Mesa Amp Choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Mesa?

• Express 5:50

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Lone Star

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Mark IV

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Road King II

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Stiletto

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other (Please post other option)

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new to the boards and I've been looking into different Mesa amps for awhile now. I sold off all of my guitars last summer and purchased a PRS Singlecut. After buying it I decided to buy gear that I know would be keepers (or at least last long). With that said and some previous experience with Mesa amps I am looking to buying a Mesa. So I decided to sell my Vox, keep my Gemini (sentimental value and its a brilliant amp) and look for a new amp.

Background:
I started researching amps two months ago. I'm a college student and I want to invest in an amp that will last a lifetime. I know a lifetime with a single amp is kinda unrealistic but I want to try :wink:. I don't mind owning different amps down the line for different applications but this is a here and now deal. So I've come looking for assistance.

I play anything from blues to metal depending on my mood and who I'm playing with. At the moment I am not in a band since I hop back and forth between Buffalo and NYC alot. I'll be making a permanent move to Buffalo soon so I will look for a new band this summer. So wattage is a concern for me with private practice, band practice and future gigs. Because I personally play a lot of different genres of music I'd prefer a versatile amp. I do play metal on my own but I don't see myself in a metal band in the future so that's something to consider. Great cleans are what's most important to me. Also I will be saving for whatever amp I choose over time. I have to make sure I keep up with my tuition payments after all.

Reference list of artist tones I play towards:
All That Remains
Andy Timmons
Arctic Monkeys
As I lay Dying
Chevelle
Circa Curvive
Coheed and Cambria
Fall of Troy
Jet
John Mayer
John Petrucci
My American Heart (Yeah I know... )
Red Hot Chili Peppers
and the list goes on and on....

Lone Star:
I love the Lone Star. It has perfect cleans imo. Yet I also want brilliant crunch and lead tones in the area of a Stiletto Deuce to a Dual Rectifier. I'm tempted to go the Any Timmons route with a Lone Star and Stiletto Deuce rig over time but I want to way my options. I know the LS isn't a high gain amp and because of that I don't think it would be quite suitable for metal or have a thick/tight low end for some chug. I know I can always use an OD pedal but it won't be the same for really good heavy rock to metal tones. I wouldn't mind buying the Lone Star now and buying a supplemental amp for heavier tones when I can spare the cash if needed.

Stiletto:
I admit I'm a fan of the Marshall tone. I've never been a fan of the amps for reliability issues amongst other things but that's a different story. From what I've heard and understand the Stiletto has a great Marshall like tone done the Mesa way. Alot of the clips I heard of the amp have been horrid tbh. I blame it on bad eq'ing and recording so I don't hold anything against the amp really. I know Travis from Coheed and Cambria uses one and I like the tone he gets from it. I'm looking for more info on the amp in general and to see where it can take me tone wise.

Mark IV:
I've heard nothing but good things about these amps. Pete Loeffler of Chevelle uses one and I love how heavy and clear his tone is with his baritones' and drop tuning. The bad thing is I have had a hard time tracking them down to try out. So with that being said, judging from what I want would the Mark IV be a good choice for me if I can find one? Also I've been told to check out the Mark V. I've heard one demo of the amp at NAMM. I wasn't really impressed because of all the background noise and random knob spinning in the video. No doubt it's a great amp I just need to check it out myself.

Express 5:50:
I don't know much about these amps in truth. I've heard a few clips and I like the clean tones some users got out of them. Besides the tone I'm looking into it for the lower wattage. I won't be able to let loose the full 100w of the other amps outside of some band rehearsals and some gigs so a 5:50 would be a bit more reasonable volume wise. It would be a waste to have a great sounding amp that I can push all the time to get the tone I want. I've never used an attenuator (not against using one) and I've heard of cheaper models just sucking tone from amps so I don't have alot of options in this department. If I can find a really good attenuator for a decent price I'd go with one of the other models for my needs if they fit.

