Mesa 5881s or other 6L6s in a Single-Recto Solo 50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEVEL4

Reaction score
Gonna change my power tubes in my Single-Recto Solo 50 head. Previous owner had JJ 6L6s, and I replaced them with some Ruby 6L6s out of my 6505, since the Recto's JJs went bad last week. I was thinking the Recto may be less "buzzy" with the Mesa 5881s. Opinions? Oh yeah . . . don't care about cleans at all. I like all types of metal sounds.

Hey! for metal, I'd go for the KT77's, gives the recto a much tighter feel for metal yet still retains the famous Mesa Girth. Check out a sound clip I recorded with my Single Recto in the thread called "single rectifier tone test" I posted recently.

Clip sounds GREAT! Where did you buy the KT77s, and what brand are they? What made you choose the KT77s over the 5881s or 6L6s? Also, which bias-switch position did you use for the KT77s in your Recto? Thanks!

The STR 425 5881 is noticeably warmer and mid-puchier than the 6L6 STR 430. They are definitely worth a try, and might cut some of the buzz.

I asked Doug about the JJ's and he said they run too cool and prefers the Ruby's...The KT77 will be my next pair to try for sure.
The pre amp set of 5 that he reccomends REALLY makes a beast out of the Recto imho. I wouldn't own one with out them.

If the amp sounds 'buzzy' it's not likely to be the power tubes. Mine has the std Russian 2's and STR440's and only sounds slightly buzzy at low volume, anything over 4.5 on the output and it sings !! (Vintage mode, keep the master on 3.5 and the gain on about 5 !!) If that sounds buzzy it's your preamp tubes, tone settings or your guitar !! :D

SydMark11 said:
I asked Doug about the JJ's and he said they run too cool and prefers the Ruby's...The KT77 will be my next pair to try for sure . . .
Well, I had JJs in my Recto, and when they went bad, I put in some Rubys. If anything, the Rubys sounded MORE buzzy. Either that, or they sound EXACTLY the same! Looks like I may give the KT77s a try as well. Would still like to hear more feedback from the others here, about their feelings on the 5881s vs. the 6L6s, though.

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
If the amp sounds 'buzzy' it's not likely to be the power tubes . . .
Well, brand new Rectos with stock Mesa tubes sounded buzzy to me in the store as well. Especially when A/B'd against a totally non-buzzy amp like my Mark IV or DC-3. But there's a very fine line between "buzzy" and "bite." I bought the Recto BECAUSE of its "buzzy-bite!" The Recto can put out a "bite" that the Mark IV simply can't.

LEVEL4 said:
Clip sounds GREAT! Where did you buy the KT77s, and what brand are they? What made you choose the KT77s over the 5881s or 6L6s? Also, which bias-switch position did you use for the KT77s in your Recto? Thanks!

Thanks! I got the JJ KT77's from Eurotube and they are EL34 tubes. The El34 tubes makes the recto tighter and gives it more "crunch" compare to the 6l6s (better for palm mutes). The KT77s are kind of like a hybrid, you have the low end of the 6l6s but the tightness and crunch of the EL34s. Also, strongly strongly suggest Doug's rectifer cocktail of preamp tubes, made a huge impact on making my sound tighter. Also a EQ in the loop is a must for metal IMO, kill all frequencies below 80Hz, boost 125Hz, and lower 250Hz. Good luck dude!

Back