Mark V vs. Triaxis/2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adonixx

Reaction score
Anyone had a chance to compare these two?

I have Mark IV short head right now, and im thinking to switch to either MKV or triaxis/2:90 (non-phat version). Any thoughts? :?:

Had a non-phat version Triaxis (SN#300sish) and a 2:90 for about 8 years and recently switched to the V.

All around the V is a better amp IMO -- pulling away noticeably on aggressive tones.

Edit: Honestly I would decide between keeping the IV or moving towards a V.

adonixx said:

I have Mark IV short head right now, and im thinking to switch to either MKV or triaxis/2:90 (non-phat version). Any thoughts? :?:

I have done a comparison of the Mark V and Triaxis (phatmod)/2:90. I am actually producing a video to go through the similarities and differences between the two pieces which I will post on YouTube within the next week or so.

Bottom line outcome is that the Triaxis/2:90 combo wins hands down. The Channel 3 MKIIC+ on the Mark V doesn't hold a match to Lead 2 Yellow on the Triaxis. I feel the Mark V is much too fizzy. However, I am still doing comparisons using the Slave Out on the Mark V and Direct Recording outs on the Triaxis. I will keep you all posted, but that should answer your question.

I've owned the 2.90/triaxis non phat in the past.
Currently, playing on a MK IV and V and to my ears, a head amp is much more dynamic due to the non stereo system.
Otherwise, both sound great but I think the V have sound that the triaxis can't have and specially the extreme mode wich is the real evolution of the Mark serie.(for me the perfect crossroad between the Mark and the Recto series.)
128 instant sounds on the triaxis and only 3 on the V but the pleasure to tweak and find new sound with real knobs.

So, the best is a Wet/dry/wet setup to keep that dynamic and the real sound of the amp with stereo effects :D

littleguitar said:
Currently, playing on a MK IV and V and to my ears, a head amp is much more dynamic due to the non stereo system.

WOW. I disagree with you on so many levels on that. I own a ton of amps and they always sound better in stereo. I'm holding out for another Mark V so I can do the stereo thing with that amp. Right now I'm just slaving it through a 2:90 for stereo.

Oh and I will take a V2 phatmod Triaxis over a non-phat mod Triaxis any day.

MesaGod666 said:
Bottom line outcome is that the Triaxis/2:90 combo wins hands down. The Channel 3 MKIIC+ on the Mark V doesn't hold a match to Lead 2 Yellow on the Triaxis.

I must add my $.02 here, as the Lead2 Yellow on my Triaxis (driving a 50/50) is one tone I really wish my Stiletto (or a Recto, or other Mesa's for that matter) could do!
Just about the sweetest, thickest lead tone there is! (IMHO, that is).

:D

MesaGod666 said:
littleguitar said:

WOW. I disagree with you on so many levels on that. I own a ton of amps and they always sound better in stereo. I'm holding out for another Mark V so I can do the stereo thing with that amp. Right now I'm just slaving it through a 2:90 for stereo.

Oh and I will take a V2 phatmod Triaxis over a non-phat mod Triaxis any day.
Hey man, thanks for all input, i really appreciate it. I heard a guy playing through triaxis/2:90 and it just seems like mark iv with awesome overdrive + focus. When i got home i tried to dial something similar but mark iv doesnt seem to have the punch, liquidity, if that describes it correctly, that triaxis/290 have.

Why do you prefer phat mod triaxis?

MesaGod666 said:
adonixx said:

I have done a comparison of the Mark V and Triaxis (phatmod)/2:90. I am actually producing a video to go through the similarities and differences between the two pieces which I will post on YouTube within the next week or so.

Bottom line outcome is that the Triaxis/2:90 combo wins hands down. The Channel 3 MKIIC+ on the Mark V doesn't hold a match to Lead 2 Yellow on the Triaxis. I feel the Mark V is much too fizzy. However, I am still doing comparisons using the Slave Out on the Mark V and Direct Recording outs on the Triaxis. I will keep you all posted, but that should answer your question.
Fizz? I can dial all of the fizz out of a mark V just by putting the presence below 9:00.

MesaGod666 said:
adonixx said:

Makes you wonder why Petrucci uses Mark's instead of the Triaxis.

Scary said:

Thanks for response, but sarcasm really doesnt help here.. JP uses bunch of different things, including triaxis.. My question was for all around preference/comparison if anyone did it or have experience with both. Maybe i should ask JP for advice directly, but he probably has better things to do :wink:

Here is JPs interview, check it out, maybe you get info you didnt have before..: http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Artists/Assets/interview.html

I sold my Triaxis/2:90/G Force/Ground Contro Pro/etc after I bought the Mark V.

I play in a 90's Alternative rock cover band. We plat Alice in Chains, STP, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. I really only need 4 types of gain and I am able to get that with the Mark V and a Fulltone OCD pedal. I also use a Liquid Chorus, Nova Delay, Phase 90, and a Wah Pedal.

