Mark V: what's underneath the tolex coverings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andretoscano

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently purchased a second-hand Mark V.
It's got a red vinyl finish which looks nice, although I'm not emotionally attached to it. Just came that way.

In the past couple of days I realized there's a bit of vinyl peeling off here and there. Nothing much, but of course it will only get worse with time.

I am not really in the mood to send the Mark V to my local distributor and having to wait a few months for the Mark V to come back with new vinyl reapplied. So I was thinking I could just carefully take out the amp chassis and have some local craftsman work on a new cab covering.

That got me thinking, maybe someone knows the answer to this.

*If* (a big IF) I were to peel the red vinyl off the cabinet and lightly sand it to get rid of glue residues, what kind of wood finish should I expect to find?

Would it be a wood like appearance, with all those organic veins and grains, that I could simply give a touch of varnish and go for a natural finish?

Or would I find some MDF-look-a-like gray homogenous thing?

In other words, is the wood-work of a "raw" Mark V nice to look at? Or were the ugliest pieces of wood used, since they'd not be in sight anyway?

Thanks!

I've never pulled the tolex off but it's highly likely that it's plywood. Some plywood has a veneer coating on it that looks nice but it's unlikely they would use that knowing it would be covered up and on the edges you would see the layers of wood anyway. Best to expect to re-apply the tolex I would think.

Authorized Boogie said:
As with all of our cabs, its Baltic Birch. Thanks!

Thanks!
Would it be too much to ask you to post a picture of a "raw" Mark V - or indeed any amp head model that uses the same wood - so I know what it looks like when stripped of its vinyl?

That would help me decide as to wether I'll have some vinyl reapplied or a simple wood varnish treatment of some kind.

Thanks again.

10909_10152308116867685_7852993632667215763_n.jpg

Authorized Boogie said:

It does look good, but doesn't have that flair (in my opinion) of a purposedly choosen wood finish.
So a new vinyl covering it will have to be.

Thanks!

Call me ghetto, but I've always liked carpeted amps/cabs, provided it's short and neat instead of shaggy or mangy.
I also like the look of plain birch when it's glossed-over, like on some plain drum shells (pearl visions for example)

TRENCHLORD said:
Call me ghetto, but I've always liked carpeted amps/cabs, provided it's short and neat instead of shaggy or mangy.
I also like the look of plain birch when it's glossed-over, like on some plain drum shells (pearl visions for example)

Well, I don't have a problem with that natural birch tone also.
Just not sure about those visible layers of plywood that you can see on the sides.
In my opinion, it would make the cab look somewhat unfinished.
But that's just me.

Yea, baltic birch is not sought after for its figuring... hence why it is covered up with tolex! It's rather boring in comparison to some of the other hardwoods that make up the hardwood heads/cabs you can order custom from Mesa.

andretoscano said:
TRENCHLORD said:

Well, I don't have a problem with that natural birch tone also.
Just not sure about those visible layers of plywood that you can see on the sides.
In my opinion, it would make the cab look somewhat unfinished.
But that's just me.

You could do it like this...which I think looks awesome. This is another member's amp:

61pqPL.jpg

jb's 52 said:
You could do it like this...which I think looks awesome. This is another member's amp:

61pqPL.jpg

Wow! This is really cool! Or hot! Not sure which term to use.
Really nice stuff.
Plus, if my house ever gets robbed again, "that heavy old broken thing with knobs on it" will probably be the last thing on the thieves minds... :lol:

Now I wonder how difficult it would be to replicate those tobacco sunburst finishes in a cab like this.
Gotta find someone who knows about woods.

Thanks!

Hypnotoad696 said:
Plywood lol!!! must be a mesa noob. Its all hard core birch baby.

FYI, plywood is not a type of wood, it's a way of organizing wood into sheets/layers (or plies).
So, yes, you can have birch plywood boards, just as you can have 'em made out of cedar, pine or spruce.

In fact, if you look at the sides of the unfinished speakers (see picture above), or even the lovely green "butchered" Mark V after it, you can definitely spot the layers, which was what put me off ripping the vinyl covers off my Mark V in the first place. I don't like those layers showing up.
That's just what I meant when I mentioned plywood.

Back