Matching STR-415s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freefall

Reaction score
About a year ago, I took a quad of STR415s out of an amp that had heavy cigarette smoke odor. Not thinking about it, I used Windex to clean the tubes and remove the smoke residue, which took off most of what was stamped on the tubes (like the Mesa logo and STR415 markings). I also managed to lose track of how the tubes were paired.

I'd like to try these tubes in my simul IIC+, and I have read that the red color group 6L6s are best in the outer sockets. I don't know how to tell what the color group is for any of these tubes, or how they were paired. Where on these vintage tubes is the color group indicated (I may have wiped it off)? If I need to have them tested, as I suspect I do, where would I go... an amp repair shop? Thanks!

Maybe I am wrong but, as far as I know, there was only one matching spec for the STR-415.
Green labels are older, blue ones are younger.

These tubes had green labeling (most of which was removed by the Windex). By one spec, do you mean that I don't have to worry about color groups? Would they be ok in the outer sockets of a IIC+ simul? (It was my understanding that only certain colors, like Red, are recommended with STR440s in these positions).

I would prefer that someone else comes up and confirms or rejects what I am saying.
For what I know, at that time, there was only one spec and those green STR-415 share the same spec.

However, if the 4 of them have been used different hours, this is another story.

I don't think mesa color codes were used at the time they were selling STR 415's (80's and early 90's) so it's my understanding that they are plug and play. If one goes down, just pop in another STR 415.

scott

Back