Mark V + TR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsens03

Reaction score
Anyone play these together in a band setting? How to the blend? Do they compliment each other or clash? Obviously this is not limited to just Triple Recs, but also Dual's. Thanks!

Well I've got a Dual (Rev G) and a Mark V. I occasionally use them in stereo, although most of the time it's either-or. Too much gear to lug around if I take both rigs... :p

I think they can be made to blend very nicely and complement each other excellently. They might not do so automatically, but give it some time and use your ears when dialing the sound. The Recto gives you the dark, loose, scooped sound, and the Mark V fills in the articulate midrange bite. It will be one of the most awesome sounds ever heard from Mesa amps!

Just some things to keep in mind, based on my personal observations.

Do NOT expect to separately dial in the perfect Recto sound and the perfect MkV sound and then try to match them. It won't work. Chances are they won't blend very well and your Recto will pump out way too much Gain compared to the MkV (and be way too loud as well, especially if you got the Triple).

Rather, turn both amps on simultaneously. First try to make them sound as close to each other as possible, then work your way from there. (There are thousands of interesting combinations and possible variations to explore!) Of course they will never sound exactly the same, they will retain their individual characters, and that's part of the fun.

In fact, I would suggest getting a Dual rather than Triple. It should be easier to match with a Mark V tonewise and balancewise.

It sounds quite awesome with a DR Roadster and Mark V paired. Almost makes you wish they combined the preamps into one because it is beautiful across the whole sound spectrum.

We played a show "festival" where the organizer had booked us a Mark V and a Duel Rec. It sounded absolutely killer. Do however use one of the more scooped channels on the Mark V if you tune down an octave. The Mark I mode with allot of pressence a and a slight booster will fill out the room together with the Rectifier.

I just got my Mark V over the weekend and tested it out in the best way, plugging it in at the show. It killed! My other guitarist plays a Trip Rec and the sounds blended well together. The Mark tends to cut through more but that's just the nature of the beast. The grind from the Mark and the gowl/bite of the Rec give a full sound, kind of like a JCM800 and Rec together except BETTER. LOL.

If you want to hear a Trip Recto with a Mark IV listen to Alter Bridge's new record. Tremonti uses his Trip Rec and Myles uses a Mark IV and it sounds good. Also saw some pictures of Mark and Willie of Lamb of God and it seems they're using Roadsters with their Mark IV's. Not sure if they use them live or in any recordings though.

Latest posts

Back