MarkIV = Unforgiving amp!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookslikemeband

Reaction score
Last night at practice, I decided to use my MarkIV to show it off to the bandmates.

Not only is it dripping with killer tone (and loves my pedals).... I must say it is VERY unforgiving.

You get sloppy - it announces it to the whole world! :oops:

It made me focus a lot more on my technique than I have in a while - which is a good thing!

I'm thinking it's only going to make me a better player.

That has to be my favorite thing about the Mark IV, when I plug into it, it lets my playing and tone come through, and when someone else tries to use it (thinking the amp is making me sound good) they instantly get that humble look on their face :D

I noticed that this past Sunday when I showed my Mark IV to the band mates! I was thinking, geez I really have to know what I am doing, otherwise it will stick out like a sore thumb! It sounded KILLER like you said as well... But, yes, very pure sound and unforgiving at that...

If the Mark IV exposes too much, you can always get a Peavey XXX to obliterate any resembalance to the "real" player in you! :D

this post made me just think of a great response to use for anyone who says that a Mark IV sucks or has no tone....... "the amp is just telling you that you suck".... great observation guys

HipKitty said:
If the Mark IV exposes too much, you can always get a Peavey XXX to obliterate any resembalance to the "real" player in you! :D

I just switched to a Mark IV from a XXX! I don't think it hides the 'real' player in you, but there is DEFINITELY a big difference...

The MKIV is the most awesome sounding amp on the planet, but it is uforgiving.

The up side is, your mistakes have great tone!!!!!

Scott

Now, I think it's the opposite. When I speed pick on a Mark IV, the notes are so much more vibrant, and just flow much easier than on a Rectifier. I feel like the Rectifier inhibits my ability to pick fast.

lookslikemeband said:
Not only is it dripping with killer tone (and loves my pedals).... I must say it is VERY unforgiving. You get sloppy - it announces it to the whole world! :oops:
You think an IV is unforgiving you should try an III. But both wonderful sounding amps!!

That's a side effect of all of the Mark series amps. It's just doing it's job by faithfully reproducing everything that goes into it.
I though the same thing when I got my Quad.

You guys really think it is unforgiving? I think that it is very easy to play and has great touch sensitivity...which make it forgiving to play.

Marks in general will require skill to play. Though, the mark IV is probably the most forgiving of the bunch. A I's, II's, and III's, especially II's and III's really have the ability to make you look horrible if you're not careful.

psychodave said:
You guys really think it is unforgiving? I think that it is very easy to play and has great touch sensitivity...which make it forgiving to play.

We are referring to the purity and clarity of the sound of the IV compared to other amps. It does not 'cover up' any notes that one might have missed. All notes ring out clear and true, even wrong ones! It is very easy to play and the touch sensitivity is amazing, but wrong notes tend to sing out rather than 'blend in'! That's a good thing, though.

Even my fiance, who is not a guitar player, described the amp as "letting the true sound of the guitar come through". I was blown away that she could make such an astute statement! That to me proved that my new amp was definitely different than any other.

In the end, it is a glorious amp with amazing tone and it forces even the best players to be conscious of the notes they are actually playing...

psychodave said:
Hey Dave
I think what everybody means or at least me..
The average Boogie the Mark series in particular responds so much to the dynamics of your picking, that it seems to freak out people playing them for the first time. They also get to hear all their picking mistakes in full glory. The feel of the amp can be so different from the majority of the amps out there. Allot of amps out there have this compressed sound out of them, it can be a very forgiving sound for sloppy playing. Especially now a days the modelers (pods and so on)are the in thing, they can sound pretty good under the right conditions but do not or shall I say respond very little to the dynamics of your playing. So someone use to playing a modeler and then jumps to a Boogie is usually freaked by the feel.

I’m like you as far as (touch or dynamics) love it, love it, I find anything else restricting.
John

Especially now a days the modelers (pods and so on)are the in thing, they can sound pretty good under the right conditions but do not or shall I say respond very little to the dynamics of your playing. So someone use to playing a modeler and then jumps to a Boogie is usually freaked by the feel.
[/quote]

Funny that you mention that. I just went from a Line 6 Flextone III to a Stiletto Ace. I bought the Ace the day of a gig and used it that night. I knew that the Line 6 compensated for my playing, but I didn't realize the extent until I played my 1st solo, and every one therafter. I felt like the amp sounded great but I couldn't play.

After playing through a modler for 3 years, it took about 6 weeks for me to adjust to the Ace. It was a HUGE adjustment. Wheh I bought it, I thought that I would automatically sound better. It took a littel work

I play through a Mark III and I have no problems with sloppiness at all, everything is sounding clean and tight. So maybe my technique is getting good (or my ears are getting bad) ..but this thread really made me feel good about myself...lol ;)
now please don't burst my bubble. :lol:

Latest posts

Back