Mesa 50/50..got one? Does the power tranny make some noise?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
I just received a 50/50 power amp yesterday and it sounds fine. I had to do a quick repair of R102 and R103 (these are for the 6.3V heater supply) but other than that it looks very sound inside.

I do notice that the power tranny is much more noisy than I am used to. Maybe this is normal? I have a 100volt to 120volt converter that I use but when I plug into the wall (100volt) the power tranny is dead silent.

It is not blaringly loud but it is noticable especially compared to the 290 or 20/20. I would say the tranny is as loud as the fan or maybe a little bit louder.

I have the more recent model with the "deep" mod i guess as it has a transformer choke.

Greg

I shall test mine when it arrives this week. Mine is a UK spec one though so I wont requre a transformer.

Hey Greg,
I just replied to your post about the GSP over at HRI, but to answer this question, in a word yes. My 50/50 power transformer is louder then most amps. I don't know why, but it is.

Ok. I was just worried that my power had been abused/neglected and that's why it was noisy. Well I fixed the resistors so now the amp functions 100% again. In the coming weeks I will test it out more fully.

Greg

Latest posts

Back