MarkV Footswitch Popping between channals?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATR1

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to fix popping when I switch channels. I have had my Mark V 2 weeks. I love this amp. Still trying to get past chan 1.
Thx

The only time I have ever experienced "popping" between channels was when I had selected 10W in any channel to 45W or 90W in any other channel. In other words....if you select all 3 channels to 10W...you should not experience any "popping" when footswitching between the channels. However, if you set Ch1 to 10W, Ch2 to 45 or 90W, Ch3 to 45 or 90W (for example) you should expect popping from the whichever channel is set to 10W compared to other channels that are set to either 45 or 90W.

If all of your channels are set to 10W......you will not experience the "popping" when switching between channels.

Alternately, you should not experience any "popping" while switching between channels as long as all of them are set to EITHER 45 or 90W in any combination. For example, Ch1 set to 45 or 90W, Ch2 set to 45 or 90W, Ch3 set to 45 or 90W.

The "popping" will only occur when switching between a channel set at 10W to any other channel set at 45 or 90W. This is clearly mentioned in the manual, but I have no idea which page.

BTW....While rehearsing with my band, I typically have all channels selected to 10W and I am able to achieve fantastic footswitchable sounds that cut through the mix. In other words....don't be shy from using the 10W option.....just be sure that all channels are selected to 10W in this case to ensure that you will not have popping between channels.

By all means....read the manual....and again, and again, etc. It is well written and provides very useful information for all owners to maximize their enjoyment of the V. IMO the V is not difficult to dial in, but it is helpful to read through the manual in its entirety and refer back to it from time to time to really understand the modes and it's awesome features.

Hope this helps.

MBJunkie said:
The only time I have ever experienced "popping" between channels was when I had selected 10W in any channel to 45W or 90W in any other channel. In other words....if you select all 3 channels to 10W...you should not experience any "popping" when footswitching between the channels. However, if you set Ch1 to 10W, Ch2 to 45 or 90W, Ch3 to 45 or 90W (for example) you should expect popping from the whichever channel is set to 10W compared to other channels that are set to either 45 or 90W.

If all of your channels are set to 10W......you will not experience the "popping" when switching between channels.

Alternately, you should not experience any "popping" while switching between channels as long as all of them are set to EITHER 45 or 90W in any combination. For example, Ch1 set to 45 or 90W, Ch2 set to 45 or 90W, Ch3 set to 45 or 90W.

The "popping" will only occur when switching between a channel set at 10W to any other channel set at 45 or 90W. This is clearly mentioned in the manual, but I have no idea which page.

BTW....While rehearsing with my band, I typically have all channels selected to 10W and I am able to achieve fantastic footswitchable sounds that cut through the mix. In other words....don't be shy from using the 10W option.....just be sure that all channels are selected to 10W in this case to ensure that you will not have popping between channels.

By all means....read the manual....and again, and again, etc. It is well written and provides very useful information for all owners to maximize their enjoyment of the V. IMO the V is not difficult to dial in, but it is helpful to read through the manual in its entirety and refer back to it from time to time to really understand the modes and it's awesome features.

Hope this helps.

That's great that you don't experience popping between channels except for going from 10 watts to another wattage. But clearly the OP does, as do I and a number of others that have posted about it before. Happens to me even if all channels are on the same wattage. And yes I've read the manual. It is intermittent and I haven't been able to figure out a pattern to it, although it seems to happen more when switching from channels 2 or 3 to channel 1. I'm wondering if it might have to do with the quality of the power in the room. Maybe trying a power conditioner might help, but I don't have access to one at the moment. But I tolerate the popping since when playing in a band setting, it isn't really noticeable to anyone but me, and you don't usually switch channels while recording anyway.

But if anyone figures out a pattern to when it happens and when it doesn't, please share your experiences.

I don't see where the OP mentions his power settings? There sure seems to be a lot of short tempers around here lately. I thought the reply post was a helpful one.

I'm sorry to hear that your amp pops regardless of power settings. Have you tried cycling through all the channels first while still in standby? That works for my Roadster.

My MKV will only pop when switching in/out of a 10W setting.

Dom

I am running @ 45watts all 3 channels and I also switch through all buttons on stand by mode that seems to help with my 5150 footswitch, but you are right happens when switching from 2 or 3 to 1 more. Also had a problem last week when I was getting ready to play a set. Amp would not make any sound when I swithed on stand by. All tubes were firing I could here switching from pedal, some white noise, even swithed to hard by pass strange..practiced at same setting couple of days before had to switch to acoustic to play set. After I went home checked preamp tubes. Everyone looked good. Fired her up and worked great? I have been trying to repeat problem. Now I am worried that I will have problem again... I can't get past channel 1 cause it sounds so freaken great never had a amp sound so bluesy now I just want to play SRV tunes and I am a metal head go figure.... Thx

Thanks domct203 for recognizing my post was only meant to be helpful. I thought the OP may have been switching channels with 10 in some and 45 or 90 in other channels. Clearly, the OP didn't initially specify what power settings he had selected, and I thought that his problem may have been as I mentioned. Especially, since the OP has only had his V for a couple of weeks.

I will offer one other suggestion to the OP, but first I would like to ask....do you own the combo or the head?

The only reason I mention this is that it seems that some of the "head" owners have experienced some problems with the footswitch. Honestly, I don't recall that the issue was "popping" as much as just not functioning properly. However, many head owners seemed to remedy whatever footswitching problems they had by securing the footswitch cable to the head....such that the weight of the cable did not cause stress to the footswitch cable jack on the head. If you own the V head you may try this.

Personally, I own the 1x12 combo and my footswitch has worked flawlessly since purchasing my amp over a year ago. The only time I have experienced any "popping" when switching between channels was when I had selected 10W in some channel(s) and either 45 or 90W in others. This is expected per the manual.

I hope this helps and best of luck sorting it out.

ATR1,

A couple of other things that you may try would be to reverse the ends of the footswitch cable (i.e. connect the end that is currently connected to your footswitch to the amp and vice versa). Several posters have done this with success.

If all else fails, disconnect your footswitch altogether and manually switch between channels while playing to see if you still experience the popping. If so, your footswitch/cable isn't the problem, but I feel this last scenario to be unlikely.

Cheers.

yeah im having that problem too! it happens when you first switch from channel one to two or three and then if you immediately switch between the channels constantly between the three there is no noise. but then if you play clean for like 5 or 10 minutes and try to switch back to 3 you get that annoying pop again, it makes me think theres a static buildup or a capacitor charging and discharging or something like that. What are the chances of a Mesa employee or tech chiming in on this? I realize the initial pop may be normal but the fact that it can switch channels without that sound there should be a way to stop it from happening.

Thx. Today I set all three channels the same disconnected footswitch and still had popping with manual switching in rear also after connecting footswitch cable in rear the amp started to make the switching sound real fast may have a bad cable?

but if you still got that sound with the footswitch disconnected it wouldnt have anything to do with the cable. i dont know my head just crapped out on me the other day.

Latest posts

Back