MARVK IV OHM Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcalabro

Reaction score
hi!

Noob question here.
On the markIV i have 4ohm 4ohm and 8ohm imputs. I read that if i want two cabinets i would hook each (two Mesas, both 8ohms) into both of the 4ohm inputs on the Head.

Now if i were to get a marshal cab .. where i see most have 4ohm and 16ohm.. where would hook into if i want both the marshal and the mesa cab? 4ohm to 4ohm? with the 8ohm Mesa Cab into the 4ohm as well?

sorry if im not explaining my situation correctly
thanks!

Run the 16 ohm Marshall jack into the 8 ohm jack on the Mark IV and run your 8 ohm Mesa cab into a 4 ohm jack. Just don't play too hard. The amp will run it but it is not the optimal setup. If your 16 ohm cab is greenbacks you really don't want to push it. This is what I was told by Mesa.

I run my Marshall cabs this way with either my combo speaker or with the Thiele style cabinet I have.

Sorry, I almost forgot... do not run your 4 ohm Marshall unless it is the only cab connected and it is running into one of the 4 ohm jacks. If you run your Marshall at 4 ohms into a 4 ohm jack and plug anything else in you are not providing enough of an ohm load for your amp and you will cause damage.

thanks a bunch russ!

another question along the same lines if you don't mind.
I now have a Recto cab and a Road King cab. The road king is @ 4ohms and the Recto @ 8ohms. Would i run the Recto into the 8ohm spot and the Road King into a 4 ohm spot? or both of them into a 4ohm spot? thanks

Running the two cabs would present an unacceptable load level on your amp. Run one or the other not both. You will be creating an ohm load that is below 4 ohms. The amp is not designed to run that low.

If your 4 ohm RK cab is a 2x12 then rewire it to 16 ohms. This way you can run it in the 8 ohm jack with your 8 ohm Recto cab in the 4 ohm jack.

Thanks!
Although, i am still extremely confused haha
not quite sure how this works :( the mark IV manual isn't much help
Yes the RK is 2x12 and the recto is a 2x12 as well
how would i go about rewiring that bad boy? just hand it over to a tech?

Well, the RK has 3 inputs.. the 4ohm A/B 8ohm A and the 8ohm B..
so it would be safe to go into just one of the 8ohms in the RK cab to the 4 ohm on the amp and at the same time sending the 8 ohm recto into a 4ohm as well?

Latest posts

Back