Mark V recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many examples of the clean signal from the cabclone sound great, however I have yet to hear examples with moderate gain. If the signal from the CabClone is a bit harsh to listen too with a high gain or distorted channel, either a plug-in cab simulator (I believe the two notes torpedo Wall of Sound is a free download and there may be other cab simulators available) or use of a CAB simulator pedal that can accept line level signals would help.

My example may not be the greatest.

OldTelecasterMan: Your recording sounds amazing. Nicely done!
MrSmitty: Also a great recording too.

I pale in comparison to both of you.

Listen as far as you can endure. It is not perfect as I am not a seasoned musician by any means. This is a blend of Pink Floyd mixed with a little Deep Purple style. https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/tempted01wav[/quote said:
In your recording I was really paying attention the Strymon BigSky how it sounded and how you used it. Very cool and big sound you achieved. It is a very cool musical idea.

I have a habit of not experimenting much with pedals. I think it comes from gigging too much.

BeltFedRiffs said:
In my limited experience - I have learned that even when your going for a high gain sound- you gotta dial the gain back a good bit on your amp for recording- because by the time you double track the guitars- it gets massive. Too much gain and too much on the bass things get flabby real quick and you loose articulation and note definition in passages.

To second what some folks have said - I almost exclusively use the Two Notes Torpedo this thing absolutely blows me away overtime I track guitars.
I've done a fair amount of studio recording and this is the case. Recording amps you always turn your gain down as compared to live.

OldTelecasterMan said:
Listen as far as you can endure. It is not perfect as I am not a seasoned musician by any means. This is a blend of Pink Floyd mixed with a little Deep Purple style. https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/tempted01wav[/quote said:
In your recording I was really paying attention the Strymon BigSky how it sounded and how you used it. Very cool and big sound you achieved. It is a very cool musical idea.

I have a habit of not experimenting much with pedals. I think it comes from gigging too much.

My preference is to use no effects, especially when playing alone. The Strymon BigSky is a fun effect pedal. Note that I did not use it in the amps effects loop but I did use the effects loop in the recorder. I also used a Strymon Dig in parallel at the same time. My recorder has two effects sends. So each pedal was returned in stereo and channeled into two stereo tracks. I did try the delay in series with the reverb pedal but it lost some detail. In parallel it sounded great so I used it. I did a similar thing with the other guitar track but used a different setting on the reverb pedal. There is so many tricks to learn and sometimes the experiment can be rewarding. Also found that the Bigsky worked quite well the way I used it as the lower octave was enhanced and not filtered out by the amp that was also attenuated. I probably would have been able to capture a different feel had I used a two mic setup that I had experimented with after this recording. Another track on my sound cloud named Roadster1 was a demo of a project but done for a member here in the Rectifier forums based on the tubes he uses. I was then going to repeat it using the Mark V as lead to compare the two. I should just reuse the recording and redo the lead but have not gotten around to it yet as I would prefer to complete the project than to only do a partial.

https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/roadster1-zwav

I still used the attenuator and line out from that, also made use of an SM57 on the cab and included a condenser mic placed in the doorway of the room I was recording in. That introduced some natural reverb or ambiance to the recording that seems to get lost with just one mic on the cab or with the attenuator line out. Will have to do that again.

Back