Mark V Revision B vs original release / Speaker options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JlMMY

Reaction score
Hello,
I just ordered the 1 x 12" MC90 Widebody Theile cabinet to compliment my Mark V combo. I came here hoping to read up on this cabinet to see how others like it. I couldn't find much on this setup so I will post some feedback later next week, after I have received it. I have been playing the combo with a Bogner cube 1 x 12" V30 which sounds good. I also tried it with a vertical 2 x 12" cabinet loaded with one MC90 and one V30. That sounds really good. What sounds best is a 4 x 12" half stack loaded with V30's but can't always play with that much gear. Anyway, while I was reading on Grailtone I noticed discussion about a Mark V - B. I saw a picture of the tube cage but wondered what other changes they made to the "B" version of the Mark V over the original issue? I am mostly interested in sound / electrical changes? BTW, I have changed all the tubes. I tried EL34's, which sound great over stock. I used the Seimans. I am currently running RCA Blackplate with a mix of vintage 12AX7's. This is the best tube setup I have heard so far. Anyone who wants to discuss tubes, speakers, and mostly what is new about the rev B Mark V, please tell?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Hey Jimmy, there has been no revisions for the Mark V yet as far as we know. The new tube cage is standard for all new Mesas - not just Mark V.

I'm loving my V with my EV loaded 3/4 back cab and JJ/TungSol 12ax7 mix. Every few days I swap out the stock 6L6s for JJ E34Ls and love the crunch.

I'd love to hear one of those new widebody ported cabs with my EV in it!!

The tube cage is required for amps imported to the EU. Who knows, it prob'ly uses less aluminum than the bar across the back. :D

I prefer the bar, it lends itself well to using velcro cable straps to take any strain off of the cables plugged into the back!

It's not a revision. They were always made like this for other markets. They are just streamlining the process.

Thanks for clearing up the revision issue. I can't remember what thread it was but I was scanning Grailtone late the other night (too late) and saw someone commenting on the Mark V b. I know Mesa isn't sitting on their back feet with this model but it did seem way early for changes? Anyway, with that cleared up I didn't see many folks talking about which speaker setup is working best? I have 2 x 12", 4 x 12" and a Bogner Cube 1 x 12" that I have been sampling. I just put an order in for the 1 x 12" Theile. I based my decision solely on looks. I have speakers that I can swap out, when the Theile arrives, however, I really like the Celestion (Black Shadow) MC90 so I can't think of a better speaker for the 1 x 12". When it arrives I will give some opinion on this setup. Meanwhile, what are you guys using / loving? Seems like the Mark V is picking up a lot of fans. Awesome amp.

OK... I'm confused... I've got Mark V #375 and it's just got the Bar across the back like every other boogie I've ever owned. It's a head. Is this not the case for the new ones?

madryan said:
OK... I'm confused... I've got Mark V #375 and it's just got the Bar across the back like every other boogie I've ever owned. It's a head. Is this not the case for the new ones?

The newest ones have a cage and no bar. Mine is #1698 and it has the bar like yours.

Latest posts

Back