Mark V = Triaxis/Nomad hybrid?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igfraso

Reaction score
I don't know if it is just me but I sense that the Mark V is a new version of the Triaxis trapped in a Nomad format.
I recall that a couple of years ago I told Mike Bendinelli that a Triaxis in a combo format would be a very attractive amp. He just laughed and didn't say a word.
Regards
Daniel

Let me correct myself. Maybe hybrid is not the proper word. I just mean that it looks like a Triaxis preamp (combined with some Simul-Class power amp), built into a Nomad-type front panel layout.

If you read the Triaxis owner's manual, you will find many similarities with (what we know of) the Mark V.
So allow me to speculate further and tell me if it doesn't look like:

- Channel 1 Mk V = Rhythm 1 Triaxis: clean mode=R1 yellow, fat mode=R1 green, tweed mode=R1 green cranked.

- Channel 2 Mk V = Lead 1 Triaxis: edge mode=LD1 red (Vintage/Orange Dual Recto), crunch mode=LD1 yellow, Mk I mode=LD1 green.

- Channel 3 Mk V = Lead 2 Triaxis: Mk IIC+ mode=LD2 yellow, Mk IV mode=LD2 green, extreme mode=LD2 red (Mk IV with presence pushed in; Mk III searing lead).

- Preset depth Mk V = Dynamic Voice Triaxis

- Front panel layout Mk V = Front panel layout Nomad

Regards

Wow indeed... I'd never looked into the Triaxis before. I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Of course, the V has a few more whistles but still.

Doesn't really matter at all how alike the layouts are, the Triaxis doesn't sound anything like a IIC+ or a IV IMHO.

rabies said:
so how come nobody pointed this out like 4 weeks ago?

so you're telling me I might as well buy a triaxis and run it with my marshall dual monobloc (my main request was a mark IV with a "real" marshall R2 with 4xel34s)...

I have never touched a Mark V so I am just only guessing here.

But being Randall Smith such a good businessman, it makes sense that he would put his hands on something that has been extensively tried and tested and just kick it up another notch. I would think that the Mark V preamp is a newer version of the Triaxis.
regards

danyeo1 said:
Doesn't really matter at all how alike the layouts are, the Triaxis doesn't sound anything like a IIC+ or a IV IMHO.

Nor does the Mark V from what I've heard!

Just listening to the clips again and now I can hear the triaxis like preamp :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqeWzjLIB2I

Good spot igfraso!!

i have owned a triaxis for about 10 years and when I first saw the videos on the mark V I actually though the same thing..."man, this is basically a triaxis in a different box with a poweramp included". lol. I have no idea if it will sound better or worse than what I already have but I agree with your initial post.

The more I learn/listen & think about this the more I regret placing a pre-order for the V.

...and Randall Smith and Jim Marshall are really the same guy, and he is really the secret son of Leo Fender, and all amps from Mesa are really made in a secret factory at the Earth's core by a bunch of rock gnomes called the Grooken.

Fairy tales and assumptions simply make a...well, you know what you do when you assume... :wink:

Seriously people, this was brought up and discussed before the V was even released at NAMM, back when we heard what the modes would be. If all this amp had was an updated Triaxis packed into a power amp, Mesa would have released the Mark V in 1994, not 2009.

It's already been established that there's a whole slew of modes and features not even remotely found on the Triaxis. You don't need to put a handful of years or R&D into an amp if it's nothing more than a variation of something you already made over 15 years ago. It is completely ignorant to try and judge an amp by a couple of NAMM videos with "Man X" playing at barely above bedroom volumes with everything scooped on the EQ posted on Youtube.

Again, please reserve your stories of pixies and gnomes until you actually play one and/or get more information before you assume a company like Mesa's virtually new flagship amp - celebrating their 40th Anniversary - is a Triaxis packed into head chassis with a built in power amp.

="Silverwulf You don't need to put a handful of years or R&D into an amp if it's nothing more than a variation of something you already made over 15 years ago.

Very true, we call it low hanging fruit in my terrible corporate job.

It sounds far more like a triaxis to me than a Mark IV or IIC+

I'm not saying it's a bad amp!!

danyeo1 said:

I can't speak to the IIC+, but I had TriAxis andc MK IV for many years...and the TriAxis did in fact get to within 95% exact tone as the MK IV, I attribute the other 5% to the power section difference.

I know because many times I tested running my Triaxis to the MK IV power section and the tone was indistinguishable when running the MK IV lead and Rythm modes on the TriAxis

rabies said:
so how come nobody pointed this out like 4 weeks ago?

so you're telling me I might as well buy a triaxis and run it with my marshall dual monobloc (my main request was a mark IV with a "real" marshall R2 with 4xel34s)...

and if i told you to jump off a bridge?

JAZZGEAR said:
danyeo1 said:

I can't speak to the IIC+, but I had TriAxis andc MK IV for many years...and the TriAxis did in fact get to within 95% exact tone as the MK IV, I attribute the other 5% to the power section difference.

I know because many times I tested running my Triaxis to the MK IV power section and the tone was indistinguishable when running the MK IV lead and Rythm modes on the TriAxis

That's cool, but i disagree. I feel the Quad is the only one that got really close to the sound of the heads.

Silverwulf said:
... If all this amp had was an updated Triaxis packed into a power amp, Mesa would have released the Mark V in 1994, not 2009.

It's already been established that there's a whole slew of modes and features not even remotely found on the Triaxis. You don't need to put a handful of years or R&D into an amp if it's nothing more than a variation of something you already made over 15 years ago. It is completely ignorant to try and judge an amp by a couple of NAMM videos with "Man X" playing at barely above bedroom volumes with everything scooped on the EQ posted on Youtube.

