Mesa .50 Caliber FX loop with M13 4CM

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdennis

Reaction score
O.K. so this is strange to me. I have been real careful to match my tubes and pick specific preamp tubes. For this amp (it is not a plus) I am using the third set of Mesa EL84 (yellow) tubes since August of 2009. When I got this recent set about a month or so ago I was just using it without anything in the loop as I found that using the Boss 7 band EQ would "seem" to stress the power tubes, so ...
Two weeks ago I setup the Mark III and the .50 Cal in stereo using the 4 cable method on my M13 FX unit. It seemed well balanced for the one Sunday I used it like this. Then the following Tuesday during rehearsal I had to really increase the volume to match the Mark III level. Then yesterday one week from the first day I ran this setup I had to turn the volume back down to match the Mark and I did make sure the Mark wasn't getting louder then softer as the actual problem. Also before I turned it down, after letting the amps warm up for about 15 minutes (this is just my way) before taking them off standby, I started strumming my guitar rather harshly to see if something would "shake loose" so to speak. Well all of a sudden, after still being set at the Tuesday volume AND having them both leveled the way I wanted for Tuesday, the .50 Caliber seemed to crackle then come alive again which is when I reset the volume back down (not to the original settings I had the intial Sunday but close). I was hoping someone here might have a thought or two about why this might happen (grid resistors, the tubes themselves, ???). :cry:

Also, I do have farely new cables (two bought a week and a half ago, two bought three months ago, and the rest about 6 months old).

Anyway, there you have it :?:

Dennis

So does anyone have thoughts on what might have happened? Maybe it was just a cable problem?

I hooked it up again Sunday (yesterday) the same way with the addition of the HD 400 hum eliminator at the input jacks. No problems. It was at it's normal setting and both the Mark III and the .50 Caliber sounded outstanding. Gremlins :?: :wink:

Dennis

Latest posts

Back