Road King II:
The Road King II seems to be the answer to my problems. I understand the low gain channels use the Lone Star's preamp and the high gain channels use the Rectifier's. I want to stay as close as possible to the Lone Star cleans. For those of you who played/owned both amps does the Road King II really cop Lone Star tones? Can channels 3 & 4 handle Deuce tones along with Rectifier tones or is it just a Rectifier type of unit? It would be great if the amp can cop some Marshall like tones like the Stiletto too. Also can I get a nice fluid lead tone out of the amp by itself? I know people usually use boosters (i.e. BB preamp) on their Lone Stars for a great lead tone but as a single amp can this be dialed in the RKII? I'd really like to get a great lead/soloing tone out of the amp. The RKII is also a bit darker than its Rectifier counterparts. Can this be dialed out or is there a mod to help with this down the line? If the RK can really handle everything I want as far as these amps are concerned then this will more than likely be my choice amp based on sheer versatility.

If anyone can send any advice my way or post any clips they have around to help me out please do. Thanks for reading and any help you can give. Love the forum here guys and keep rocking.

Denny,

First off, welcome to the board and thank you for being an incredibly detailed poster. You make it easy to make recommendations with a question like that. I wish others would take note.

Singlecut:
That being said, here's a good clip of a Stilleto with a SC by a forum user here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPcuFHvSRf0
He's run the gamut of Mesa amps so he may give you some advice as well. Go here for Timmons, Coheed, Jet

Lonestar:
If you have the money for two amps, this is a no brainer. Get a lonestar and pair it with something else. Chili Peppers, Timmons, Mayer

Mark vs. Rectifier:
You pretty much nailed the amp descriptions. The one thing I want to bring to your attention is the Rectifier vs. Mark sound. The Mark has a very tight, very creamy sound. The cleans are truly Fender-like on every Mark out there. The gain on the IV can get into that deep chug territory, but that is really the Recto's forte. So, when deciding between Recto vs. Mark, you need to think about what style of metal you'll play. Will it be tight stuff with a singing lead tone? Then go Mark. Or will it be mostly very high gain, deep, loose chug? Then go Recto. On its own the Recto cannot compete with a MarkIV's creamy lead tone, nor can it get as tight. To get in the ballpark you NEED a boost pedal, such as a TS808.

Another complaint many people have with Rectifiers is that they can sound kind of "fizzy" and have some difficult high frequencies to dial out. The solution here is to purchase an old 2-channel Rectifier which has a more organic sound. But, you'll lose a lot of the versatility you can get with the newer Mesas out right now. So, if you're a tone purist and decide on a Recto, go for an old one. These are tighter and have a better lead tone (but still not a Mark).

I really don't think the Road King can get British tones the way a Stilleto can. It can get kind close, but not the same.

The Mark5 is advertised to be the final amp any human could want. I really think it's worth waiting a month for it to hit stores and try one out.

Mark will nail Petrucci, Chevelle, the faster metal and nice lead tones. It should also do Chili Peppers well, and Mayer. Recto will do the heavier, chuggier stuff.

Express:
I really don't think the Express is for you, especially if you'll do live work. It's lower wattage and it's gain is not as aggressive as the Rectos or Marks.

My vote is wait for mark5

Elpelotero said:
Denny,

First off, welcome to the board and thank you for being an incredibly detailed poster. You make it easy to make recommendations with a question like that. I wish others would take note.

Singlecut:
That being said, here's a good clip of a Stilleto with a SC by a forum user here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPcuFHvSRf0
He's run the gamut of Mesa amps so he may give you some advice as well. Go here for Timmons, Coheed, Jet

Lonestar:
If you have the money for two amps, this is a no brainer. Get a lonestar and pair it with something else. Chili Peppers, Timmons, Mayer

Mark vs. Rectifier:
You pretty much nailed the amp descriptions. The one thing I want to bring to your attention is the Rectifier vs. Mark sound. The Mark has a very tight, very creamy sound. The cleans are truly Fender-like on every Mark out there. The gain on the IV can get into that deep chug territory, but that is really the Recto's forte. So, when deciding between Recto vs. Mark, you need to think about what style of metal you'll play. Will it be tight stuff with a singing lead tone? Then go Mark. Or will it be mostly very high gain, deep, loose chug? Then go Recto. On its own the Recto cannot compete with a MarkIV's creamy lead tone, nor can it get as tight. To get in the ballpark you NEED a boost pedal, such as a TS808.

Another complaint many people have with Rectifiers is that they can sound kind of "fizzy" and have some difficult high frequencies to dial out. The solution here is to purchase an old 2-channel Rectifier which has a more organic sound. But, you'll lose a lot of the versatility you can get with the newer Mesas out right now. So, if you're a tone purist and decide on a Recto, go for an old one. These are tighter and have a better lead tone (but still not a Mark).

