MarkIIC combo: Vintage 30 or celestion custom 90 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djemass

Reaction score
HI,

I have bought a MarkIIC combo equipped with an Altec12'. I would like to change the Altec to get a more Petrucci-like tone.

Which speaker could you recommend me: Vintage 30 or Cutom 90 ?

BR

djemass

i don't think the V30 will work well because its power rating is below the power rating of the amp. you may blow the speaker if you crank it really loud.

Elpelotero said:
i don't think the V30 will work well because its power rating is below the power rating of the amp. you may blow the speaker if
you crank it really loud.

Thanks

Do you think Custom 90 would work fine ?

BR

djemass

it should off memory....Have you looked into other speaker brands? The Marks were all about EV 12L speakers back in the day.

gts said:
Elpelotero said:
it should off memory....Have you looked into other speaker brands? The Marks were all about EV 12L speakers back in the day.

True but the EVM 12L was an upgrade they came Stock with the Mesa Black Shadow. Pretty sure it was a 90 watt speaker.

djemass - the EVM 12L has a 200 w rating - a very clean sounding speaker. theory being you hear the amps tonality thus not anything due to say the speaker breaking up.

My IIC| came stock with a Black Shadow speaker that was rated at 150W (possibly Eminence OEM), according to the sales brochure at the time (The 200-watt EV12L speaker was available as extra cost).

IIRC, Mesa did not start fitting 90W Black Shadow (Celestion OEM) speakers on Mark series amps until the start of Mark IV.

I'd recommend headshelling the thing and using an external cab. I don't like the way the combos sound at all. Might want to consider using a 2x12 or something. I've tried using different speakers in the combos and think the combos sound too "boxy" regardless of speaker.

Whatever you do keep the Altec speaker as it will probably be worth some money one day. They are getting rarer as time goes on.

My suggestion is to load the Mark with an EVM 12L and then get a closed back 112 to round out the sound.

Greg

I would run one EVM-12L in the combo and one in a Thiele.... Oh wait, I am running that setup with my Mark IV. :D

Russ did your combo come with the EV or did you add it? Reason being is because the Mark IV widebody I bought comes with the C90 and I probably will want to replace it with an EV. I know I have to front mount the EV but I don't know if the grill cloth is removable so one can access the baffle. Can the grill cloth be removed so I can front mount an EV?

Greg

The EV alternative was the Mesa Labeled MS-12. It was a 150W Eminence and had the goofy knight on a horse label. It's an awesome speaker and is a bit smoother and darker than the EV. I believe it was Mesa's attempt at replacing the 12L with a more cost effective speaker, but it never panned out. The EV-12L made it through for quite a long time after.

You can remove the 4 screws from the grill and it basically comes right off. Then you can mount the EV with ease. I usually back the screws out half way and use them as handles.

I captured an MS-12 Black Shadow to put in my Fender super 60 combo and it does sound real nice. It sorta resembles an EVM 12S but with a stamped frame. It appears to even have the EV 12S cone and voice coil. The 12S is a more shallow cone than the 12L and is just a little less efficient. It was a good alternative since the 12L would not fit inside the super 60 (Rivera Boogie clone) and those stock Fender drivers suck major a**.

Boogiebabies said:
The EV alternative was the Mesa Labeled MS-12. It was a 150W Eminence and had the goofy knight on a horse label. It's an awesome speaker and is a bit smoother and darker than the EV. I believe it was Mesa's attempt at replacing the 12L with a more cost effective speaker, but it never panned out. The EV-12L made it through for quite a long time after.

I never knew the sotry behind the Black Shadow speakers and why Mesa switched their Black Shadow line from 150W to 90W Celestions. But man, that 150W Balck Shadow speaker sounds great with my IIC|, rounded and dark indeed. I was never really bothered to find out if the EV-12L would sound better on it (I was told it would sound brighter), but I wouldn't mind having a spare. Mine is over 20 years old, after all.

Restless Rocks said:
I captured an MS-12 Black Shadow to put in my Fender super 60 combo and it does sound real nice. It sorta resembles an EVM 12S but with a stamped frame. It appears to even have the EV 12S cone and voice coil. The 12S is a more shallow cone than the 12L and is just a little less efficient. It was a good alternative since the 12L would not fit inside the super 60 (Rivera Boogie clone) and those stock Fender drivers suck major a**.

Have you tried the JBL's?

Latest posts

Back