale on ebay. i of course kept all my esps, and refuse to let one of them go, so the stiletto will have to go next if need be. :( here is my ebay link if anyone is interested.
http://myworld.ebay.com/rpcennamo/

rich said:
no problem. i never got around to posting another clip, ive been very very busy lately.

i will get around to it very soon though, i promise.

i had the mark iv too, its a great amp but just less modern sounding than the stiletto in my opinion. the cleans are also better for sure on the stiletto (imo) which is surprising for el34s. i actually just got another rectifier to run in stereo with my stiletto, but i don't because carrying both heads is a pain in the balls.

money is actually a little tight right now, i'm selling some of my guitars and i actually might have to sell my stiletto :( for now

i would pick that over my rec because my rec is a two channel in mint/original condition inside and out...once money is better i can always walk into a store and pickup a stage II stiletto again on the spot. i hope i don't have to sell it, although the deuce would be a little more practical for my needs anyway.
so far, i sold my gibson explorer 84 reissue, ltd ex351, ltd alexi 600, and i have a ltd dv8 and ltd black and pink alexi for sale on ebay. i of course kept all my esps, and refuse to let one of them go, so the stiletto will have to go next if need be. :( here is my ebay link if anyone is interested.
http://myworld.ebay.com/rpcennamo/

Sorry to hear about your money troubles mate. I hope you get through these rough times with minimal gear loss. Best of luck to you.

No worries with the clips mate. If you ever get the time to record some posting would be great but I'm looking to spend quality time with a Stiletto and Mark IV when I get the time.

Denny,

Here's my two cents on your amp quest, based on my experiences having owned a Roadster, a MKIV, a Recto 50, a DC-5, a Lonestar Special, a Lonestar Classic (currently), a Heartbreaker (twice), an Express 5:50, and DC-10 (currently):

For what you're describing, I would look into a MKIV and a DC-10 if you can hunt one down. However, while the MKIV is a fabulous amp and easily does fluid gain, as well as high gain chug, it is a finicky amp that in my experience, never sounds the same way twice in the same place. You can tweak it until the cows come home and it indeed takes time to EQ properly for your needs. It is in no way a plug and chug amp! The cleans are quite good and do have a Fender vibe to them, but the Lonestar, DC-10 and Express 5:50 cleans, to my ears, are much warmer and superior to the MKIV. FWIW, I A-B'd my Lonestar Classic with a Fender Pro Reverb and the difference between them was negligible. Also, I run EL34s in my Lonestar which does not sabotage the Fender-iness, but gives the OD channel more of a Plexi feel.

I would discourage you from the 5:50 because simply put, the hi-gain (burn setting) is lacking for what you want - it just doesn't chug.This was why I sold mine. Great cleans and great low and mid-gains, but weak "hi-gain".

I thought that the Roadster would be THE answer, but no matter how you dress it up, it's still a Recto under the hood, which is why I traded it for a MKIV. The channel one clean was Lonestar beautiful, but channels 3 and 4 still had the Recto fizzzzzzzzzz.

Before you drop $1200+ on a MK IV-V or a Roadking. Do yourself a favor and play a DC-10.
To me (and quite a few other guys on the BB) "it is what the MKIV should have been".
It has a very, very similar OD structure to the MKIV, has the GEQ, and (to me) has a better clean than the MKIV (less sterile, more warm and chimey). On top of that, you can usually snag one for $750-850. It does tight high gain well and can chug as well as a MKIV.