Clean = Fat Clean Mode
Light Gain = Fat Clean + Fulltone OCD
Medium Gain = Crunch Mode
Hi Gain = Mark IV Mode (I have been switching between all 3 modes in channel 3, can't decide which one I like the most)

Mark V Pros:

High Gain just as good as a Triaxis
Crunch Sound, I prefer the Mark V
Clean, I prefer the Mark V
The Mark V is easier to dial in and set up
The Mark V is easier to haul around

Triaxis Pros:

Instant access to more presets than I need.

adonixx said:
Scary said:

Thanks for response, but sarcasm really doesnt help here.. JP uses bunch of different things, including triaxis.. My question was for all around preference/comparison if anyone did it or have experience with both. Maybe i should ask JP for advice directly, but he probably has better things to do :wink:

Here is JPs interview, check it out, maybe you get info you didnt have before..: http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Artists/Assets/interview.html

I'm just interested in the differences, not doubting the Triaxis with a mesa preamp kicks ***. If I had tons of extra cash i'd buy one and find out first hand believe me.

DudewithFr0 said:
Fizz? I can dial all of the fizz out of a mark V just by putting the presence below 9:00.

If you like that flat cardboard sound, then more power to you. But I like having a little more presence in the mix, but hate the FIZZ that is more prevalent in the Mark V sound that is non-existent in the Triaxis/2:Ninety, or IIC+ for that matter.

Scary said:

He played stock Triaxis Preamps (which is a MIDIfied MARK preamp) and stock 2:Ninety power amps for a very long time before switching to the MarkIV. He now plays heavily modified Mark V amps because of the FIZZ issues and gain issues the stock Mark V has. Call MESA and have them tell you all the crazy modifications they did for him. Also, I think he's using the MARK V just to promote it for MESA. I don't know if MESA is paying him to use the Mark V, he might just be using it because he's curious as we all are/were. I would like to see him do a review of the Mark V and let us all know what he likes about it and what he would improve.

Personally, the Mark V is a nice amp. I like the Mark I mode the most. I feel the Channel 3 modes are extra noisy and tonally sub-par given the ticket price. The MKIV mode is the only mode that I could live with on channel 3.

Am I continually impressed with it? No. It's a novelty amp that I'm sure MESA will continue to improve over the next few years. So, let's just say I am looking forward to the upgraded version of this amp.

MesaGod666 said:
DudewithFr0 said:

If you like that flat cardboard sound, then more power to you. But I like having a little more presence in the mix, but hate the FIZZ that is more prevalent in the Mark V sound that is non-existent in the Triaxis/2:Ninety, or IIC+ for that matter.

Scary said:

He played stock Triaxis Preamps (which is a MIDIfied MARK preamp) and stock 2:Ninety power amps for a very long time before switching to the MarkIV. He now plays heavily modified Mark V amps because of the FIZZ issues and gain issues the stock Mark V has. Call MESA and have them tell you all the crazy modifications they did for him. Also, I think he's using the MARK V just to promote it for MESA. I don't know if MESA is paying him to use the Mark V, he might just be using it because he's curious as we all are/were. I would like to see him do a review of the Mark V and let us all know what he likes about it and what he would improve.

Personally, the Mark V is a nice amp. I like the Mark I mode the most. I feel the Channel 3 modes are extra noisy and tonally sub-par given the ticket price. The MKIV mode is the only mode that I could live with on channel 3.

Am I continually impressed with it? No. It's a novelty amp that I'm sure MESA will continue to improve over the next few years. So, let's just say I am looking forward to the upgraded version of this amp.

I find it suprising you have alot of noise in channel 3. I'm not noticing that on mine. I only have a Gforce hooked up though, no pedals or anything. You've had problems with fizz too, maybe it's the cabinet you're using or your tubes aren't up to snuff. I don't have any problems dialing out fizz and believe me it doesn't sound like flat cardboard.

Fizz??? Tried any palm-muting? or letting your strings old a little? I know I know silly things but hey! It works!!! Also the **** graphic eq has two sliders at about 2.2 khz and 6.6 that usually...work. Pressence below 9 ftw!!!

However whenever I set up a "fizzy" sound, then palm mute at specific places on the strings the fizz is gone and a great "heavy as choke" sound comes out...but tottaly useless for other styles(e.g. open chords and marshall type stuff)

...then again everybody tries to copy hetfields rythm and nobody really nails it...wonder why? He even recorded some armonies for the black album with an mxr dist straight into the board and still sounded great with no fizz...that right hand should be insured by his management.

So I am saying that you can't really "bash" the amp...Also I have yet to hear any amp that fizzes extensively in really high volumes when the power tubes start to color the sound...with the band playing along...what comes through a mic is another story. I think it certainly comes down to the playing techinque and room akoustics and circumstances...Also the c90 is a greatly extended speaker in my taste. I think a v30 equipped cab could smooth out some of the fizz?
Where do you usually use the amp metalgod666?

Another thing about the triaxis: Even though it is a great piece of gear, whenever I put it beside a studio preamp it fails significantly by providing a similar sound but smaller, more compressed, muddied and less harmonical...and the list goes on...

It is still a good sound, I also find that the triaxis is more consistent through many setups than the studio preamp, but if you re aiming for that lead 2 yellow sound, save your cash and buy a well conditioned studio or even quad preamp(if you can find one...).

If you can take advantage of the stereo and midi capabilities of the triaxis then I'd say the tri wins. For overall tone quality the V beats it but just barely. At least to me.

Latest posts

Back