I really don't think the Road King can get British tones the way a Stilleto can. It can get kind close, but not the same.

The Mark5 is advertised to be the final amp any human could want. I really think it's worth waiting a month for it to hit stores and try one out.

Mark will nail Petrucci, Chevelle, the faster metal and nice lead tones. It should also do Chili Peppers well, and Mayer. Recto will do the heavier, chuggier stuff.

Express:
I really don't think the Express is for you, especially if you'll do live work. It's lower wattage and it's gain is not as aggressive as the Rectos or Marks.

My vote is wait for mark5

Thanks alot for responding Elpelotero.

Stiletto:
Ibanez4lifesz's clip of the Stiletto was great. It gave me a better idea of where it can go gain wise. It sounds like it could be a great amp for me after Ibby's and Timmons' demos of the amp. Great cleans and great gain tones.

Lone Star:
I really love this amp and I can't stop saying it :D. I don't have the cash for two separate amps at the moment as I am saving up the cash for a first anyway. I wouldn't mind saving to get two different amps as long as I find two that work for me so I'll definitely be open to this option if I can decide on a heavy compliment for the LS.

Marks & Rectifiers:
From what you've said I think the Mark series would suit me more. I do want to get a good metal chug out of the amp but I also want a nice fluid lead tone straight from the amp as much as possible. I had a Dual Rec on loan awhile back which why I didn't consider getting one myself. I loved the amp but I had a problem with the fizzy sound and loose low end you talked about. It did a great job for what I needed with my old band at the time but its not what I want in the long run so the Mark IV would win this battle (especially if the cleans really are Fender like).

Road King:
If the RK can get close to Stiletto tones that may be ok for me. I'll have to try it myself too see how close it can get though. When I did try it I didn't notice any fizzyness and like the other Rec's but I was more concerned with the darkness. If it's still fizzy and has a loose low end I may have to scrap that amp as a choice or go on a mod hunt to get it to my liking.

Mark V:
I'll have to wait it out while I save up the cash so I'll give the MKV some time. If its all its cracked up to be it'll be an easy amp choice for me.

Express:
It's simply out the door now. :D

Thanks for all of your help once again.

dodger916 said:
^ +1. Doesn't the Mark IV go down to around 15 watts in Class A, Tweed, Triode?

If it does that would be a definite plus for getting the amp. It's also another attractive feature on the Lone Star for me.

You're right on about the Road King. I've only played one before at moderate volume and it wasn't the same as my old rectos, which is impossible. The circuitry is completely different. But most people on here agree that the Road Kings have a smoother gain than the regular 3ch rectos. Don't get caught up into imagining things that aren't there though...a recto is a recto is a recto. If you like rectos, it's a clear winner.

Elpelotero said:
You're right on about the Road King. I've only played one before at moderate volume and it wasn't the same as my old rectos, which is impossible. The circuitry is completely different. But most people on here agree that the Road Kings have a smoother gain than the regular 3ch rectos. Don't get caught up into imagining things that aren't there though...a recto is a recto is a recto. If you like rectos, it's a clear winner.
Thanks for explaining that for me. When I get my chance to try out the RKII I wasn't actively comparing it to the other Rec's I've tried but I did notice it wasn't the same from me previous experiences. The biggest issue I had was the darkness of the amp. I didn't spend too much time with it at the time so I don't know if I can dial it out or not but I'll see in time.

i picked the express 5:50 because the cleans are really nice and it can get a thick modern distortion. i guess it might get a bad rap because its the "starter" boogie. i played one once and i absolutley loved it! after trying that out i had to sell my marshall and get a mesa.

my dad has a lonestar and the cleans are super nice for sure and the leads sing and put out more distortion than you might expect from a "fender copy" but its no dual rec. i tried it out with a boss ds-1 and an eq pedal and it sounded alot more metal-y.

i would also say mark 4 just because theyre the top of the line amps (except for the mark 5) so you would be pretty happy with that i imagine even though ive never played one

lerxst88 said:
i picked the express 5:50 because the cleans are really nice and it can get a thick modern distortion. i guess it might get a bad rap because its the "starter" boogie. i played one once and i absolutley loved it! after trying that out i had to sell my marshall and get a mesa.

my dad has a lonestar and the cleans are super nice for sure and the leads sing and put out more distortion than you might expect from a "fender copy" but its no dual rec. i tried it out with a boss ds-1 and an eq pedal and it sounded alot more metal-y.

i would also say mark 4 just because theyre the top of the line amps (except for the mark 5) so you would be pretty happy with that i imagine even though ive never played one

I'll have to hunt down a 5:50 myself since I don't really know much about them besides the nice cleans they have. I really don't mind the whole idea of a "starter" Mesa as long as its an amp I love. Anything is worth a shot now so I'll check one out when I find one to demo.

