Mesa 2 channels DR vs Uberschall/Power Ball/Krankenstein

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could do the tests because my friend is searching for "the tone" to reamp the guitars on his band's new cd and he bought the 3 amps/cabs to compare and choose wich one he likes the most. Im the one who brought the DR. Now that we did the tests i believe he will only keep the Uberschall and i know he is now looking for a pre-500 DR. ha ha !!!!

It was bought new about 6 mounths ago so i suppose it is the blue, but i'm not an expert, i don't know much about the Uberschall, maybe some other guys on the forum would know better about it. But for sure it is the last revesion they made, when my friend bought it the store had just received it.

Great review, but why run a distortion pedal in front of these high gain amps? Were you just boosting with the pedal or using the distortion into them? If you are going to compare the amps for what they really are, you should plug straight in.

I own DR #654 Rev F w/pre 500 trannies and an Uberschall Rev 2. I would have to say the Uberschall is a "smoothed over" DR. And the Uberschall is fuller/thicker on the bottom end and more compressed, not quite so scooped sounding. If I had to choose between them, the Uberschall would be the one that I would take to a gig. And that's not an easy decision for me because I really like my DR.

Core9, you have a nice arsenal going on there!! Never a dull moment in your house, eh? What cabs are ya using?

Machine Gun said:
Core9, you have a nice arsenal going on there!! Never a dull moment in your house, eh? What cabs are ya using?
I've been playing for 25 yrs, so it's hard to get rid of good gear.

Currently own;
1x Mesa C90 2x12 open-back cab (Red Croc leather w/black grille)
1x Mesa Recto V30 2x12 (Red Croc leather w/black grille)
2x Mesa Recto V30 4x12 (oversized, old Blue Taurus, looks almost blue-black it's so dark w/gold-black weave grilles)

2x Randall 2x12 Jaguar (carpet covered, diagnal speaker arrangement, almost like a 4x12 with 2 speakers missing)

BTW, interested in swapping that RK II for a RK I?

I guess I'll keep my RKII. I can't imagine being unhappy with an RKI though! :D

Good friend of mine has a Soldano SLO100 and he loves it! I have to try it out someday.

I've been playing for about 25 years too, and I got rid of alot of gear I wish I wouldn't have! Hindsight 20/20 :roll:

i have to say that a very very brutal amp is a mk III simlu in pentode.. the pentode adds so much more bottom chunk.. It's like a 5150 but so much better..

About the OD in front of the amps

i have tried them all with and without an OD. To play the kind of music i play i need more attack and tightness than those amps can give by themselves.

I use the OD this way
Gain= 0
tone = mid to max
level = mid to max

and i use a little less gain on the amp, to me it sound way better for Death, Thrash, core etc. all of the heavy stuff i play in my band. The OD doesn't add distortion, it just improves on the tone you already have with your amp

Since i've shown that trick to my friend he never uses any of its high gain amps without an OD

I also worked with many good engeneers to record albums and these guys also worked with some of the best producer in the world and most of them get their recording and live tones from high gain amps with an OD and noïse gate in front of the amp. I could give you many exemples of well known metal players who do that. Even Metallica used to use a tube screamer in front of their mesas

I know some people fimd it bizzare to use a pedal with such good amps but i'm telling you, you've got to try it, you'll be surprised. But you got to use it the righ way, don't add any distortion and use a noïse gate, it is impossible to play with this set up without a noïse gate because the amp becomes uncontrolable.

About the OD in front of the amps

i have tried them all with and without an OD. To play the kind of music i play i need more attack and tightness than those amps can give by themselves.

I use the OD this way
Gain= 0
tone = mid to max
level = mid to max

and i use a little less gain on the amp, to me it sound way better for Death, Thrash, core etc. all of the heavy stuff i play in my band. The OD doesn't add distortion, it just improves on the tone you already have with your amp

Since i've shown that trick to my friend he never uses any of its high gain amps without an OD

I also worked with many good engeneers to record albums and these guys also worked with some of the best producer in the world and most of them get their recording and live tones from high gain amps with an OD and noïse gate in front of the amp. I could give you many exemples of well known metal players who do that. Even Metallica used to use a tube screamer in front of their mesas

I know some people fimd it bizzare to use a pedal with such good amps but i'm telling you, you've got to try it, you'll be surprised. But you got to use it the righ way, don't add any distortion and use a noïse gate, it is impossible to play with this set up without a noïse gate because the amp becomes uncontrolable.

The TS9 Tubescreamer made me fall in love with my Mesa, OD's are great for any amp IMO when used and equalized properly.

Machine Gun said:
Good friend of mine has a Soldano SLO100 and he loves it! I have to try it out someday.
If it has the Depth mod and good tubes, you WILL love it!! Go try it NOW!! 8)

Back