Mesa 5:50 Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pundix

Reaction score
Greetings,

Has anyone here gotten their hands on one of these to try out yet? If so how are they? I'm really interested in giving one a test drive (maybe a replacement for my old MKIV), but there don't seem to be any in the shops here.

Thanks,

I got a hold of the 550 earily last month. My opion does not mean much though this is my first Mesa purchase so I do not have much to compare it to. I up graded from a Crate 65 watt combo and I am sure as you can imagine it is a huge improvement. I lot of people have been posting about the Express though just dig around a bit I am sure you'll find what your looking for.

Guitarist magazine in the UK just published a comprehensive review of both the 5:50 and 5:25, giving the 5:50 one of the elusive gold seals of approval. The disc that ships with the mag has sound samples.

Hi Pundix, I ended up getting an Express 5:50 1x12 at the beginning of February, and everytime I play it I'm thankful that I made the decision to get it! The clean channel is just a beautiful sound, and add the tube-driven reverb and the contour control and there are a nice range of tones available. Crossing over to the gain channel, you will not be disappointed. You can get a nice creamy crunch or a liquidy lead-sustain. In my opinion, the voicing is blues through classic and modern rock. It does not really do the Recto thing, and it does not sound like a Mark either (certainly not the clean channel!). Finally, it is a small amp, so if size is a consideration then that might help you to decide. I have been playing for 30 years and feel that besides my instruments, this is the best investment that I've made in my sound.

Cheers,

Richt :D

I played one this past week-end and I agree with what everyone has said - very nice clean channel and an equally effective overdrive. No it isn't a Recto tone/sound, but still quite useful for blues and classic rock, maybe even some
80's era hair metal (in conjunction with the contour). One reason I didn't buy it this week-end was that it seemed that the clean master didn't get any grossly louder past 1-2 o'clock. Weird. If it came in a 100 package, it might have been a stronger contender for me. Nonetheless, it's a great sounding amp on its own.

mdortona said:
...One reason I didn't buy it this week-end was that it seemed that the clean master didn't get any grossly louder past 1-2 o'clock...

This is my experience too, except on mine 12 o'clock is where the master tops out. However, the clean mode's gain is such that I have not been able to overdrive it, so if you have the master at 12 o'clock and the clean gain at 2 o'clock, this should be earsplitting. I can't use mine that loud without wanting to wear earplugs; and IMO that is too loud and is well past where you would be mic'ed on stage. The gain channel behaviour is the same, but with some overdrive happening and the master at 12 o'clock, it is a touch louder than the clean channel. Still plenty loud!

Cheers,

Richt

Glad to hear it wasn't just me Rich. Should've played around more with the gain (duh!). However, this weekend, I confess, I was on a mission to get a Roadster, which I got (but I wouldn't mind having a 5:50 either). 8)

mdortona said:
However, this weekend, I confess, I was on a mission to get a Roadster, which I got...

Wow, that's great Matt! The Roadster is sweet! I took some time and tried that out before the Express came in and it sounded great too!
Once you get that dialed in, I don't think you'll miss the Express much :D

Enjoy!

Rich

:D

mdortona said:
Glad to hear it wasn't just me Rich. Should've played around more with the gain (duh!). However, this weekend, I confess, I was on a mission to get a Roadster, which I got (but I wouldn't mind having a 5:50 either). 8)

I've had a 5:50 now going on 3 weeks...and must say it is insanely loud at 12 noon and gets even louder up to about 2 - 3 O'Clock.

Add a boost in front or in the loop and the audience's ears will bleed. :shock:

Yee Haa... just got word that my 5:50 1x12 is waiting for me at the store! Now I just have to figure out how to get there and pick it up! Then there's the matter of installing my EV 12L ....... :twisted:

I had one for a week. Wasn't for me. I took it back for an F-50.

Summary: Awesome cleans/reverb, Nice "rock" Overdrive. Not really an amp for heavy sounds IMO. The F-50 does that better at the expense of a lesser (but still nice) clean channel and weak reverb (Reverb is not a priority for me).

The extra features were cool (Notably adjustable contour), but I didn't need them.

If you're more a fender cleans and classic rock to 80's rock (NOT METAL) kinda guy, I'd think the express is a good fit. Though similar, it's still totally different from the F-series. Not better/worse just different.

See my other posts if you'd like more in depth than that, I don't want to poo on the thread.

Latest posts

Back