Mercury Magnetics transformers for 295

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
Mercury Magnetics' website does not show OT's or PT's available for the 295, but that might simply be because the website hasn't been updated in a while. Based on some emails with Paul at MM, it appears as though output transformers are available as well as a power transformer.

I'm not so interested in the power transformer as I am the output transformers right now. Haven't got a price yet or 100% confirmation, but I'll post info when I get it.

My 295 was made in 1984 and will be requiring a cap job soon. Figured I would replace the OT's if possible while I had it in the shop.

Zodiac,

The trannies in there are already 26 years old. So are you saying that the ability of transformers to positively affect tone and dynamics doesn't diminish over time? Or perhaps, they do diminish in efficiency but that it's not detectable? So an ounce of prevention isn't worth a pound of cure?

It depends on the condition of the tranny. I'm not an expert, but I don't think an OT or PT should be replaced unless there is an issue. I just had my amp (26 year old mk IIC+)in to mesa factory for a cleaning, cap job, and some other stuff, and mike b. didn't even think of replacing a tranny. By all means, replace a tranny if you want, if it gives you peice of mind. If you have any mark series amps that you want to swap out a tranny or two, I'm sure you could get some money for a 25 yr old 105 tranny, or a IIC+ export tranny.

scott

I wouldn't really recommend replacing decent trannies like the 295 has. In any case, if MM doesn't already offer a suitable replacement, they will likely be willing to clone your transformer as a model. I believe members of the board have done this for other amps. They used to offer a discount for the trouble of sacrificing your original transformer.

Back