I'd really love the Lone Star and honestly if I do go with one I won't put too much effort into pushing it into metal and harder rock tones. If by some chance I do find a suitable metal tone for my taste out of the amp then great but if not I will just supplement the amp with one for heavier tones.

I'm calling up local shops today to see if they have any used Mark IV's in stock that I can go test. So far no luck but I really want to give one a try after all I heard about them.

OsirisProtocol said:
I'll have to hunt down a 5:50 myself since I don't really know much about them besides the nice cleans they have. I really don't mind the whole idea of a "starter" Mesa as long as its an amp I love. Anything is worth a shot now so I'll check one out when I find one to demo.

I'd really love the Lone Star and honestly if I do go with one I won't put too much effort into pushing it into metal and harder rock tones. If by some chance I do find a suitable metal tone for my taste out of the amp then great but if not I will just supplement the amp with one for heavier tones.

I'm calling up local shops today to see if they have any used Mark IV's in stock that I can go test. So far no luck but I really want to give one a try after all I heard about them.
Also consider your playng style and amp response you're after. Do you prefer an amp with urgency or a little "grease"? Mark IV's are urgency defined, but can also get greasy in Tweed/Triode/Class A mode. Lonestars are probably medium grease, and have the added benefit of the dual rectifier option (tube or diode). Never played a Lonestar I didn't like. Though not often discussed, the 4x10 Lonestar is my favorite so far - plenty of bass plus the 10's really wail. Mark or Lonestar, you'll have a kick-*** amp! They're both legends, and for good reason.

dodger916 said:
OsirisProtocol said:

Also consider your playng style and amp response you're after. Do you prefer an amp with urgency or a little "grease"? Mark IV's are urgency defined, but can also get greasy in Tweed/Triode/Class A mode. Lonestars are probably medium grease, and have the added benefit of the dual rectifier option (tube or diode). Never played a Lonestar I didn't like. Though not often discussed, the 4x10 Lonestar is my favorite so far - plenty of bass plus the 10's really wail. Mark or Lonestar, you'll have a kick-*** amp! They're both legends, and for good reason.

My Gemini really responds to how I play really well and I love that. I can crank it and roll back the volume on my guitar and stay clean until I dig in or raise the guitars volume depending on the guitar. Some guitars just want to push the amp more :wink:. That being said I didn't pay much attention to that in some of the amps I tried out. For instance when I tried the LS I was so impressed with the tone at first play that there wasn't much room in my already swirling head to process much more at the time. I'd like whatever amp I get to respond in the same was as my Gemini though. I want to be able to feel what I am playing and my amp feel it too based on how I'm playing. On my next go around I'll be sure to pay more attention to this aspect of the amps.

I also didn't put much effort in cab hunting yet as I want to make sure I know what head I want first. So far of the amps that I have tried I played them through matching line cabs that were either 2x12's or 4x12's depending on the model in question.

I'm thinking about a dual amp rig of a Lone Star and Mark IV (if I end up disliking the Mark V when I get to try one). The LS would be more of a clean amp with its own lead settings and the MIV would be for my dirtier tones and an alternate clean with different lead settings. At the moment the Lone Star, Mark IV and Stiletto are front runners in my eyes.

Hey Orisris,
If you're not in a hurry wait for the Mark V to be released in March.
Looks like it could be perfect for your needs (and mine :D).
If you can't wait then I think the Road King would be your best option now.
Followed by the Mark IV (if you can find one) and the Express 5:50. Both super versatile.
Having played both the Lonestar and the 5:50 there's really very little difference between the cleans in both amps IMO.
Cleans on both are equally great. The 5:50 has a lot more gain so would suit you better cause it's more versatile.
If you're gonna go the 2 amp route the 5:50 cleans will serve you just as well as the Lonestar, plus its lighter & cheaper.
Lugging 2 heavy Mesa amps to gigs will be a pain though if you don't have roadies.
Stiletto cleans don't match these other amps IMO so I'd put it last on your list if great cleans is a high priority. Great for high gain though.
If you're gonna use pedals I'd also get one with a Series loop. Or be prepared to get a parrallel loop amp mod'ed to Series.

