Mark V = Triaxis/Nomad hybrid?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverwulf said:
I actually love the Triaxis...I should, I've owned 6 of them... :lol: Funny thing about the Triaxis, probably a good 3-5 months ago (don't remember exactly when), a buddy - who is endorsed by Mesa - called up his rep to get a Triaxis and was told it was being discontinued. However, it was never removed from the site afterwards and we've heard to the contrary since. So, I don't know why his rep thought the Triaxis was being discontinued. Must have been some chatter going on about it for him to get that impression.

I have no doubts the Mark V is going to be a great amp. Mesa has never disappointed me yet, and I'm sure the V will be no exception. I'm sure the Triaxis was the inspiration in terms of the modes included, but I think the modes will be closer to the actual amps than they are the Triaxis modes. Petrucci thought the IIC+ mode was nearly spot on to his IIC+ heads, and though I've owned IIC+'s myself, I'm sure he's spent more time with a IIC+ in a band situation than I ever will. Who am I to argue? :p Once we get some V's in our hands and try them for ourselves and get more information, we'll know for sure. We could be 100% right, or 100% wrong. Who knows? We're all just speculating at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me... maybe that rep is right and it is being discontinued. Maybe they don't produce the Triaxis anymore but they still have some inventory of finished amps in the warehouse.

I totally agree with you that the Mark V modes will be closer to the actual amps than they are the Triaxis modes. And that will be the beauty of this new amp. A wonderful starting point but with all the experience gathered in 15+ years added to it. I couldn't ask for more!!

Regards

Silverwulf said:
Petrucci thought the IIC+ mode was nearly spot on to his IIC+ heads

Petrucci actually commented on the Mark V? Interesting...

Can you point us the the article or interview or whatever the source?

Thanks

It came from one of his techs (guitartech72) on the HRI board.

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52653&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=mark&start=15

Koadogg hit the nail on the head. I saw him talking about it on another forum, but I think he may have mentioned it there too. Either way, that's where the info came from.

If you want some good tech discussion on the Triaxis, I'd recommend www.tubefreak.com. He's got some really great tips on how to choose tubes to optimize that unit. The actual point I wanted to make, was that although possibly similar in organization, the circuit architecture of the two units are probably vastly different. There are more than a few solid state IC devices in the Triaxis that contribute to its sound, whereas I doubt highly there are any to be found in the Mark V.

Satch12879 said:
There are more than a few solid state IC devices in the Triaxis that contribute to its sound, whereas I doubt highly there are any to be found in the Mark V.

Why would you?
There's nothing bad about solid state, when used properly.

And, by the way, there is some solid state on each and every Mark amp since the II. Each time you engage the 5 band EQ, you kick in a couple of bipolar transistors as well. Nobody ever complained about the EQ sounding bad though :)

Now, that we have more information, we can see that:

- the Mark V Channel 1 is a copy/further development of the Roadster/Road King II channel 1 (clean and fat coming from the Lone Star)
- the Channel 2 is a pre-tone-control gain circuit copied/further developed from the Triaxis Lead 1 channel, where they made room for a second Brit voicing (from the Stiletto??) by using a "voicing mini-switch" exclusively dedicated to the Mark 1 mode
- the Channel 3 is a copy/further development of the Triaxis Lead 2 channel

The power amp is probably a single channel development of the Simul-Class 2:Ninety which was designed some years ago to match the Triaxis. Of course, it includes the single ended class A design from the Lone Star.

The only one I have heard complaining about the solid state components on his Mark I graphic EQ is Carlos Santana and this is why he always turns off the EQ. But, taking into account that he sets all the volume pots in 7, he might hear something that for us (just plain human beings) is non existing. That is... if he can still hear anything after playing so loud for so many years. :lol:

igfraso said:
The only one I have heard complaining about the solid state components on his Mark I graphic EQ is Carlos Santana and this is why he always turns off the EQ. But, taking into account that he sets all the volume pots in 7, he might hear something that for us (just plain human beings) is non existing. That is... if he can still hear anything after playing so loud for so many years. :lol:

I sold my '78 MkI because of the volume issue. The louder I played it, the better it sounded. I knew that this was going be an issue down the road. :wink:

Just wondering ...

I was an avid Marshall JMP-1 man. Loved it but decided to upgrade to an all in one JVM 410H 100W midi controllable, multi voiced channels, 100% Valve, assignable master volumes, great inbuilt digital reverb ... blah blah blah. This thing is great ... but ... the overall volume of each voice for each channel is different.

Each channel has 3 voices.
You can assign a voice to a master volume (EG: Ch #1 - Green -> M'Vol 1, Ch #1 - Amber -> M'Vol 2, Ch # 1 - Red -> ???)
This is the same for each of the 4 channels and the various gain stages used to achieve the voicings cause different volumes. 1 more Master Vol would have been fantastic.

The manual suggests that you can turn the FX loop on for one voice, and use the FX Mix pot to adjust the volume of a channel to get the 3 levels at the same volume for the same Channel. I tried this and it worked OK however - it meant that the FX loop was then used for vol control by one voice for each channel - and really negated it as any real use for FX across all of the 12 possible voices. This is a real limitation of the amp - really bummed about it.

When I bought it - I thought I had replaced my JMP-1 midi pre with an all in one beast. In reality, if I want to use the FX loop - I can only get 8 voices. So ... I now have a Triaxis and am relearning the joys of a midi preamp again

So, Why am I ranting like this I hear you ask ... if you got this far ;-) I wonder whether the Mark V will suffer the same type of issues with it's different voicings in each channel?

Has anyone tested this part of it ?

Peter.

Back