Mark V right for me? *update, finally tried it out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second this. I struggle with the channel 2 and 3 using my jtv variax. Almost all the models have this strange honky midrange. My other guitars don't exhibit this behavior and sound stellar on all channels.

APEMAN said:
Hi,
I just want to give this topic some different thoughts/flavour....

This love/hate relationship between many guitar players and their MkVs (or DRs...Mesa-amps) is not always a simple question of taste or the speakers... one important factor for me is the guitar and of course its pickups (cable!). I luckily own lets say a few guitars and they are all different... good cheap ones and good expensive ones. It took me a while to find out that it was sometimes the guitar itself (and its pu) that didn't fit/compliment the amp.
Sometimes I struggled with my MkV to get the right sound and feel and then I changed guitars and WOW I was in heaven. For example, an Axis Copy (Basswood) with a crunchlab, the guitar unplugged sounds great - was a complete catastrophy with the MkV. But when it comes to the crunchlab I have to say I changed it from guitar to guitar and it got even worse.... when he arrived at the fifth guitar - i don't know why, [edit:] maple body maple neck (!?) [/edit (late in the night, I was confused)] - it just sounded perfect thru the amp. Sry, I want to keep it short...

My tip is to just try another guitar with a different configuration. Before I had kind of the same trouble like you, CH1 was great and the others sounded strange. In the meantime Adam found paradise all over the channels :) [with stock tubes].

Good luck

I keep hearing people say that the MK1 mode sounds like it has a blanket over the cab. Other then the obvious bass down/presence & treble up, try it with single coils - sounds awesome. It is my favorite mode on the whole amp. A volume role off gives some nice tones for chording as well.

Latest posts

Back