MARK V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it once before and I will say it again.....No Mark V please?...and if there has to be one, let it not sound anything like the Mark IV.....

.....cause I just bought my IV :wink:

NuSkoolTone said:
Barry said:
The contour bit is coming from the Express amps . Everyone be patient , you will be rewarded

Ha! I thought the Contour feature was OK for Mesa's entry level (IMO) amps (F-Series, Express), but on one of the FLAGSHIPS? Puh-lease! Give me the GEQ and I can make my own "Contour". I HATE being boxed into a preset. If it's a contour in ADDITION to the GEQ fine. Individual controls: that's a given I'd say.

Guess we shall see. If there's any truth to these rumors I feel pretty sure Mesa wouldn't mess with their Legacy. And let's face it, the Mark series is what started it all.

Wouldn't it be cool if it had the Express clean (Which I prefer over the LSC), Tite Gain type sound on Channel 2, and the Mark IIC+/IV lead on Channel 3? Maybe even a switchable Mid Gain for soloing. Ah to dream.....

No matter, I still love my Mark IV!
As Mesa learns from their own R&D they always incorporate the best bits in the amps to follow . I think the plan is to have the Express cleans in there somewhere . They start off with a plan but some things that look good on paper may not make it to the end result

Express cleans? Contour knob? Why is the Mark V turning into the Express 2? Why would you need contour and GEQ if the Contour knob is essentially the GEQ with less customization options in one little knob? I don't own and never have owned a Mark, know only a little about them. Maybe they'll use new tubes and make it a super lead amp? More push pull knob **** and better recording out? Progressive linkage would be nice.

it is definately not going to have progressive linkage. I believe with something that nice, it would've been told. However, if you're thinking of getting a Mark IV, wait a month or two.

Let's use clues to get to our conclusions: what are the growing music trends? What are past Mesa technologies that people revered that aren't used as much? What are great tubes that Mesa hasn't experimented with?

I can't speak to the Mark V, but when Mesa announces a new amp at NAMM, it usually takes a couple of months before they start rolling out the new model.

With the Express, however, they were in pre-production at the factory before they announced them at NAMM so they were ready to ship right afterwards. That was what I was told by my dealer at least.

Speaking of which, I was just talking to my dealer last week and I was asking about NAMM. He said, per his Mesa rep, that they were not going to release anything new this year. Could be a conflicting story. We'll just have to wait and see what rolls out, if anything, in a couple of weeks....

G.I.G. said:
I can't speak to the Mark V, but when Mesa announces a new amp at NAMM, it usually takes a couple of months before they start rolling out the new model.

With the Express, however, they were in pre-production at the factory before they announced them at NAMM so they were ready to ship right afterwards. That was what I was told by my dealer at least.

Speaking of which, I was just talking to my dealer last week and I was asking about NAMM. He said, per his Mesa rep, that they were not going to release anything new this year. Could be a conflicting story. We'll just have to wait and see what rolls out, if anything, in a couple of weeks....

I think you are correct . They have it in the R&D oven but dont think its ready yet . There may be some prototype but I have feeling it will come out later in the year . The mark amp is what launched Mesa, they are going to get it right before they release it . Having said that, they usually do some updates the year after they release a new amp . They listen to feedback . They may not respond but they are listening .

If the contour knob is with the GEQ, that would be sweet. If no GEQ, that would suck so much. I also hope they keep simual class. And why does everyone want progressive linkage? That would make the amp really expensive.

Also I would like the 3rd channel to be original. A mark V trademark channel. I also must be one of the ones that hates the R2 channel in the Mark III and IV, so would rather that 2nd channel be based on a Mark IIC+ or III lead instead of a wimpy marshall. As for the clean, screw express, give me mark clean.

rabies said:
Jarrod said:
instead of a wimpy marshall.

yeah listen to Ministry (older stuff), sepultura (older stuff) or godflesh, nin, filter, smashing pumpkins, slayer, rage, tool etc.

Let me clarify. :roll:

The R2 channel on the III is based on a plexie. It's soppose to get you dirty rock n roll tones, but IMHO, rolling back the lead drive or the volume knob on the guitar in the lead channel does a much better job. Which is why I say make the 2nd channel a Mark IIC+.

Lonestar Clean R1, LoneStar Drive R2, Mark IV R3 would make me very happy, as long as it's still available in the shorthead format. That said, the IV is still a pretty kicking amp, and I'm finding that R2 bumped with a BB preamp is pretty righteous for Marshally type stuff.

sbalderrama said:
Lonestar Clean R1, LoneStar Drive R2, Mark IV R3 would make me very happy, as long as it's still available in the shorthead format. That said, the IV is still a pretty kicking amp, and I'm finding that R2 bumped with a BB preamp is pretty righteous for Marshally type stuff.

