Mark V woes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Loudness

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've owned my Mark V head since March of 2011, and I'm definitely a fan of the tones that it offers and the flexibility of each channel. However, I'm starting to become convinced that I got a lemon, and I'm simply curious as to whether anyone else on the board has had the following happen to their amp:

1. At a gig recently, my clean channel essentially died mid-gig. It was later proven that the V3 tube blew and took out a solder connection with it.

2. After it came back from getting that checked out, I noticed a lot of static and background noise appearing on channel one (clean) of the amp, regardless of whether a cable or the footswitch was plugged in. I replicated this problem at my local L&M with a different cabinet and other cables, so it's not an issue with my home. I took it into L&M for service and the tech replaced all of the preamp tubes. I got the amp back, and upon inspection, the noise is back but on both channel one (clean) and channel two (crunch). As I stated, it's not an issue with my cables or place of playing, and now that the preamp tubes have been changed I can rule that out. Anyone else had similar issues, and if so how were they resolved?

Thanks folks!

Will.

jmontgomery said:
I'd take it back to the tech that repaired the solder connection and have him check his repair.
He's had the amp back since, because I sent it back a second time once I noticed the noise issue. Either way, I'll be contacting Boogie within the week... gonna have to sort something out soon.

W.

Sorry to hear your problems, man. Both of mine I have owned (one when they first came out, sold it, and came back recently) have been rock solid.

Only time I had problems with mine, was using power and preamp tubes not mesa branded. The preamp tubes were labled high gain low noise, but they didnt work out. Im gonna stick with mesa tubes here on out(in mesa amps that is).

I don't gig out anymore, so I can't really say how durable the MKV is. I gigged out with my MK II amps for years and years with no problems. This is what I did.

1. I bought heavy duty flight cases for each MKII. The cases had thick foam rubber padding on all sides of the case. Bouncing around in the back of a car or van can loosen things up inside of the amp. Banging a fairly heavy amp head around while carrying it can also loosen things up inside of the amp. The tubes being jostled can cause defections as well, especially if they are still warm.

2. I changed my tubes once a year whether they needed it or not. I know your amp wasn't old enough for a tube change. Your tubes should have been good.

3. I always followed the manual protocol when turning on and off the amps. I would keep the amps in standby for a minute or so before hitting the power. I would give the amps a few seconds in standby before switching the amp off.

Who knows what the tech did. I would take it back and have him go over it.

primeholy said:
Only time I had problems with mine, was using power and preamp tubes not mesa branded. The preamp tubes were labled high gain low noise, but they didnt work out. Im gonna stick with mesa tubes here on out(in mesa amps that is).
I'm a DR owner who has also decided to stick with Mesa tubes after niggling problems while using well known alternatives. Mesa tech said stick with Mesa tubes to get best reliability.

UPDATE:

I had the techs contact Mesa, and apparently the problem warrants getting a brand new amp! I'm very excited to say the least, and if this is an indication of how Mesa treats its customer base I will absolutely be buying more... it doesn't hurt that the Mark Five is probably the best amp I've ever owned.

W.

Latest posts

Back