Mark V Preset Knobs... Anyone use them?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone use the Preset knobs

• Yes, at home.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Yes, in a band.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
The preset is too scooped for my taste as well. I have made a few attempts with them, but end up using the sliders.

You guys do realize that you can set the level right? If you think it scoops too much, just back the level off a bit to blend in more of the un-EQ'd signal.

SBG200 said:
You guys do realize that you can set the level right? If you think it scoops too much, just back the level off a bit to blend in more of the un-EQ'd signal.

Yes, but by the time I have the mids back up to an acceptable level it's reduced the top/bottom end boost as well.

I don't know if they're too scooped for my tastes, but they just seem too bright on channels 2 and 3.

i matched them fairly well with sliders.
its the V curve with inverted top frequencies
80 on the top line, 220 litte above top line, 750 on the bottom line (not all the way down!), 2200 2/3 towards top line, 6600 center line.

somewhere along those you'll find the preset sound. i tried it and turned away, switching preset/sliders didnt introduce a significant change.

considering that was my favourite way of having EQ setup, i use it on CH3 all the time. i use EQ for CH2. that is, for rock/modern sounds. i dont use the eq for jazz.

I use them on CH 2 & 3 but use the sliders on CH 1. Using the Depth knobs I think they sound great.

Yeah the preset EQ sounds really awful. I don't know if it's the actual EQ curve as much as the actual circuit. I looked briefly at the schematic (understanding just enough to be dangerous...) and the slider EQ is a passive, inductor-based one whereas the preset EQ looks like some kind of solid state design. Sounds like it, too.

whoops, a doozy there. it is not passive. you cannot boost with passive, no logic in it... think about it. ;)
it uses 4 OpAmps like previous designs. you only observed the control section of it.
so yah, its a solidstate design.

try the settings i suggested its a curve copied directly from the graphic EQ...

If combined with make-up gain you can boost a passive eq from a user perspective (cut everything but the desired freq, then add gain). But like I said, I only know enough to be dangerous...:D The slider EQ just sounds so much bigger to me. I'll try your suggestion though - thanks.

The Preset sounds great at home at low volumes, but in the mix of a full band I use the sliders (only on CH3).

Only like it for quick changes when going from Crunch to Mark I mode or something, but that isn't too often. I find it to scoop the mids far too much. It would've been cool if we could've programmed the preset EQ or something but I can't complain. The Graphic EQ works beautifully.

jabberwocker said:
If combined with make-up gain you can boost a passive eq from a user perspective (cut everything but the desired freq, then add gain). But like I said, I only know enough to be dangerous...:D The slider EQ just sounds so much bigger to me. I'll try your suggestion though - thanks.
manley massive passive anyone? :)
the one in mesa/boogie is however i believe similar to other guitar GEQ.
the preset EQ was my biggest concern when i was buying the amp, i was really afraid they'd implement the extreme version of V scooped to bleeding ears contour.

it all depends for me........ ch 1 preset knob, ch2 eq off and ch 3 sliders. but any time i play jazz, ch 1 ( i like a darker sound in this channel like adam rogers's sound) i used sliders.

lots of choices, love this amp

yeah, I think they do the job just fine because you can scoop the tone and use the GEQ for anything else and it wont sound bad..

I must be the oddball..I use them all the time. I can't seem to dial in a good all around sound using the sliders. But with the presets I can mix them in and get a great sound..Maybe I havn't spent enough time with the sliders....

boogieman60 said:
I must be the oddball..I use them all the time. I can't seem to dial in a good all around sound using the sliders.

+1

For the life of me, I cannot get a sound that I am happy with on the sliders either, though I am glad that I have the option.

I use the preset knobs in the following positions:

Ch 1 - 11o'clock
Ch 2 - 2 o'clock
Ch 3 - 12 noon

Back