Hope that this helps FWIW :wink:

Matt

mdortona said:
Denny,

Here's my two cents on your amp quest, based on my experiences having owned a Roadster, a MKIV, a Recto 50, a DC-5, a Lonestar Special, a Lonestar Classic (currently), a Heartbreaker (twice), an Express 5:50, and DC-10 (currently):

For what you're describing, I would look into a MKIV and a DC-10 if you can hunt one down. However, while the MKIV is a fabulous amp and easily does fluid gain, as well as high gain chug, it is a finicky amp that in my experience, never sounds the same way twice in the same place. You can tweak it until the cows come home and it indeed takes time to EQ properly for your needs. It is in no way a plug and chug amp! The cleans are quite good and do have a Fender vibe to them, but the Lonestar, DC-10 and Express 5:50 cleans, to my ears, are much warmer and superior to the MKIV. FWIW, I A-B'd my Lonestar Classic with a Fender Pro Reverb and the difference between them was negligible. Also, I run EL34s in my Lonestar which does not sabotage the Fender-iness, but gives the OD channel more of a Plexi feel.

I would discourage you from the 5:50 because simply put, the hi-gain (burn setting) is lacking for what you want - it just doesn't chug.This was why I sold mine. Great cleans and great low and mid-gains, but weak "hi-gain".

I thought that the Roadster would be THE answer, but no matter how you dress it up, it's still a Recto under the hood, which is why I traded it for a MKIV. The channel one clean was Lonestar beautiful, but channels 3 and 4 still had the Recto fizzzzzzzzzz.

Before you drop $1200+ on a MK IV-V or a Roadking. Do yourself a favor and play a DC-10.
To me (and quite a few other guys on the BB) "it is what the MKIV should have been".
It has a very, very similar OD structure to the MKIV, has the GEQ, and (to me) has a better clean than the MKIV (less sterile, more warm and chimey). On top of that, you can usually snag one for $750-850. It does tight high gain well and can chug as well as a MKIV.

Hope that this helps FWIW :wink:

Matt

Thanks for chiming in Matt.

I've dealt with temperamental amps before that just won't give me the same tone or feel on different days. It's good to at least know that going into a Mark IV so I don't curse myself and have immediate thoughts of scraping the amp. I actually don't mind the fact that its not a plug and play type of amp (no Mesa I've played so far is really) or that its a bit temperamental. Once I spend time with an amp and know that the tone is there I don't mind tweaking from day to day since I can't leave knobs alone anyway. My only gripe would be major reshaping of my eq when gigging. That can be a big pain and drag down my performance since I won't be feeling my tone. If the amp is tonally worth it I'm willing to work with it.

I haven't heard much of the DC's so far. I did a quick net search before posting and it doesn't look like I can get my hands on one to try out easily. I'm gonna hunt one down locally to test. If I can't find one I'll check for some outside of the state and plan a road trip. I'd really want to at least try one out as I want to give every amp a chance to see where they can take me. Since you said the cleans seem to be better (for my tastes at least) I'm gonna stick it out until I find one to try.

At the moment the only way I would buy an Express model is if I end up not gigging and I don't need the sheer volume. I'd probably through an OD in front to boost the gain to where I need it to be if possible. It's either that really or get an attenuator one of the other amps on the list.

I agree with how you feel about the Roadster also. As much as I wanted to love the amp it was still a Rec at heart and I couldn't get through the fizz personally. One day I'll own one maybe but atm that's not what I need.

Thanks again for your help Matt.

Denny,

Just so you know, you can definitely gig with a 5:50 (I used to). Don't let that 5 watt setting fool you - it's still pretty loud.

Matt

mdortona said:
Denny,

Just so you know, you can definitely gig with a 5:50 (I used to). Don't let that 5 watt setting fool you - it's still pretty loud.

Matt
Yeah I wouldn't be concerned with not being able to gig with it really. 5 watt's is pretty loud in my experience and flipping over to the 50w side of things would definitely keep me in the mix volume wise. My only concern with the 5:50 is that it isn't what I want tonally. Maybe with an OD in front but I'll see.

I choose stiletto deuce, since I'm used to EL34 amps. Also love the LSC though

I've been bouncing back and forth between the two amp types for awhile and at the moment I can't claim allegiance to either side at the moment. I have realized that alot of the bands I do enjoy the tones of use EL34 based amps so that is attracting me to the Stiletto some more.

Latest posts

Back