OsirisProtocol said:
I want to be able to feel what I am playing and my amp feel it too based on how I'm playing. On my next go around I'll be sure to pay more attention to this aspect of the amps.

You just described the Mark series.

Newysurfer said:
Hey Osiris, <<<<<< corrected :D
Followed by the Mark IV (if you can find one) and the Express 5:50. Both super versatile.
Having played both the Lonestar and the 5:50 there's really very little difference between the cleans in both amps IMO.
Cleans on both are equally great. The 5:50 has a lot more gain so would suit you better cause it's more versatile.
If you're gonna go the 2 amp route the 5:50 cleans will serve you just as well as the Lonestar, plus its lighter & cheaper.
Lugging 2 heavy Mesa amps to gigs will be a pain though if you don't have roadies.
Stiletto cleans don't match these other amps IMO so I'd put it last on your list if great cleans is a high priority. Great for high gain though.
If you're gonna use pedals I'd also get one with a Series loop. Or be prepared to get a parrallel loop amp mod'ed to Series.

I'm not in any hurry so I'll wait until I can try out a Mark V. With a purchase this big I want to give everything a fair chance.

I really want to love the Road King but I need to spend more time with it first. If I can brighten up channels 3 & 4 slightly and coax some slightly british sounding gain tones out of the the amp (maybe channel 2 with the EL34's would work). It really does sound like the best amp for me atm it's just missing a few things to make it nearly perfect for me.

Just my luck that I come across two Mark IV heads on craigslist here in NYC and I don't have the coin for them yet. If anyone else is interested I can send them the links so they can pick them up. As for the 5:50 I don't know if it will handle what I want on the gain side of things but its worth a shot for me. I'm actually thinking about picking it up if I do decide to get the Mark V. I figure with the revisions that have been added to the more modern Mesa's after their artists get some gig and tour time with them I can get a 5:50 which can work for what I want and buy a M5 when the revision is released. By then I'll either sell the 5:50 to help cut costs or keep it if I really love it enough. The Stiletto cleans that Timmons achieves I find to be amazing. They obviously aren't the same as a LS but still great in their own right and very usable for what I play just like the LS. It really does seem like it can be a great package amp for me at this point.

As for the effects loops I don't currently own any pedals. There are a few effects that I have my eye on and want to try out later on but that will come after the amp. I'll definitely mod the loop for series if it already isn't on whatever amp I get. I don't see any information on what type of loop the Mark V is though.

Elpelotero said:
OsirisProtocol said:
I want to be able to feel what I am playing and my amp feel it too based on how I'm playing. On my next go around I'll be sure to pay more attention to this aspect of the amps.

Makes the Mark IV and V look even better to me :wink:.

y'all have nailed all the amp descriptions right on ... i knew the reason for owning a LSC and a Mark III (or two) was right at my fingertips for explanation to wife ... of course, I have no need for most of the Stiletto tones - The RK is overkill for me - and i still am amazed at the MkIII through the Eminence MS-12 ... i know many of you love the EVM-12 - i like this more.

good luck. a lot of the older equipment is easier to dial in, and prices will fall dramatically (IMO) between the economic freefall and the MkV ... i like old used broken in stuff anyway. Goodwill is my friend.

OsirisProtocol said:
Newysurfer said:
Hey Osiris, <<<<<< corrected :D

I'm not in any hurry so I'll wait until I can try out a Mark V. With a purchase this big I want to give everything a fair chance.

I really want to love the Road King but I need to spend more time with it first. If I can brighten up channels 3 & 4 slightly and coax some slightly british sounding gain tones out of the the amp (maybe channel 2 with the EL34's would work). It really does sound like the best amp for me atm it's just missing a few things to make it nearly perfect for me.