Let's go ahead and call it the lonestar then. I say make all three channels Mark.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought the lead preamp back to IIC+ spec, and tweaked the plate voltages to get them back to IIC+ voltages, to tap into the big $ in the IIC+ vintage market.

Then again, I can also see Mesa not looking backwards.

If the Mark V comes with a blackface-ish clean, a stiletto sounding R2, and a IIC+ lead, I'd sell my IV in a heartbeat.

Hey, I'd even be happy with a 2 channel Mark, with just a really refined clean and a mark lead sound. I sure do notice quite a difference when I plug into my Fuch's clean channel. It makes the Mark clean channel sound like cardboard. It's still better than most other high gain amps clean channels, though.

clutch71 said:
Just out of curiosity, does Mesa have a time frame when new equipment comes out? Winter Namm?

I remember Harley's new bikes always came out around July/August time frame. Just wondered if it was the same with Mesa?

I don't know..but I always say that crankin' my mesa up is kinda like startin' a harley indoors!

It's better to say you "heard a rumor" than to implicate a specific employee at the Mesa store; you could get his *** put in a sling.

The Mark series were always ahead of the curve in every regard. The trouble is that Mesa has an overly-diversified product lineup, imho; I hope they don't fall into the same trap that Daimler/Chrysler did.

If they do produce another Mark, then I hope it follows the standard set by the prior amps, but with improvements such as truly independant channels, a fatter lead or rythym channel, and a more simplified control layout via a redesigned chassis. But I'm pickig nits here- the MKIV is still an amazing amp by today's standards; it just needs a minor refresh.

I can't see the cleans being much improved over the MKIV's, which is essentially a slightly modified Twin Reverbs's 85 watt power section grafted onto the Boogie preamp. If anyone has ever played the MKIV through some nice celestions, you'll know what I mean! The V30s and other speakers just kill the cleans- but they work wonders with the distortion, imho.

Honestly, as far as pushing the envelope of tone, what else is left to uncover or happen upon? You can only have so much gain, right? How many more speaker/cab designs haven't been discovered yet? What's the new sound going to be like? I can only imagine guitarists returning to mid-gain tones now, as the market has been flooded with ultra-saturated tones for the past 10-15 years- and that's not a bad thing at all.

I'd like the next Mesa flagship to have Recto saturation with MK tightness- without having to boost the input. What would you guys like to see?

fdesalvo said:
I'd like the next Mesa flagship to have Recto saturation with MK tightness- without having to boost the input. What would you guys like to see?

that'd be the ticket right there. With all the cremosity of the C+

That's some cool news, however, I will also only believe it when I see it.

As for me, if it had the Recto saturation and the Mark tightness, I'd most certainly give it a shot. I'd like to see all independent controls, with a GEQ. Progressive Linkage would just be too much I think. Definitely keep Simul-Class.

Hows about a Mark "Roadster" 1 - super mark clean; 2 - mark lead channel for rythym (ie a c+ or IV's current lead) 3 - that channel dupilicated to get the awesome solo sound :) so one wouldnt need 2 seperate heads, or have to compromise on deciding between the solo/rythym sounds.

i dont think id need a 4th channel. but an assignable effects loop or wattages (simulclass) for each channel would be cool too. reverb for each channel? i also think that bold/spongy (tweed) setting should be made assignable to each channel... (on all amps)

dmcguitar said:
Hows about a Mark "Roadster" 1 - super mark clean; 2 - mark lead channel for rythym (ie a c+ or IV's current lead) 3 - that channel dupilicated to get the awesome solo sound :) so one wouldnt need 2 seperate heads, or have to compromise on deciding between the solo/rythym sounds.

+1

stevehollx said:
I sure do notice quite a difference when I plug into my Fuch's clean channel. It makes the Mark clean channel sound like cardboard. It's still better than most other high gain amps clean channels, though.

Hmmm...I don't get the Fuch's thing...my local mom & pop music store carries these and I have not been awe'd by their tone.....With all the hype (and cost) I expect a whole lot more.

IMHO the LSC cleans and the Mark IV cleans sound better to my ears than any of the Fuchs I tried in the store (and they carry alot of the models from the prouct line).

I guess to each their own.

The only other amp that I've lust after it is the Bogner Shiva. That is one fine fine amp.

Latest posts

Back