Mark V new user question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
golfnguitarz said:
DrummerChas said:
Heritage Softail said:
EL34's tame the harsh treble element. Search threads for EL34's. You will find that as a recurring theme/benefit.

Thanks for your comment!

One thing I hear recurring in responses both here and on the Petrucci board where I posted a similar question is that a lot of guys switched to SED winged EL34's right away, which I also heard voids the warranty. Should I give it time with the stock tubes or should I make the switch asap? Would this tube switch out really make that big of a difference in getting that 80's hair metal, 80's rock sound and still get a good Petrucci type tone (given that I use the right effects alongside)? Really ultimately for me, those are the most critical tone types.

Another thing that seems to keep coming up is speaker choice. When I called Mesa about the vertical recto 2x12, they said they felt the V30's in them were the best all around choice. So if that is the case, why do so many people complain about the high shrill treble, ice picky sound? Would the tubes really solve it with this cab or do I really need to consider a different cab?

I am starting to come around to the conclusion that is a combination of several things. Some are saying the V30s will mellow or smooth out a bit after a proper breakin. I obviously haven't got to that point yet. They are beamy. By that, I mean if you stand directly in front, you get the ice pick highs on the vertical stack. The horizontal rectos aimed at your knees won't exhibit this unless you bend way down and get level with the speaker. This cab was highly recommended to me as well, and I am gonna stick with it for a while and see what happens.

i feel the same with the 2x12 recto vertical, im going the replace the top V30 with Eminence Cannabis Rex.

Hello,

Here is a speaker comparison that you may find useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

In my opinion, the tones coming from the GT75s are more "metallish" that those from the V30s. The perceived scooped midrange in its frequency response certainly helps, as can be confirmed by the SPL chart: (http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=5).

Very best,
Marcelo
NOWAYBACK

DrummerChas said:
Heritage Softail said:
EL34's tame the harsh treble element. Search threads for EL34's. You will find that as a recurring theme/benefit.

Thanks for your comment!

One thing I hear recurring in responses both here and on the Petrucci board where I posted a similar question is that a lot of guys switched to SED winged EL34's right away, which I also heard voids the warranty. Should I give it time with the stock tubes or should I make the switch asap? Would this tube switch out really make that big of a difference in getting that 80's hair metal, 80's rock sound and still get a good Petrucci type tone (given that I use the right effects alongside)? Really ultimately for me, those are the most critical tone types.

Another thing that seems to keep coming up is speaker choice. When I called Mesa about the vertical recto 2x12, they said they felt the V30's in them were the best all around choice. So if that is the case, why do so many people complain about the high shrill treble, ice picky sound? Would the tubes really solve it with this cab or do I really need to consider a different cab?

You can buy authentic NOS Siemens EL34 tubes directly from Boogie, go to the Mesa Hollywood store site and order away, will not void your warranty as they are backed/sold by MESA. They are pricey though.

Latest posts

Back