Just my luck that I come across two Mark IV heads on craigslist here in NYC and I don't have the coin for them yet. If anyone else is interested I can send them the links so they can pick them up. As for the 5:50 I don't know if it will handle what I want on the gain side of things but its worth a shot for me. I'm actually thinking about picking it up if I do decide to get the Mark V. I figure with the revisions that have been added to the more modern Mesa's after their artists get some gig and tour time with them I can get a 5:50 which can work for what I want and buy a M5 when the revision is released. By then I'll either sell the 5:50 to help cut costs or keep it if I really love it enough. The Stiletto cleans that Timmons achieves I find to be amazing. They obviously aren't the same as a LS but still great in their own right and very usable for what I play just like the LS. It really does seem like it can be a great package amp for me at this point.

As for the effects loops I don't currently own any pedals. There are a few effects that I have my eye on and want to try out later on but that will come after the amp. I'll definitely mod the loop for series if it already isn't on whatever amp I get. I don't see any information on what type of loop the Mark V is though.

Elpelotero said:
OsirisProtocol said:

Makes the Mark IV and V look even better to me :wink:.
Mark IIs are all about feel.

O,

Im sorry but in your post you make mention of making tuition.

A Mark IV will cost you around 1500 dollars, as a student do you have that laying around to spend? Wait til you get out of college to get your dream amplifier.

I would recomend the Express 5:25, it will cover all the ground you want to cover with a minimum of fuss. I personally have a Mesa Subway Rocket which is kind of the predeccesor of the Express line. IT is a killer EL 84 based amp. Its very responsive to touch and does clean all the way to mean. Plus being a student it is very portable. I played on an Express lately and it is a killer little amp. Having the 5 watt option will allow you to play without an attenuator. I have a Weber Mass, works great, but its another $250. Ive used my Subway to play up to 250 seat clubs without a pa, in a bandroom practice situation it is loud enough. I will just add to go try an Express out, before you buy something. Mark IV are very finicky amps, the Express is a plug in and play type amp.

Maybe you are better off than I was in college cause I had to settle for used Peaveys. Your post is a great discusion of various amps, but your reality is what can you afford?

JW123 said:
A Mark IV will cost you around 1500 dollars, as a student do you have that laying around to spend? Wait til you get out of college to get your dream amplifier.
Here's one for under $1,250 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-1x12-Combo-Tube-Guitar-Amp-near-mnt_W0QQitemZ180322616769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180322616769&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Deals are there to be had, if you're patient. Expresses seem to for over $900 including shipping. If you can afford the extra $300 or so, I'd say go for it. You'll get alot for the extra few hundred.

rvschulz said:
y'all have nailed all the amp descriptions right on ... i knew the reason for owning a LSC and a Mark III (or two) was right at my fingertips for explanation to wife ... of course, I have no need for most of the Stiletto tones - The RK is overkill for me - and i still am amazed at the MkIII through the Eminence MS-12 ... i know many of you love the EVM-12 - i like this more.

good luck. a lot of the older equipment is easier to dial in, and prices will fall dramatically (IMO) between the economic freefall and the MkV ... i like old used broken in stuff anyway. Goodwill is my friend.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any of the older Mark series amps. At the moment I have no one to explain my gear purchases to other than my girlfriend of three years who is really understandable about it. I'll be sure to check into different cab and speaker combos. What is it about the MS=12 that really does it for you as opposed to the EVM-12?

dodger916 said:
Mark IIs are all about feel.

Sounds good to me. At the moment I am not sure of how the older Mark's (besides the IV) would suit me tone wise but at least I know they will respond well to my playing. I would venture to say think that these older amps are harder to get a hold of too.

JW123 said:
O,

Im sorry but in your post you make mention of making tuition.

I would recomend the Express 5:25, it will cover all the ground you want to cover with a minimum of fuss. I personally have a Mesa Subway Rocket which is kind of the predeccesor of the Express line. IT is a killer EL 84 based amp. Its very responsive to touch and does clean all the way to mean. Plus being a student it is very portable. I played on an Express lately and it is a killer little amp. Having the 5 watt option will allow you to play without an attenuator. I have a Weber Mass, works great, but its another $250. Ive used my Subway to play up to 250 seat clubs without a pa, in a bandroom practice situation it is loud enough. I will just add to go try an Express out, before you buy something. Mark IV are very finicky amps, the Express is a plug in and play type amp.

Maybe you are better off than I was in college cause I had to settle for used Peaveys. Your post is a great discusion of various amps, but your reality is what can you afford?

