Mesa 2x12 recto cab vs. 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
Thinking i'm ready for a mesa cab.
Just thought i'd ask, any difference in sound between the 2x12 and 4x12?
Reccommendations?
How bout vertical 2x12 vs horizontal 2x12....
Post some experiences/comments.

Open back to closed back is definitely a difference that you will just have to hear for yourself. Closed backs just sound like more in a 4x12. The vertical 2x12 has an angled top so you will get more dispersion and a horizontal will take your feet off at the ankles. If you don't need a 4x12 get a 2x12. Just listen to them because it will be your ears that have to be satisfied in the end. Speaker selection will also modify the sound. You really gotta go try the cabs with every speaker option to know and even A/B the cabs.

i have both right now, here is the difference, the 2x12 does not have as much bass as the 4x12, however it is tighter and has plenty. The 2x12 also has alot more mid's since it is a small enclosure. Both my cabs are closed back and the 2x12 i have is the normal recto cab.

I used some 2x12 cabs to record with back in 1990, and liked them that much I tried them live. I haven't used a quad since. The sound is tighter and more articulate, and there isn't a Boogie on the planet that can't make up for lost bottom end. :D

My back is a lot happier too, now that I don't usually have the luxury of a road crew. :wink:

For live playing, I just love the fury of a 4x12.

I've never given a Mesa 2x12 a fair run though.

I believe you are the one that went from the avatar to a oversized recto and loved it, if you are the one then you would be disappointed in the 2x12, alot like a traditional, but more mids with a little less bass.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
For live playing, I just love the fury of a 4x12.

I've never given a Mesa 2x12 a fair run though.

bsideexperiment said:
Thinking i'm ready for a mesa cab.
Just thought i'd ask, any difference in sound between the 2x12 and 4x12?
Reccommendations?
How bout vertical 2x12 vs horizontal 2x12....
Post some experiences/comments.

Theres something magical about the 4x12 cab. best move i ever made for my rig. I own the 2x12 as well but it just doesnt do the same thing to my ears .

Back