Mark V vs. Rectifier series

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How does the tone of the Mark series differ from the rectifier series? I know that both are used extensively in metal and hard rock. I have studied the details on each amp series, and it seems that the Mark V is quite a bit more versatile.

I have a Stiletto Deuce which works for a majority of stuff I play. However, I would also like to get an American tone, which the stiletto will not do. I want something that will do metal, anything from Metallica, Megadeth, etc. to Numetal, as well as classic rock, such as Mountain, Ted Nugent, Boston, etc. Wich Mesa amp fits that bill the best? Also, will the Mark V combo drive a cabinet just like the head since they are the same wattage?

A rectifier has more low mids, more lows, and a bit of a fizzy high end. This makes it great for deep chugging and fat open chords.

The Mark series has more high mids, tighter lows, and a very smooth high end. This makes it creamier for leads and tight for metal.

For numetal I'd say get the Rectifier, but for the other stuff you mentioned go for a Mark.

Yes, a combo will drive a cabinet the same as a head.

I would go with th Mark V because if it's versatility.

You could always add one of your fave distortion/OD pedals to the amp
to get a hairier 'recto' nu metal type sound.

You can also have a mark 5 on chan. 3 with extreme setting on and put it in troiode. If you downtune this can get pretty close to that recto low-end that people crave.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am new to the Mesa world, but learning everyday. Now that I am a new Mesa owner (Stiletto), I am hooked. My local Mesa dealer is backlogged on Mark V's, but as soon as he gets one in for stock, I'm gonna check it out. Thanks everyone!

Don't forget about the DR Roadster.

It is the same price and has more channels.

A good friend left a single rectifier at my house for a month or so. I couldn't get a tone from it that interested me enough to pull me away from the Mark IV. I tinkered around with it various times but was never inspired by it. I assumed rectifiers are amps that need to be cranked, because many people in bands love them.

ripped it thru my buddies Dual the other night. I dig it, but not as much as I dig the Mark IV.

The Recto definitely had a low-end rumble that sorta took away some of the tight definition that I was looking for....

I had a dual rec that was to this day the best amp i ever had untill it blew out, then it was "fixed" to sound like the current dual recs and i hated it. to me they are so muddy these days. anyway, I have a MV which is a bit better but the one that I thought had the best of both worlds for one lead channel was the mark IV. I have a Randall mts though so all the other cool sounds that the MV does don't matter much to me. I do like the power section's switchable class a simulclass though. :)

-Angel

Latest posts

Back