Marshall Tones from a Mark???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Bill

Reaction score
I know Mesa always claims that the R2 is supposed to cop the "brown sound" vibe of a Marshall.

Do you have a setting(s) for your Mark III or Mark IV that gets you close to the "Marshall" sound?

(And yes, I know, "Nothing sounds like a Marshall!") :roll: :roll: :roll:

Boogie Bill said:
Do you have a setting(s) for your Mark III or Mark IV that gets you close to the "Marshall" sound?
Hmm, I only have a Mark IIB 60w head, but used it in the past with an old Marshall cab which contributes a lot to the typical "Marshall sound" of course. So a closed 2x12 or 4x12 cab with Celestions will deliver that in my opinion, especially if you don't dial in too much "Boogie distortion" in the Lead channel, maybe even crank the Rhythm channel instead and only use that for some nice crunch sounds.

For example this german version of ZZ Top's "She don't love me..." was done that way with a Strat neck pickup:

http://home.arcor.de/hans-juergen.bardenhagen/sieliebt.mp3

This cover of David Lindley's "Mercury Blues" as well, but with a semi-acoustic Höfner Club 40 neck pickup:

http://home.arcor.de/hans-juergen.bardenhagen/gtiblues.mp3

Invest in a Ibanez Sonic Distortion Pedal. (SD9) Its a great pedal for Marshallizing any amp. I use mine with my Simul-Satellite and it sound great pushing the amp into overdrive with a clean bright edge.

iban-sd9-041125.jpg

A lot of the "Classic" Marshal sounds came from power tube overdrive, the preamps did not have much over drive. And a lot had some kind of overdrive before the preamp. EQ pedals, boot pedals and distortion/Fuzz pedals.

If you want to get in the ball park, you will need to use the EL34 combination, get the amp more in the cranked range, overdriving the power section and backing off on the preamp overdrive (which is a large part of the boogie sound) Putting pedals in front can help, but the goal is to get the overdrive in to the power amp section.

Nothing sounds like a Marshall...If u like Marshall tone get the Marshall amps.Not Boogies.

Maybe u can try slave the Mark 4/3 amp to a Marshall EL34 50/100 poweramp :idea:

Why not just get a Marshall if you want that tone. I spent years trying to avoid buying a Marshall for that tone. I finally figured out that you cannot get that sound without getting one. I now own 2 different Marshalls for two different types of tone. I have not been able to get my Mark IV to make the sounds of my JMP nor 800. I wouldn't personally waste the time trying either because I can just plug into those amps and be done. I would really suggest buying a Marshall f you want that sound. In fact, narrow down the Marshall tone you are seeking and buy that amp. There is no substitute for the real deal.

Keep in mind there is no one "Marshall sound". From the JTM45, the plexis, the metal face .... and on and on .... the "Marshall sound" evolved; just like the Boogies did.

Back