Mark V Preset Knobs... Anyone use them?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone use the Preset knobs

• Yes, at home.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Yes, in a band.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
YES!!

I use the preset knob on channel 3, 45 Watt, Mark IV for recording in my home!
and that'll be the left guitar.

I'm double tracking of course
and the right guitar is channel 3, 90 Watt, Mark IV with Sliders. It's nice. I can get two different tones with the same amp (the Mark IV selection) without changing the knobs. it's so nice to just flick two switches to achieve the 2nd tone.

To your dismay, the preset knob setting is my more middy, rounder sound. The slider setting is a more Megadeth kinda sound. scooped

I've spent some more time with the presets since I started this thread and I've come to like them.

I think the trick was that I aquired a Recto 4x12. I kind of suspect they were designed around that cab.

I found the presets way too bright/harsh sounding with a couple other cabs I tried and the mids dropped out way too fast. With the Recto cab on the otherhand they don't sound harsh at all and the scoop seems rather moderate.

Any cab with C90? i have a c90 in my combo and it works just well with it. also with Classic Lead 80 which is predominantly a bright speaker, but i do run presence at 0 almost all the time.

i think its based on CL80 anyway. If you turn up the presence while using preset EQ things get pretty harsh - crappy tubes doesnt help either.

Only in channel 1 and set sparingly. I much prefer the sliders in Ch2 and Ch3.

Preset sounds great to me on channel 3 Mark IIC+ mode to get that classic metal scoop. Plus, it frees up the V curve for channel 2 experimentation with various EQ shapes.

Alright... I'm totally sold on these little knobs. I hated them at first, but now that I've grown accustomed to the way they sound and tweaked my normal T/M/B/P EQ knobs a bit to make them work better together I don't really have a use for the graphic EQ anymore as I can't seem to dial in a better tone with it than the presets provide.

As a bonus, when I setup on stage last night I just swept the preset knob with the singer standing out front to tell me when to stop, which was way easier than fiddling with the graphic EQ.

In hindsight, it would've been cool if Mesa designed the EQ/footswitch so that you could change from the preset to the graphic EQ... that way it could do an EQ shift along with a volume boost when you step on the solo footswitch.

hehe, yeah... it was the same with me. i hated it at first and the whole idea of "preset V" but its a really nice curve and used subtly it gives just a little hair and oomph to the sound.
its a great idea. footswitchable preset/graphic.

And you can "mix in" the amount of EQ you want. I've been using the amp on 45 watt mode to get the power tubes cooking at less volume and getting killer sounds at very reasonable stage volumes. Gotta have those power tubes humming if you want the V to come alive. I have found that using the presets lets me overcome room differances easier than changing my whole 3 channel eqs at every gig.

I use the preset dimed on Ch 3 all the time now. Here's a sample from the other night.

Combo, stock speaker, Extreme mode, gain at 3:00, preset EQ dimed, Les Paul. 8)

I'm the one that's actually cutting through the mix. :D

I dunno, maybe mine is a little different, but to me,using the preset knobs-they dont seem to reach as far as the sliders do-in terms of the classic v from the slider???...The slider eq(in the classic v shape) just sounds so much more real and focused, compared to if you max out the preset knob????...I wonder if you can mod the values of the preset knobs? :D

Back