Again, please reserve your stories of pixies and gnomes until you actually play one and/or get more information before you assume a company like Mesa's virtually new flagship amp - celebrating their 40th Anniversary - is a Triaxis packed into head chassis with a built in power amp.

You think as a musician. Most probably, Randall Smith thinks as a businessman.

In the same way he himself explained how the Lonestar Classic is based on the Mark I - and he didn't spend 33 years of R&D over the Mark I to come out with the LS -, most probably he didn't need to spend 15 years of R&D on the Triaxis to come out with the Mark V.

Keep also in mind that the Mark V sports a new Simul-Class power amp.

Do you really think that when you issue a new Mark model you start designing it from scratch??? That wouldn't be very clever!!
You would rather use some time-proven bits of circuits, sort of "building blocks", in order to come out with an improved amp.

Also, why would you release a Mark V back in 1994, when you have a very successful product like the Mark IV in the market that is selling like fresh baked bread???
Would you shorten the life of such a product or will you milk it up to the last drop???

Think as a business man...

I guess the Triaxis is a very successful amp. It has been in the market since 1990 and has outlived the Mark IV. It is still being built nowadays. I believe it is the longest-lived amp in Mesa's history... people must be very happy with it.

By the way, I have already ordered a Mark V head with the widebody Thiele. This is the amp I was looking for and Randall Smith hasn't disappointed me a single bit. Chapeau to him!
Regards

igfraso said:
You think as a musician. Most probably, Randall Smith thinks as a businessman.

No, that's where you're wrong. I think like a musician and an entrepreneur - much like I assure you Randall Smith does, and you'd most certainly have to think like both collectively in order to successfully run a music related company the way Mesa has for 40+ years.

igfraso said:
In the same way he himself explained how the Lonestar Classic is based on the Mark I - and he didn't spend 33 years of R&D over the Mark I to come out with the LS -, most probably he didn't need to spend 15 years of R&D on the Triaxis to come out with the Mark V.

Of course no amp company reinvents the wheel every time they make a new amp. Plus, no one said it would take 15 years of R&D. The Mark V is a culmination of 40 years of amp making in the business.

igfraso said:
Do you really think that when you issue a new Mark model you start designing it from scratch??? That wouldn't be very clever!!You would rather use some time-proven bits of circuits, sort of "building blocks", in order to come out with an improved amp.

Do you really think that putting multiple questions marks or exclamation points at the end of sentences gets a statement across louder? No, the Mark V wasn't created from scratch, and again...no one said it was. Yes, you would use reference points...oh, like maybe the Mark I, IIC+, IV, etc...as starting points, especially considering it has those modes in it?

igfraso said:
Also, why would you release a Mark V back in 1994, when you have a very successful product like the Mark IV in the market that is selling like fresh baked bread??? Would you shorten the life of such a product or will you milk it up to the last drop???

Think as a business man...

By the mid-90's, the Mark IV's were most certainly not "selling like fresh baked bread." The Recto was getting in full swing and dealers started phasing out Mark IV floor units for that very reason - they weren't selling. By the late 90's, Mark IV's were being shopped around really low prices used, Mark III's I was being offered at $450 - $500, and I picked up 2 Marshall JCM 800's back then for $400 each because people were trying to get rid of them - everyone wanted the "Recto sound."

So yes, a good 10 years ago would have been a wonderful time to release a new Mark amp...from a "business point of view."

igfraso said:
I guess the Triaxis is a very successful amp. It has been in the market since 1990 and has outlived the Mark IV. It is still being built nowadays. I believe it is the longest-lived amp in Mesa's history... people must be very happy with it.

I actually love the Triaxis...I should, I've owned 6 of them... :lol: Funny thing about the Triaxis, probably a good 3-5 months ago (don't remember exactly when), a buddy - who is endorsed by Mesa - called up his rep to get a Triaxis and was told it was being discontinued. However, it was never removed from the site afterwards and we've heard to the contrary since. So, I don't know why his rep thought the Triaxis was being discontinued. Must have been some chatter going on about it for him to get that impression.

I have no doubts the Mark V is going to be a great amp. Mesa has never disappointed me yet, and I'm sure the V will be no exception. I'm sure the Triaxis was the inspiration in terms of the modes included, but I think the modes will be closer to the actual amps than they are the Triaxis modes. Petrucci thought the IIC+ mode was nearly spot on to his IIC+ heads, and though I've owned IIC+'s myself, I'm sure he's spent more time with a IIC+ in a band situation than I ever will. Who am I to argue? :p Once we get some V's in our hands and try them for ourselves and get more information, we'll know for sure. We could be 100% right, or 100% wrong. Who knows? We're all just speculating at this point.

Silverwulf said:
I actually love the Triaxis...I should, I've owned 6 of them... :lol: Funny thing about the Triaxis, probably a good 3-5 months ago (don't remember exactly when), a buddy - who is endorsed by Mesa - called up his rep to get a Triaxis and was told it was being discontinued. However, it was never removed from the site afterwards and we've heard to the contrary since. So, I don't know why his rep thought the Triaxis was being discontinued. Must have been some chatter going on about it for him to get that impression.

That was a fallacy..the TriAxis was never going to be discontinued. What prompted that rumor was the unavailability of some critical components required for the recto board....instead Mesa revoiced that setting to Classic Boogie lead......and that happened well over a year ago.

JAZZGEAR said:
That was a fallacy..the TriAxis was never going to be discontinued. What prompted that rumor was the unavailability of some critical components required for the recto board....instead Mesa revoiced that setting to Classic Boogie lead......and that happened well over a year ago.

This was way after the transition to the TX5 board. This was just a few months ago he was told that.

Latest posts

Back