Mark V Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonestar Boogie

Reaction score
I'm hoping the Mark V Crew can help me out here.

I've been having an issue while playing on Channel 1 and the Fat mode. This is the mode I play most often, so it doesn't surprise me that I've only seen it here, but it could be an issue elsewhere, but has not manifested itself yet.

What happens is, while I am playing, the lights on the amp go off, and there are some clicking or light popping sounds. Yesterday while it was doing this, I was still getting sound out of the amp when I played the guitar. Then, more light pops or clicks, the lights come back on, and all three channel lights come on on the channel selector board, like when the amp is first turned on.

This happened a few times, so I switched over the channels two and three, and had not issues with them. Going back to channel one, but trying Clean or Tweed, there were no issues.

I talked to another Mark V owner (also a Guitar center employee) about this issues a couple of months ago. He recommended I consult the owner's manual and identify the pre-amp tube associated with that Channel/Mode. I was able to do that and install a new tube. The amp sounded better right away, but the problem has returned. I did use a Mesa Boogie 12ax7 tube to replace the other tube.

Would a bad pre-amp tube cause the amp to appear to shut off like that? I could understand it affecting the sound, or even having the sound drop out and come back in, but to cause the various lights on the amp to switch off and on, and even affect the foot switch like that?

Anyway, I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

A preamp tube shouldn't cause the amp to loose power.

A loose footswitch cable (like everyne on TGP seemed to focus on) will cause the relay chatter and footswitch light reset, but it won't cause the amp to loose power.

Just to confirm, when the lights on the amp go out the power light goes out too?

Is channel 1 on 45w with the tube rectifier? Does the problem go away if you switch it to diode?

Head or combo?

Does the fuse show any signs of wear or damage?

Mine did something very similar. The amp was about 3 weeks old. I cannot remember exactly what it was that John (The Boogie Tech) said that it was but he fixed it. It was not a tube, I do remember that.

For me it was warranty work I had it back before the weekend.

Take it in to Boogie.

It seems identical to what I'm getting these days.

If you find out what is it, can you please post it on the board?

Thanks

I do know that the Mesa tech replaced the channel 3 light that indicates what channel is on and he did express that the light replacement requirement for the fix was very odd.

When I was having problems things seemed to progress and get worse.

Take it to your Mesa dealer.

I had the same problem on my Mark V.
If you are fix your problem, can you please post it on the board

Thanks

Latest posts

Back