Mesa 3/4 Back 2x12 cab - any love?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djw

Reaction score
I'm talking about this one:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/ThreeQuarterCABS/TQ-2x12-LG.htm

I've played with the 3/4 1x12, and I thought it sounded amazing... but it was bigger than I needed at the time, so I unloaded it.

Now I'm thinking about the 2x12, but wondering if it has the huge thump of the 1x12. That sounds like a stupid question, but there are two things that make me ask this:

1. I know that many people feel the LSC 1x12 combo seems to project more and have more dimension tonally that the 2x12 combo. There seems to be some comb phasing issue that's particular to that cab/speaker/amp layout. So I wonder about this.

2. The 3/4 2x12 is actually a couple of inches shorter than the 3/4 1x12 (and half an inch deeper).

So maybe I'm putting too much stock in the dimensional magic of the 1x12, but that cab has a special, massive sound. Does the 2x12 have it too?

The 3/4-back 2x12 was my main cab for several years, for both home and gigging use. While the semi-open back gives the cab a lot of spread (as I'm sure you know), I wouldn't necessarily characterize the cab by its low end response/thump. I always considered it more of a scooped, smooth sounding cab. It doesn't have nearly the same low end or directionality of, say, a Recto cabinet.

Granted, if you like C90s then you probably can't go wrong. It's quite a light, giggable cab that agrees with many amps.

Thanks for the reply snave, and thanks for the great description. Have you ever had a chance to compare the 2x12 to the 1x12?

I've unfortunately never played the 1x12, so I can't make a comparison.

Latest posts

Back