I'm in the process of saving for whatever amp I decide on getting. Tuition comes first obviously but I really don't mind dropping this type of coin on a new amp. Frankly I've been through alot of gear in these past few years and I feel it's time to cut the crap, stop the impulse buying and get what I really want. Truth is I'm broke just like most college students. Whatever cash I have that doesn't go to school or taking my girlfriend out when we have the time I spend on gear. I live a pretty simple life so music gear would be my only splurging vice I would think. As far as I am concerned I can afford whatever as long as I stick to saving which I never really had a problem doing, so it's just a matter of time and deciding if the amp isn't worth it. The economy in it's current state isn't really helping anyone either.

As for the Express amps they are in the running just like all the other amps now. Hell they seem like the most reasonable choice wattage wise for when I do use the amp at home and if they deliver what I want on the tonal end then I'm happy. I don't mind owning a more involved amp like a MKIV or something. I rather like the time consuming eq'ing it takes with some amps. The more sensitive and tweakable an amp is the more fun for me.

dodger916 said:
JW123 said:
Here's one for under $1,250 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-1x12-Combo-Tube-Guitar-Amp-near-mnt_W0QQitemZ180322616769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180322616769&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Deals are there to be had, if you're patient. Expresses seem to for over $900 including shipping. If you can afford the extra $300 or so, I'd say go for it. You'll get alot for the extra few hundred.

I've seen some great deals pop up over time. I'm sure that once I have everything in order cash wise and with some patience I'll get a good deal on a head so I don't mind the whole cash issue.

before you do anything, i strongly suggest you go try out a stiletto, especially deuce/trident head + 4x12.

I had a dual rec, it was great. I then got a mark iv, which was really great in a different way. Then I got a trident stage II and it is my favorite for sure. Its almost like a middle ground between a rectifier and a mark iv in my opinion. It has that modern power like the rectifier, but is real tight and singing like a mark.

I kind of play modern metal **** (lamb of god, machine head, **** like that) in my band and I play everything when I'm by myself and this amp does it all. It has no problem keeping up with the dual rec. My other guitarist has a roadster head and the two together sound fucking brutal. the clean channel on this amp is second only to the lonestar. in terms of distortion, depending on how you eq it, it can be on the bright side. but, if you keep the presence/treble on the lower side you can get it to sound very bogner-ish almost. this amp can sound like a marshall (medium crunch), it can sound like a fender(cleans), and can sound like a rectifier, mark or like nothing else on the dirties. On fluid drive i don't put the gain past 11:00, there is so much. i also use emgs by the way.

i will try my best to post a clip tomorrow...before i go to the metallica concert! i recommend that before you buy anything, just test out the amp with one of your guitars.

rich said:
before you do anything, i strongly suggest you go try out a stiletto, especially deuce/trident head + 4x12.

I had a dual rec, it was great. I then got a mark iv, which was really great in a different way. Then I got a trident stage II and it is my favorite for sure. Its almost like a middle ground between a rectifier and a mark iv in my opinion. It has that modern power like the rectifier, but is real tight and singing like a mark.

I kind of play modern metal sh!t (lamb of god, machine head, sh!t like that) in my band and I play everything when I'm by myself and this amp does it all. It has no problem keeping up with the dual rec. My other guitarist has a roadster head and the two together sound f%&# brutal. the clean channel on this amp is second only to the lonestar. in terms of distortion, depending on how you eq it, it can be on the bright side. but, if you keep the presence/treble on the lower side you can get it to sound very bogner-ish almost. this amp can sound like a marshall (medium crunch), it can sound like a fender(cleans), and can sound like a rectifier, mark or like nothing else on the dirties. On fluid drive i don't put the gain past 11:00, there is so much. i also use emgs by the way.

i will try my best to post a clip tomorrow...before i go to the metallica concert! i recommend that before you buy anything, just test out the amp with one of your guitars.

So far I've tested out the Road King and the Lone Star along with some other Orange amps that I was considering. I didn't get to spend alot of time with each because I was on my way home from an out of state gig at the time and there were alot of amps in stock that were on my list and I wanted to atleast get a few minutes on each one. I'll be sure to try them out more along with the other amps.

Your description of the Stiletto is spot on to what I had in mind before what people told me about the amp. This is why its been inching closer to the top of my list lately. I'll definitely give this amp a try the next time I am out to the shops. Thanks alot for the information and I'm looking forward to whatever clip you an provide when you have the spare time.

Latest posts

Back